A couple of F12 Questions | FerrariChat

A couple of F12 Questions

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by KyleB25, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KyleB25

KyleB25 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    I just bought my 2014 F12 about a month ago. It seems to have what is a well known voltage issue with the stock battery aging out and the V12 taking a lot of power to start and keep up with.

Question 1. Has the dealer given anyone trouble about switching to the Interstate battery? Most have said this battery solves most of the voltage related gremlins? Did you buy the battery and send it with the car to the dealer or ask them to buy an install it? I know some dealers have an issue with installing owner provided parts.

Question 2. My trickle charger was working fine the last 3 weeks with the car and just recently I noticed that it does not light up the battery charging lights (half battery and full battery) Just the light that shows it is getting power from the outlet. Is it a bad charger or another gremlin?

Thank you

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations on your F12! Such a beautiful car!

1. I don't think your dealer should give you any trouble for your choice of battery.

2. Hard to say but I recommend you switch to a CTEK 7002- it is jus more robust against brown outs and does a better job in terms of maintaining than the included CTEK tender. If you go on to Amazon or eBay you can find it, just search Ferrari Ctek 7002. You will want one with the correct connector.

Solid State and sampelligrino like this.
  3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    no affiliation but found this, and I might buy one now as well for my 488 since I'm using the OEM tender and I'm paranoid about battery issues

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192366328004

4. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats the unit, the F12 uses the older style connector. I don't even bother using the factory tender anymore, I just use these.

sampelligrino likes this.
  5. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    My dealer (US) actually recommends Interstate battery.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. KyleB25

KyleB25 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    I have a 3 pin connector in the rear hatch so the magnet charger would not work? I have all ctek chargers for my other cars and they work great. Just need to find a unit with the proper connector or become a DIYer and splice the 2 together.

7. 348ts92

348ts92 Karting

Sep 27, 2002
    St Louis, USA
    Full Name:
    Magnus Tannfelt
    I had the same problem with the charger for my '15 Speciale. I opened it up and one component was burned. Bought a new OEM charger (70002821) from Scuderia Parts ($215). This is the Ctek charger model 1065 with desulphation.
    Bad OEM batteries is the cause for many of the electric problems on Ferraris.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. KyleB25

KyleB25 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
  9. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't think our cars generally need the 7amp ability, but I find the larger 7002 just holds up better over time. Its probably overkill, and I don't have a scientific explanation aside from my observations over more than a decade, but I like it.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    For the small price differential between the two identified, the 7A unit would be my pick. I have the OEM and a new MXS 5.0 and its a great unit but would do the 7002 to reduce the interval battery replacement after having done it myself. Also interesting that Interstate brand battery is being pitched when the same or better choices are readily available at much lower cost.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    can you please clarify what you mean about not using the mxs 5.0 to reduce interval battery replacement? are you thinking this charger causes a battery life problem?

12. KyleB25

KyleB25 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    I just ordered the 7a charger. I am curious what battery is better and cheaper? I was quoted just over $200 for the interstate that some on this forum have recommended.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I would go with the 7A over the 5A because the higher capacity charges the battery faster and more fully allowing the battery to last longer and lessen the interval of replacement.

I like the Varta and its available in the US under private label at your local parts stores for less money, no waiting, no shipping and get a core rebate. Some have internet coupons and specials pretty regularly but it seems Interstate noticed the popular demand of its version and keep prices stout. If it went under $200 it would be a no brainer. Just compare batteries spec by spec and you will make a wise choice. I don't recommend putting it in yourself unless you can lift those stones in the strongest man competitions and hold at arms length. Best.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. KyleB25

KyleB25 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    Haha Thanks

Yeah, I am planning to have the Dealer do it with my annual service. I am afraid of the ECU reset or something becoming an issue.

On a related topic, since my factory charger is dead and my new Ctek 7a wont be here until Monday, can I used one of my other CTek chargers without the adapter on the jump posts or will that create other problems? The car is supposed to be used in a friends wedding this weekend and I want to make sure it starts on command for the ceremonies.

Thanks

15. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you can get to the battery it should be fine to connect directly. :)

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure I follow you here. You have an F12 and want it to be reliable when it comes to batteries. Then you want cheaper than interstate? Does not add up.

I'd personally step it up a notch and go with this. https://braillebattery.com/products/b7548-1?_pos=5&_sid=092db5b18&_ss=r

Not sure what's the point of saving 150 bucks on a 200+k sportscar to get maximum enjoyment from it.

Cheap
    Reliable
    Powerful

Pick two...

17. KyleB25

KyleB25 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    I think you are jumping to a conclusion that is inaccurate. Another poster said the interstate was overpriced. I was confused at what options they were referring to that was in their words better and cheaper.

My intent all along has been to go with the interstate battery.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Let me be clear. The Interstate battery is a great battery compared to many others including the OEM brand. Unfortunately, it was not available in my area and even in the region because of being sold out. Plus, you had to drive to a store that sells it once they were back in stock which was not local to me. They were also not offering any price below full retail. A battery you cannot actually buy when you need it is not a solution so I did my homework. I compared the specs of all batteries I could research in the same group size with same or better specs and found that the exact highly recommended branded units were being sold locally as off brands and were on the shelf. For me, it was about the specs and availability.

One of the specs was also physical dimensions. There is zero tolerance in the battery box/blanket setup in the F12. Just a millimeter or too too high, wide or long and it isn't fitting. The unit I found was a Varta unit (available and recommended in Europe mostly) with a generic name which was on the shelf, fully charged and in a store ten minutes away. At the time it was also less expensive which was a bonus but that was not a driver for purchasing it.

I mentioned cheaper and better here because it is and if you do the job yourself the cost might matter otherwise just pay the dealer (which is my recommendation). There is nothing special about the Interstate battery compared to other high performing quality units. I feel Interstate has seen an increase in the demand and Ferrari and other high end owners are anxious to fix the dreaded check engine and dead electrical systems in their beloved sports cars so Interstate is even being recommended by the dealers but other solutions exist for those that wanted to know.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. gds7368

gds7368 Rookie

May 28, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    FYI: My dealer replaced the original battery in my 2015 F12 a couple weeks ago and charged just over $500

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    that is in line with what it cost me to switch from OEM to Odyssey at my local dealer as well

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. KyleB25

KyleB25 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    Car should be going to Wide World Ferrari next week. They recommended the Odyssey and I plan to have it installed.

22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I thought Odyssey, which is red-top, is oem battery. Odyssey is what I swapped out of my car for an Interstate.

Yes, prepare to have sore arms and upper body muscle ache for a few days with a diy install, unless you are seriously muscular.