488 upgrade worth it? | FerrariChat

488 upgrade worth it?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pigcorn, Sep 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pigcorn

pigcorn Rookie

Apr 10, 2007
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I own a 2019 Porsche Turbo S cabrio, fully loaded high (for that model) msrp. Carbon and leather everywhere etc. Bought it in April for ~225k.

Love the car and it’s crazy fast and built like a tank and a sports car all in one.

But have had my eye on a 2017 488 Ferrari spider with a very unique color combo exterior and interior and one has come up for $295k (over $400 msrp) and it has about 3500 miles at a 3rd party exotic car dealer.

By the time I get out of the 2019 and into the 488 it would roughly $100k out of pocket to upgrade.

Thoughts on if that isn’t worth it?

2. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I think it's really down on whether the looks (inside and out) and the badge are worth $100k to you.

They're both stupid fast with great dynamics.

If you wait a few months the delta will be much less as you're catching a falling knife there.

TUTTSF, dustman and schwoo like this.
  3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If you like the car go buy it. Tomorrow is not promised. I’ve never seen a Brinks truck behind a hearse. As far as timing values it’s all bs. You will loose money but the enjoyment is second to none.

Viperjoe, Chizz, Thecadster and 5 others like this.
  4. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    #4 mkraft3003, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    That is a very personal question. Which do you like more? Is the 100k out of pocket going to affect your lifestyle in any way? If you are asking which is a better car, both are great. The Turbo S cabrio is an incredibly Car and you can daily drive. IMO, for what it’s worth, if you see a turbo s and a 488 next to each, the 488 is going to get all the attention. very few people will pay any attention to the turbo s. But this really depends on whether you want the attention or not. Good luck with your decision.

F-1 likes this.
  5. pigcorn

pigcorn Rookie

Apr 10, 2007
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #5 pigcorn, Sep 20, 2019
    Thanks guys, yeah I get it is a personal decision. $100k is not meaningless to me but also won't disturb my lifestyle. Reality is I wish I could get both as they are two different cars but living in NYC and it would make it my 3rd car along with my Range Rover.

Ah 488 is Fuji and my 911 is clay with Turbo aero kit. Ha they have a lot in common in the looks department but the 488 looks and brand wins hands down in the attention department as mentioned.....I think where I am at is it is worth $50k more to me ;-)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

SVCalifornia and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Nice dilemma to have. The 488 spider is an awesome car. The challenge in the secondary market is getting a car in the interior and exterior you desire so glad you found one. This appears to be highly specced since MSRP is over 400k. You get 1 more year of factory warranty and 5 more years of maintenance. I say go for it but see if you can still bargain for an even lower price with PPI.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    As many have opined here, Ferraris and Porsches are different animals. I have both, and to put it plainly the Ferrari is an "event" to drive, where the Porsche is a car. More practical.

Actualizer, Melvok, Chizz and 2 others like this.
  8. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I would agree with this. If I had both and it was a sunny day and I wanted to go out for a fun drive to put a smile on my face, I’m reaching for the 488 keys. However if you were going to sit on the LIE for 2 hours I would grab the turbo s keys. I’ve had 3 Porsche’s and the fit and finish is outstanding. Like a fine tailored suit. With that being said for a weekend fun car the 488 is a true super car.

Melvok and Chizz like this.
  9. pigcorn

pigcorn Rookie

Apr 10, 2007
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Great points. Well I am doing mostly Sunday drives (however those are still on the LIE for 2 hours :)

10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Agree as above- I came from Porsches . What you may not appreciate is how much lower the 488 is and what this means even with lifter. I do not hesitate to take my 488 on a Saturday full of errands, the fact is the 911 is more practical and perhaps even with Aero, more under the radar.

Have you driven the 488? Drive it and if it puts a smile above and beyond a 911 turbo s smile, buy it . Go see Kevin at Ferrari of LI. He’ll take care of you and I bet he could get that car and make you a customer if that’s what you want a bit closer to home.

Let us know - there’s no wrong answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Brutal. Every time I’m up there for business I dreed the LIE traffic.

12. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    x2, well said

Coming from 3 991s into my 488, the upgrade was very much worth it to me (GT3 to 488). Just a totally different experience that I'm glad to have

Also as far as timing and values go I don't think it's just 488 related. Same will go for your 991.2 TTS, McLaren, Lambo, just about anything. Same for pretty much everything standard production as now even Porsche GT cars which can cost half as much are now depreciating. Wouldn't bore into stemming the bleeding or minimizing loss, but instead I'd focus on what will I get most enjoyment out of for this kind of money

Cigarzman, JohnTz and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Different types of smiles ... so many meh days turned around in my TTS just by doing ten+ consecutive launches, and then there's this type of smile that I just wouldn't trust a 488 to give me hours on end:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally if I'm going to give up the NA engine to get a TT cab cruiser, even at even money I'd choose the TTS over the 488, much less at $100k over ... but again that's just me and there's no correct answer other than the one that makes sense to the one that's spending the dollars. :)

ScottS, dustman and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. BLKBLK

BLKBLK Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2011
    Go for it. 488 is one of the most comfortable exotic cars I have owned. It will be just as much, if not more comfortable than 991.2. I also have a Huracan, but 488 is always the car I want to drive. Probably will sell Huracan soon.

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    You're insane Serge. Just messing around :) but to further the point there is no correct answer, I'm the direct opposite. I went from the outstanding engine in the 4.0 NA flat 6 Gt3 to the 488 and I'd say I'm having 10x as much fun and enjoyment in the 488. Even to the extent I can happily say I spent 160k to make that jump because it's just so damn fun! And I would do the exact same for the TTS which is an incredible swiss army knife (as most if not all 911s), but I didn't find a lot of emotion in the car personally. YMMV

ScottS and soulsea like this.
  16. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    ^ All of this is true.

sampelligrino likes this.
  17. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

So - like you I have 911, Ferrari's and Range Rover. I would sell the RR and keep the 911 and 488. :)

But - now onto reality. In my view - the 488 is not a great second car, it is really a third (or more) car. There are just some places that I don't want to take it to. The 911, even your crazy nice one, can be taken almost anywhere.

As someone else mentioned above, the 488 is more of an "event" than the Porsche will ever be. It is different. If you cant have all three, then just decide your lifestyle. BTW - your car looks great, and so does the 488 that is in your pic, that is a great combo.

ScottS and SoCal to az like this.
  18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You came to Ferrarichat to ask if you should get a Ferrari? :)

I say if you want a car that is just more exotic and more special then get it! Beautiful spec of what I can see. No one knows what tomorrow brings. I think the 488 is fairly easy to live with- but you will get more attention than in the Porsche.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I really don't get this philosophy.....I'd rather have nothing than make poor financial decisions.....they are just cars.

And I have doubts that the delta is only $100k........Porsche Turbos drop like stones, really big stones....and the one the OP has is super loaded at $225k and trade in values won't account for high option cars.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #20 Shark01, Sep 20, 2019
    Fuji is the single best color Ferrari uses (unfortunately, color choices isn't their stong suit) IMO and many others. I saw one up close once and it was quite the experience

21. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Burning 100k. Wouldn’t do it. Would either wait a bit as 488s sink, or would order an f8. Don’t see a massive advantage over the 911 to justify the loss.

22. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I have a 458 & new GT3. The 458 drive train is amazing but some of the other bits are under engineered/cheesy when compared to the over engineered Porsche. I do love my 458 but if I could only have 1 sports car and not 3, I would definitely go with a NA Porsche.

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    225k for a porsche? omg. i almost fainted.

brookliner7, pdxjim488 and dustman like this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    No brainer. 488 FTW. You can thank me later.

25. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I have a 991.2 TTS Cab and a 458 Spider. I drove the 488 Spider but felt is was too similar to the Porsche, both being turbo cars. I preferred the NA 458 with an exhaust sound that you can't get with the TTS or the 488. TTS is a finely tuned razor sharp instrument. 458 is hell on wheels, it gets under your skin at redline.

My 2 cents: get both ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

xfrgtr, rob5819, soulsea and 2 others like this.