Jeep Forum | FerrariChat

Jeep Forum

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Ducman491, Sep 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hey everyone. My son wants a Jeep Wrangler for his first car and I'm looking for an older one that we can restore and work on together. Can anyone recommend a decent forum to research them?

Thanks
    Jason

2. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
  3. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    What do you want to know? Quite a few jeep guys on here. I'm restoring a '65 J200 Gladiator.

4. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I found a 1999 that appears to be in great condition from the pics online but it has a bad motor (4cyl). There is also a 1985 with 40k on a rebuilt 4cyl and a bunch of aftermarket suspension parts and a rotted frame and body. Never done an engine swap but would like to give it a shot. I'm wondering if the motor and/or any of the suspension will swap right in or if there would be a lot of welding involved. I don't weld so I'd have to outsource.

Basically I want to research as much as I can about the advantages and disadvantages to each generation before getting into one. His two younger sisters want them too so I see myself turning wrenches on Wranglers for about the next 10 years or more. ��

5. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
  6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The great thing about jeeps is that the only real limit is your ability or your wallet. If you are wanting to build it with him, I'd look for a early TJ. 1997 or newer. You'll get obdII and it's much easier to diagnose problems. Find one fairly stock and make your mark on it. I wouldn't go with a CJ unless you find a really clean one. Rust can quickly make the project go sideways. My dad has a 91 Yj wrangler. He loves it. It's a 4cyl, and while it's been flawless in reliability, it lacks power. We have 33's on it and 4.88 gears and it still could use some power.
    The 4.0 is an awesome motor. Had a Cherokee in the shop the other day with 631,247 miles on the original engine. Lots of torque.
    They can be a lot of fun and easy to build. Order a catalog from Quadratec.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that straight six 4.0 was a phenomenal motor. I wish they still made it.

8. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have heard good things about the 4.0. My brother has a Cherokee Classic with that motor and there is a parts Cherokee with one I could probably swap in to the wrangler if we go that route.

This will be his Jeep so aside from getting it road worthy and safe, upgrades will be up to him so he'll be getting a job too. My goal is to teach him a bit about how to do the work and help him along with it. We have some time but I'd like to get one soon so we can spend some time working on it before he turns 16 in April.

Thanks for all the input guys.

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    My favorite is wranglerforum. I've been a member for years, and advice I received on that forum was fantastic when I purchased my '15 Rubicon, and for all of my subsequent mods. It (in general) is very good an respectful--not at the level of F-Chat, but close. And FWIW, I am a serial Wrangler owner (have two currently, and several in the past).

10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Try to find a jeep with the 4.0. Honestly, it's about as easy to swap a 350 into one as the 4.0. Looked into it for my dads. But knowing us, we'd have to build the V8, so we would have to build the axles, and then since they were stronger, it'd need bigger tires....lol
    For ease of repairs and mods, a YJ or TJ is perfect. YJ suspension is easier to mod, but a 3" lift is pretty simple on either. Unless you're hard core off-road, 33"s are perfect.

mikesufka likes this.
  11. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I thought about the 350 swap but I think I'll stick with the 4.0 if anything so I don't have to worry about cooling system changes and things like that.

12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

You don't want the 4 cylinder. A dog. (Unless that's what you're looking for.)

Get the 4.0 L inline 6... great motor.

13. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The stock 350 doesn't really produce that much more torque than a 4.0. And there is a stroke 4.6 6cyl. A built V8 will quickly break stock axles.
    There is so much info out there. Have fun!

14. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Since I also own a 2015 Rubicon, I'm curious what mods you put on yours?

And, if you have a few pictures of it, that would be fun to see too.

This is the 3rd Wrangler for my family.

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There are a few things to remember about Jeep Wranglers:
    • They have the aerodynamics of a brick
    • Most Ferraris get better fuel economy
    • The aren't very comfortable
    • They handle terribly and are pretty squirrely in the wind
    • They are easy to work on
    • They hold their value
    • They go anywhere, and I mean anywhere they want
    • They are fun
    • 16 year old boys think the only thing cooler than Jeep Wranglers are 16 year old girls

Have fun!

Oh, get a 6 cyl. You can run faster than the 4 cyl

Scotty likes this.
  16. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    I would buy a Jeep as a "project / fun" car for you and your son, and then a nice sedan with airbags and abs for him to drive to school, dates, sneak out at night, steal your beers etc.

Watch this video.

http://youtu.be/1_ptUrQOMPs

17. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    A girlfriend had the 4cyl YJ. It was new at the time 1991. My P-car was in the shop over one weekend. We had reservations for a Kelowna trip. We took the Jeep. Thought not bad we have an open air experience. I drove it many times around the lower mainland of Vancouver and it was a fine vehicle. But going over the mountains and in the higher elevations of Kelowna, it was a major gutless slow poke. I say its fine for city driving. But if in mountains, lots of hills, high elevation. Id get the 4.0.

18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This thread needs bump. How's the new JL Wrangler?

19. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    The big things about Jeeps (to add to the above list) is that solid axle articulation beats independent rear suspension articulation ALWAYS and there are 8 bazillion aftermarket parts available. But there are really only a couple good reasons to buy one (ignoring the "you want one"): for hard core offroading, for a 5 place convertible, or because you hate technology, modern conveniences, etc.

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus