HELP!! Just got my First Ferrari 360 and Top is Dumping Hydraulic Fluid inside the Car | FerrariChat

HELP!! Just got my First Ferrari 360 and Top is Dumping Hydraulic Fluid inside the Car

Discussion in '360/430' started by Stuttgart911, Sep 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Hi everyone. Wish I was posting my how excited I am about my new 360 (which I am). Went to take it out for first drive and engaged the roof and hydraulic fluid started leaking out. I pooped off the panel where it was coming from and took this video. Any ideas what this could be or where I should start. The pump sounds a little loud too which I am sure is just from low fluid so I won't run that anymore until I get leak sorted and fluid topped off.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome!!! Thank you all!

2. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    CALL ME!!
    Mike 973-610-7111

chipbiii likes this.
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    You've inherited a $3000 problem. The hydraulic ram that controls the top latches has failed. It's a rather expensive thing to replace since the lines are integral to the ram and they are buried in the top. If you're an extreme DIY, you may be able to do it yourself. Typically, someone with YEARS of experience is required to mess with the Capote cassette (the top).

The reason I know all about this is my 360 Spider, which I just bought, had the problem when it was PPI'd and the seller had the honor of correcting the problem before I picked it up.

ShadowLAP and brookliner7 like this.
  4. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    I found a company to rebuild the seals. $250 for rebuild beats $750 for new part. Will let everyone know how it goes.

gsworld2014 likes this.
  5. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Great. I was going to suggest that. Labor will be the main cost.

6. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Get both rams done at the same time. Had mine refurbished and also main pump. About $1200 as I recall. Refurbishing was about $250 a piece.

7. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    Remove and send your Ram to Cabriolet Hydraulics for repair. The cost for rebuild was around 100 bucks. They have a hose connection kit that comes with it,so all you do is cut the hoses (make sure you label the two hoses or cut at different points so they go back together correctly). Take pictures of the Ram before removal so you can install correctly once the Ram is returned. The refill procedure is described already on this discussion board. The fluid is available on Amazon. The Ram is a big failure point due to exposure to the sun with the top up. The plastic cover may need to be replaced with new because it's easily damaged when removed.

Topace and chipbiii like this.
  8. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Do you think it is worth it to send the other rams too even if they are not leaking?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Yes. Since you’ll have everything accessible, I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t.

10. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    So from what I have read there are 3 total rams that can be refurbished. Can anyone help me with locating the other 2? Are they under that same plastic piece where mine is leaking or somewhere else?

Also who do you use for the rebuilds?

11. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Unfortunately, this same problem occurred a couple of weeks ago in my 2004 Spider. Have to schedule an appointment to get it fixed. Ironically, I recently had the bands replaced that can also cause the top to not close. Not happy but will have to get it taken care of. Oh well, so far the car has been pretty darn reliable until this darn top issue.
    Wish us both luck!

12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #12 EastMemphis, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com has some really good breakdowns of the parts.
    This is table 119 hydraulic plant and electrohydraulic pump. I see 7 rams.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Somebody should engineer an electric capote and sell it to all the spider owners.

14. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    How about making a removable hardtop that looks just like the cloth top. Then you could take out 400-500 pounds of the convertible top parts.!!!

15. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Do anyone have any pointers or can describe how to remove the #3 ram pictured above? Are there any write ups? Thank you!

16. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Ok so I am good with this one. Now I am on to the #4 and #5. I don't think these hoses need to be cut. Any help appreciated?

17. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    Save your money, just fix what is leaking. You will have other problems that the prior owner was hiding from you.

Apollo 11 and EastMemphis like this.