Pete Singhof testimonial thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pete Singhof testimonial thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Sep 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Don't we all?

stavura, moretti, ypsilon and 2 others like this.
  2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Anyone who is a fan of the 635CSI, enough so to use it as their user ID here, is ok in my book, no matter what william says. :D

D

Jeronimo GTO, 635CSI and VPX like this.
  3. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Look, I get your point re: rules. I've read them and know you've given latitude to the stated "3 strikes policy" But hell, I was banned last fall over a silly syntax joke. Without being given the opportunity to clarify. I sent you gents a PM. No response. Upon my subsequent reinstatement the "offended party" actually saw the humor and apologized to ME.

So with Sid's recent 1 race = 4 weeks banishment, Peter's permanent banishment, and my own lesser experience....I think the moderation is not moderate. I think it plays into the hands of the non-tifosi trolls on F-chat, spring-loaded to flag a post, which flat seems wrong.

Just look at Sid's attempts to keep a few threads "Tifosi Only" and how some trolls could not keep themselves from jumping in. Yes, thread bans were handed out, but they will continue to intentionally sow discord elsewhere.

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Dave, i don't think anyone oposes to this being an "open forum", but the fact that is open, shouldn't mean that you can come here just to pester and harass other members. It's not about being a blind Ferrari fan or s simple f.1 lover, but i think it's quite clear to everyone involved that certain individuals do not seek this place to chat, to learn or to be informed about f.1, rather use it as a mean to engage and provoke other member, why? i don't know, i guess it amuses and pleasures them.
    I know you guys moderate them, but you also know it's not that difficult to keep poking someone without really crossing the line, heck it happens everyday. If they get banned from time to time it doesn't matter, because unlike those that are here every day, that create threads, that share information and pictures and knowledge, they just don't care, their goal is simply to annoy, provoke an argument, and if they can get someone banned, hell, they just made their day. I'm pretty sure you guys know this to be true.
    I also understand and obviously respect the fact that the owners wish to keep this forum open to everyone, it's their forum after all, and they can and should do as they please,()and believe me, i personally am immensely greatfull for having such a place, where i learnt more about Ferrari than i could ever dreamed of!) but i believe that the people that "make" this place, contribute to it, should at least give their honest opinion, and that's what me and others are doing. This would work, as it did for many years if the sole objective of some people weren't to simply disrupt the peace of the f.1 section. You guys say "use the ignore function", and i agree, it works, but we shouldn't have to, and sport has always been a passionate discussion, so you know just how hard it is to keep your mouth shut when you read the sort of things some people post around here!
    So, to keep it as short as i can, i think we all know what's going on, The Ferrari fans, the f.1 fans, the mods, and the Trolls, and i don't think this is going the right way. This is why i suggested a Ferrari f.1 zone, where i'm sure nobody would mind any f.1 fan could enter, just not trolls that want to tell us how good Elton is! Something like the Aussie section, wich i think works beautifully! Should i guys decide that's not possible i guess the only other option is to put the long list of Trolls on ignore, i guess that should work i and pretty sure many other will do it, but this should not be the solution to this section problems.
    Ps: And no, i'm not misdirecting my "anger", i'm used to watch ferrari losing titles, heck, i grew up with the "Sheckter sindrome", but i could use without others trashing the team and drivers i cheer every single day.

635CSI, stavura, moretti and 4 others like this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You perfectly reiterate my point. Peter was in discussion with a mod who refuses to answer his question and simply banned Peter.

The vast majority of us are truly interested in F1. Peter included. He had no agenda.

This forum STILL has a few select users who are doing their utmost best by making it a ''support LH44, or else'' place. If you say something even remotely ''bad'' about Lewis (lets say he ****ed up a race), you'll immediately be called out a ''hater'' and so forth. This hasn't changed since the toil days, who as you very well know took YEARS to get banned and still to this day (!!!) harasses users (that you moderators HAVE been made aware off!).

I know full well what the new ferrarichat.com overlords have told the moderators that it's supposed to be a place of ''inclusion'' and all fans of all drivers should be welcomed.

First of all, they most certainly are. There are plenty of sensible Lewis fans here. Similarly I was a big fan of Vettel when he was winning everything and Vettel was LOATHED on this forum. Week in week out it was the same ****...guess what? I knew I was on a Ferrari forum (of course it's my favourite team), and I was certainly no fan of Alonso, which made the potential for arguments even bigger. I put up with it and so did almost all other users.

There are some users here that we've interacted with over the years I know for a FACT would send a message if they where in my location or if I was visiting theirs. For a beer or a meal. And many of these we don't even share the same view about drivers/teams on!

The way Ferrarichat F1 section is going? I have sincere doubts this will be the case 1 year from now if the moderators keep banning ''established'' members simply because they can't win an argument.

There's a decent sized group of us in contact beyond this forum with each other. Many of us feel the same way.

The LH44 aggressors, that almost never seem to be dealt with, will leave this place the very moment their mission is concluded (get a load of us banned). They feed on pissing off others. It's their sole enjoyment in life. The moment most of us are banned, and those that haven't been banned yet but a lot of their friends have disappeared, they'll have no one to argue with so will leave.

And that leaves the F1 section a desert town. The new Fchat overlords won't be happy with that but good luck trying to restore it.

Peter has never been offensive. I was SHOCKED to see him banned for THAT.

F1 section is a special breed. The full forum bans that many of us get for minor offenses called in the heat of the moment will kill the section off, I'll tell you that much.

The thread ban you guys give people, and F1 section bans, I can live with. Sometimes a time out is needed. The purpose of this forum is connecting people with each other, correct? A full forum ban is counter productive. Especially when you take in mind that outside of the F1 section, where emotion sometimes gets the better of us, no one ever gets in a heated argument outside the F1 section.

LVP488, Steve355F1, stavura and 7 others like this.
  6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You're incorrect. The only posts of P.Singhof that had ? marks were these:

which was answered with

and

which was answered with

and

which was not answered, because the questions were rhetorical.

These answers are short because I have a lengthy PM folder of conversations with Peter going back to 2018 going over these same "questions". So no, I didn't feel it necessary to expound on these answers for the 5th or 6th time, but each meaningful question was in fact answered. :cool:

The rest of your post is also a repetition of what has already been addressed several times here and elsewhere. What it comes down to is certain users are successful at pushing your buttons, you don't have thick enough skin to tolerate it, you can't be bothered to put users on ignore, you don't want to stick with the new thread format created to address your complaint because you are still bothered that these certain users get to post on the rest of the F1 forum, there are enough of you telling yourselves the same thing that you feel reinforced, and you want to blame the moderation for a situation that you don't want to deal with. We have heard this, again, and again, and again, and again, and ...; We have assessed how many users we think are in this camp, applied the objectives of the owners, thought about what should be done, and answered it the same way each time. Repetition does not make your case stronger, excepting that we are offering the new thread format as a recent change. If you guys want to reject this offer, that's up to you, but don't think that doing so will get you a better offer. :cool:

You're also incorrect that the rest of the forum is all harmonious. There's plenty of bickering in the model forums between 488 and 720 owners or fans of LaFerrari vs P1 vs 918s. Also, the P&R forum is at least as bad as F1, with constant bickering between liberal and conservative users, and we moderate it the exactly the same way. The difference is that neither side expects special treatment there, unlike some of you here.

NeuroBeaker, william and ricksb like this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    D[/QUOTE]

My comment seems completely taken out of context.
    If I recall correctly, it came after a question by 635CSI as to what I was doing on this forum.
    He objected to me posting on FC, hinting that the thread I was only for tifosi.
    I don't remember exactly what I say, but I think I refered him to the mods if he wished to complain about my presence on the forum.

8. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    I sometimes wonder on what basis someone can become a moderator here.

daytona355 likes this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    With the F1 guys? That is what I meant. The F1 guys don't really have arguments in other sections.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Doubtful.

Your rhetorical question is simply a cheap shot at guys who love this place and do whatever they can to try and keep the peace.

If you're really curious, here's what happens. After being nominated by the selection committee, a potential moderator goes through rigorous psychological testing and then 12 weeks of moderator training, where they are carefully watched by senior staff in what is essentially a "ride along" scenario. Get through that and you're tossed into F1 to moderate as a final test. If you can do that for 24 hours without breaking down and begging to be relieved, you are accepted into the team and assigned a permanent detail, generally in a forum that you have no interest in or useful knowledge of to impart to others, eventually rising to the title of "Global Moderator."

I kid, I kid.

We put random user names in a virtual hat and pull one out, then we turn 'em loose here. :D

D

kes7u and ATBNM3 like this.
  11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ...I heard they pick you guys for the "avatar"..if that's indeed the case, you fully justify your choice ! :)

Jeronimo GTO and VPX like this.
  12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Interesting you should note that. :) In my years here I have used over 125 different avatars. Here are some of my favorites.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2827716 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Lolo, i remenber quite a few....the second one is definitely my favourite!

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I would like to put a gif as avatar...but they always exceed 50k!

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think this is my personal favorite.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

pilotoCS and william like this.
  16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's the one I remember you most for

17. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #67 ylshih, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    OK, I get your point now. Users generally know what they shouldn't do so as to avoid a ban. Any user who is at the race ban/site ban level has already had notices/warnings/thread bans and ignored those.

Here's the thing, we're only at this point because some users persistently ignore what we've been trying to tell them. We don't want to ban anyone temporarily or permanently, we do so to get a behavior modification or after we understand that behavior modification isn't ever going to happen. We had to institute 30 day bans and 3 strikes/you're out rules for a couple of years because of this and even that only got their attention as long as it was in effect. 1 race bans are relatively recent and are an attempt to fine tune the time period to one that was just effective enough to have a similar effect without being as long as 30 days. We were trying to be easier, but, if we have to, we can go back to 30 days and 3 strikes/you're out. That's going to be based on how users respond to our moderation actions, and I don't mean this kind of discussion, but rather their actual behavior to other users.

Thread bans are really for our convenience and relatively recent. They are a combination warning and a removal of the temptation to get in a parting shot or return engagement by the user ejected so that we don't have to continuously monitor a thread for the next few days. Site bans are meant to be painful and if a site ban isn't getting the behavior adaptation we're looking for, then we're certainly not going to get it with an F1 forum ban. The F1 forum ban is actually viewed by us as a last resort to salvage a user who has other redeeming qualities but has a problem in a specific forum based on a long series of moderation actions, and not as an intermediate step before a site ban. It's also viewed as a last resort because of the mechanics of use; it's not accessible to most mods and it's not automated like thread bans or site bans, but has to be engaged and disengaged manually.

NeuroBeaker, dm_n_stuff and william like this.
  18. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Too much Hamilton-ish (cry-baby) :D Try sth more neutral :D Cheers!

dm_n_stuff and Nortonious like this.
  19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

20. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Absolute twaddle !!!

I got banned for posting a photo of a horse with blinkers on suggesting furoni had a fixation for Alonso but was taken as me calling him an was

No warning no PM just a blanket forum wide ban ....... and as a former mod that was rubbish and you know it so don't come on here all high and mighty with that dribble

I know you're a lawyer hence my distrust but I also know you helped Rob Lay with many "incidents" over the years (MM comes to mind) so you can't be all bad :)

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  21. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    BTW furoni and I are mates and
    were at the time

22. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I've enjoyed browsing through Pete's photos and admiring his photography for I don't know how many years over on the Barchetta site. I was thrilled to see him participating, and interacting with him, here in the F1 section. If anything, he should be an honorary member with his credentials. Bring him back! Bring him back! Bring him back! :D

furoni, stavura, Jack-the-lad and 2 others like this.
  23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #73 ylshih, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    I am not a lawyer, so I don't know where you got that from. :confused:

We don't restart the warning cycle for every new incident or new misbehavior. We stop giving warnings when a user has been adequately notified of the rules of the site or if the misbehavior is generally unacceptable anywhere, not just here.

Your watchlist thread is many pages long, so you've been adequately "warned" for many years. In any case, as a former mod, there is no reason you need to be warned about most things except recent rule changes.

I don't recall the incident or who banned you, but if the picture was taken as you calling him an "ass", it's obvious why the ban. Was an appeal made on the misinterpretation and was it rejected?

Edit: OK, I found it. It was apparently Andrew and he reviewed it, realized the different interpretation, and lifted the ban. So, you're still harboring a grudge about it?

24. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham

My comment seems completely taken out of context.
    If I recall correctly, it came after a question by 635CSI as to what I was doing on this forum.
    He objected to me posting on FC, hinting that the thread I was only for tifosi.
    I don't remember exactly what I say, but I think I refered him to the mods if he wished to complain about my presence on the forum.[/QUOTE]

You don’t recall correctly.

25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You don’t recall correctly.[/QUOTE]

Go on, give us your version then !!

I think it was after a Ferrari defeat, earlier in the year.
    You questioned my presence on a thread which, according to you, was only for tifosi to commiserate.
    Maybe that will refresh your memory ?