FERRARI 288 GTO | Page 527 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You speak about privacy, but you have publicly posted above about the Lobb car and dedicated 2 pages of your published book, so doesn't that contradict privacy laws?

It's not my prerogative to describe the engine & transmission in any way at all, I know nothing about them, the descriptions suggested here are all yours, I'm simply curious as to how you concluded that they have prototype status, pre-production status, early production, or test status. You have publicly posted here describing the engine & gearbox as prototype items, and are now suggesting other status, but the question still remains unanswered, have you actually seen Ferrari SpA documentation supporting the engine & gearbox's claimed prototype status or any other status you have suggested?

2. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
    Long story short.

Bob went to Italy to buy 288s, visited the factory, took many photos, and also bought more than just spare parts. He bought a car that was crash tested. They did not sell Bob the engine or transaxle.

Bob did make molds from these panels and built 308/288 replicas but the 288 chassis was never used on these replicas as 308s have different chassis layout. The ONLY Ferrari that shares the same chassis dimensions with the 288 is the F40.

These body panels WERE on that last 308 Bob tried selling. Whatever happen to that deal is not my business. When the panels were removed from that 308 they were reinstalled back on the 288 chassis.

We are in the process of assembling the car. Whether Mr. Lobb want to reach out to Ferrari Classiche is all up to him. I work for him and I am honored to be working on this historically significant 288. I have restored over 10 cars with him including his 330gt 9405.

http://330gt.com/Detail/9405.html

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

It explains a number of things, but as I'm sure you understand, it also begs a few questions.

If they did not sell Bob an engine or transaxle, what is the source pf the engine & transaxle and how has has their status been established, which brings me back to the same question I asked Albert, is there Ferrari SpA documentation supporting the engine & gearbox's claimed prototype/pre-production/early production status?

On what basis will this car be presented as a "historically significant 288"?

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    When I was first approached with this project of reconstruction I was asked WHICH serial number would be available. My answer was none. All 288 GTO's are accounted for.
    This led to a certain frustration by the person who asked me. Clearly, this assemblage of bit and pieces, has no proper factory chassis number nor does it have paperwork.

Marcel Massini

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Joe, the (big) difference is that I have a Mr. Lobb written permission to publish them on my book. And then I put on my book only the engine and trasmission pictures, no others pictures I received (for example the car assembly), as I'm not sure what the car is, while there is no doubt about that engine and transmission shown are Ferrari factory made.

Hope you are satisfied with the explanation: if you need more details, pleas ask directly to the car owner.

ciao

Il Cavalieri likes this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I am really getting tired of all these replicas, reconstructions and all the nonsense of built-up 288's (there's a separate thread for that) and suggest to go back to the real and genuine, factory constructed 288 GTO's.
    Here's 53771 in Modena, I took this on the 7th November 1985.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Maciek, ChipG, Caeruleus11 and 5 others like this.
  7. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas

Mr. Sackey. I understand and I could answer a lot of questions but like Mr. Massini said lets keep this as the real and genuine factory constructed 288 thread.

The engine and transaxle were found in Italy 4 yrs ago. I know this also begs questions.

Transaxle N. 1 without the embossed "Ferrari" on the back cover. Same transaxle used on the pre production cars, the deck lid had the bulged cover but the opening for that has been weld it shut as you can see on the previous photos I posted. In MY opinion this is a part of the 288 history.

There are many opinions about this and some assumptions.

I did NOT bring up Mr. Lobb's "construction"/"assemblage" whatever some may call it to this thread and I planned on keeping that way.

Al

Albert-LP likes this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    ChipG, joe sackey and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Got it, no further questions.

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, please let's.

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    joe sackey likes this.
  13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Acacg and of2worlds like this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Ansa trumpet exhaust not original.

Marcel Massini

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Who cares

Alberto Mantovani

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I do.

Marcel Massini

Maciek, dm_n_stuff, ChipG and 2 others like this.
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Marcel, I think that Miles Sandy will sleep very well the same.

(PS I think everybody here already knew very well they are aftermerket Ansa trumpets, made by a famous Italian Ferrari supplier).

ciao

18. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Alberto, if Marcel states it, it's simply for clarification & posterity.
    If you feel it's irrelevant....move on.

dm_n_stuff and joe sackey like this.
  19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Ok, Bernardo: thank you.

ciao

Acacg and of2worlds like this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct, neither is the reproduction Prova plate, and it's worth noting that the gearbox was painted gold post-production as part of the first owner's fairly extensive customization, most of which has been reversed.

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The in period pictures have a special charm!

As we enjoy nit-picking the details is the red paint shown on the front bumper from the fall of 1985 a factory choice or done later?
    I can think of two other 288 GTO examples that feature the red front bumper. One is featured in the two views below.

22. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The red front bumper throws me off. Crazy how such a small detail can make a big difference. I much prefer it in black.

Acacg, of2worlds and greg288 like this.
  23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Me too. If I remember correctly, Leonardo Fioravanti wanted the all red front with the red bumper, but Materazzi and Ferrari went with the standard black front bumper. It's a matter of taste, but I think that the all red makes the front look too "heavy"

ciao

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    and yet two years later the argument was won the other way. When the 328 was introduced; there was a body color painted front bumper and rear bumper to.
    There was some consistency in that while the front bumper was occasionally red on the GTO, the rear bumper was always black.

Albert-LP and Acacg like this.