355 - Shock removal | FerrariChat

355 Shock removal

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, Sep 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Do you need a spring compresser to remove shocks or just unwind the spring perches and unbolt shocks?

2. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    #2 Jackie and bill, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Yes you need spring compressors if you want to remove the spring its self from the assembly.
    By the way the spring seats have two different sizes. So two different size adjustment scanners are needed. Unless you can do it with some adjustable tool.

3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The entire shock assembly can be removed without touching the springs. As the car is jacked off the ground the springs will be at max droop and can easily be removed.

Mike Morrissey and phrogs like this.
  4. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This is shocking!

Sorry.

Qavion and 97 Spider like this.
  5. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If you’re asking about removing from the car there is no need to touch the spring. It is an assembly that removes together as the picture below shows.
    If you want to remove the spring from the assembly then yes compress the spring or you wouldn’t like what happens to those last threads as you unscrews the perch. (Or your face or other body parts in the way)

I would suggest you keep up the research before touching anything. We’re here for you.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

spaghetti_jet, ShineKen and 308 GTB like this.
  6. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

In the front, do you need to disconnect sway bar link or tie rod?

7. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Oh so it was just the simple strutt assembly you wanted to remove and not the spring.
    Your welcome anyway.
    Look out for dropping/loosing the spacers from each side of the shocks when removing. Good luck ;)

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Just get in there and do it. There is nothing like experience to teach you what has to be done. It's just like playing with Tinker Toys.

9. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to come across as rude ;)

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't thinks it rude. It's encouragement. :)

Can you imagine the first guy to attempt a DIY engine out? Just do it! It's all just nut and bolts. From reading these posts for years I think people thing the Ferrari is special, but it's no different than any other car, like a Mazda Miata (only the Miata is probably better designed). ;) Double wish bone suspension with coil overs is pretty old technology.

11. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Just wanting to know how much room is needed to get shock out. Moton shocks need rebuild after 15 years because canisters are leaking nitrogen. I've done a lot of DYI in 20 yrs of ownership on this car. Done most of the mods myself including brakes, gauges, headers, Goth exhaust which required cutting holes in the bumper, complete gold kit including computers. No offense taken. Can't except any other response from someone that has "grumpy" in there signature.

Challenge likes this.
  12. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I'm sure he can "just get in there and do it", but sometimes it's nice to check to make sure there's no special tools required that would hold anything up or any traps to fall into.
    I wish I would have read that the airbag light would come on if you unplugged the cluster before I did that lol.

13. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    No my friend, I did not say yours was rude, far from it.
    It's just that on the internet, some guys with good intentions, come across as rude.......that's me lol :D

14. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Hi Bob,

Honestly I can’t recall but I do think the front was tighter than the rear for removal. It was very straight forward with OEM shocks.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    See, here we go. Just jack it up and start unbolting sh**. :) If all else fails get out the cutting torch!:D

Come on Ken, surely you know that you don't mess with any electronics with the battery connected? :rolleyes:

Just kidding. I made a similar mistake years ago on my BMW. Fortunately BMW dealers are pretty common and it was easy to get the air bag light reset.

16. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I said research a little more before touching anything because he was talking about (unnecessary) removing springs which can, and have been, deadly when people get in the thinking they are playing with “tinker toys”. His experience could teach him what a cracked skull and half a face ripped off feels like.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I understand where you are coming form and appreciate your concern for safety, but how about a little logic. Either he wants to remove the entire coil over shock assembly, or he want to separate the spring and shock. In the latter case, he would need a spring compressor and can not avoid the associated danger. If the former, which seem to be the case, getting in there and just doing it, it would be come evident that the assembly can easily be removed without any dicking around with the spring. Common sense and a little mechanical aptitude would lead you down that path. The only question is do you have to entirely remove the hub and disconnect the sway bar? Again, getting in there to do it will answer those question as well. And think further, how would you even remove the spring from the shock while the shock was on the car? By he time you got to that point it would be more that obvious that if you could get the spring off there would be more than enough room to removed the entire assembly.

Jackie and bill likes this.
  18. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    You can remove each assembly from the car without a spring compressor. Going by memory you need to have both sides of the either the front, or rear, hanging off the floor when you pull either side, as this adds down force to push the hub down on the side your working on and gives you enough room to pull the assembly out. For the backs I recall you have to remove the end link mount, for the fronts I recall swinging the hub down off it's top bolt - however I may have it confused with the 308. I don't recall any special tools, but do recall using a wood block and jack to adjust the hub height when reinstalling the assembly to line up the bolt holes.

For the fronts, make sure before you pull it all apart you count how many shims are in front of the shock, and behind the shock, at the bottom where it is bolted to the arm. You need to put them back in place exactly from where they came out. Don't just pull it all apart and watch them go flying all over the floor.

With the assembly on your bench, use 2 spring compressors to break it apart, it's easier and the redundancy is safer.

1st 2 photos are of the front, 3rd is the rear.

Front:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Front Shims: Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rear End Link: Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen, 308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  19. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    If you notice the photo of the front, there are 2 bolts holding in the shims. When I removed the lower front shock bolts, to not loose site of the shims I removed one bolt fully, following it when backing it out of the hole with a screwdriver, to keep everything in place. Then I removed the other bolt. Then I was able to push the shims down on one side and nylon tie them together before removing the screwdriver to catch the now tied together packet of shims. Then I tied that packet of shims to the arm on the side they belong. Then removed the screw drive fully and did the same for the shims on the other side of the shock. This way when the shock came back from rebuild there was no question where the shims went back.

20. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If you go back and read his first post it’s pretty clear he want to remove the shock assembly but thinks he needs to unwind the spring perches. Your faith in common sense is a mistake. Common sense is not so common and you can’t assume it exists. I spent 25 years working for a major corporation in a dangerous field where they preached that there was no such thing as common sense. People died everyday doing things one might think are common sense. We reviewed fatalities in the industry weekly and I can’t tell you how many times someone was dead and sometimes killed others with them because they were sent to do a “common sense” task for the first time and left to figure it out for themselves. I remember thinking sooo many times “how could they do that? How did they not understand the danger? How could they not see they were about to kill there selves?” But they did, because they had no idea, they couldn’t see the danger right in front of them. I’ve seen the after effects, too many grieving families. Sorry it’s ingrained in me after all that to never trust that just anyone can get in there and figure it out as they go without serious risk.

21. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Holy Sh** Badman. That's a surprise. ;)

Congrats Bob. I'm so please you're not dead. :)

23. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Dont speak to soon, he has to put them back on and test drive it yet ;)

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Not sure if you guys have heard the unfortunate news, but our fellow Fchat comrade @97 Spider has passed away. I did not know him or interact with him, but he seemed to be a very helpful member.

My condolences and may his helpful posts here carry on forever.

Jackie and bill and Qavion like this.
  25. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    wow.. what happended? i found his past posts very helpful. my condolences.