488 upgrade worth it? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 upgrade worth it?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pigcorn, Sep 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Which Rosso? Gorge.

2. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    mine is Rosso Maranello

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    488 too similar to your 911.
    Better would be a 720s.
    Or go down to a 458 for a more thrilling albeit slower experience.

I don’t get the point of a $225k 911 honestly.

xfrgtr and soulsea like this.
  4. pigcorn

pigcorn Rookie

Apr 10, 2007
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thx guys will let you know what I decide!

ScottS likes this.
  5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I traded my 991 tts off for the 2017 Cali T HS and then that for the 488 spider. I haven't really missed the TTS but it was a great car.

6. Lobekay

Lobekay Rookie

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lob Lob
    Ooh. I'm gonna get in trouble for this.
    But here goes!
    With your possession of a 911 Turbo S Cab and my being a proud owner of a 2019 488 GTS, I envy you.
    [Background: traded in a 991 911 4S Cab for a Cali T. Then traded up to the 488]
    As other authors wrote, driving a 488 is an "occasion," so much so that I failed to drive it this past weekend, despite a plan to do so.
    Why? Constant episodic bouts of rain. Despite relative clear weather on this past Saturday, the threat of (more) rain kept the car garaged.
    Would I have acted the same way with such a 911? Definitely not (and not necessarily because of the all-wheel drive)!
    The 911 TurboS Cab is currently my 'dream car.' The two cars are different in many ways, with my feeling much more comfortable in a 911. A friend who had a 911 and a F430 once said: "one does what I want and for the other, I do what it wants"
    Anyway, strong advice: keep the 911 and enjoy it. Invest the 100K and wait to put in a deposit for a SF90 Spider. Such an upgrade would be a great 'investment.' The SF90 is amply revolutionary to warrant such a change.

7. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    haha, yes, you are on a Ferrari forum, but I feel your sentiment

I had plans to sell my 991.2 TTS Cab after buying the 458 Spider, but just could not part with it. Now I'm glad I kept it, for the reasons you explained so well. The two cars are so different and I enjoy them both, depending on the day and the weather! haha

We are so blessed to drive these cars

soulsea likes this.
  8. pigcorn

pigcorn Rookie

Apr 10, 2007
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Well thought it over and I get crushed on the 991TTS trade in (dropped $40k in 5 months) And I do love the car, So need to wait til I can get both. Thanks for all the comments and insights

sampelligrino likes this.
  9. Dan D'Agostino

Oct 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Daniel D'Agostino
    I did It Although I am a big Porsche fan I traded in My 2017 turbo S on a 2018 488 GTB Ferrari The Ferrari is just so much more fun to drive period

Coincid and sampelligrino like this.
  10. Dan D'Agostino

Oct 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Daniel D'Agostino
    I don't disagree with the weather problem I live in Scottsdale so most days are Ferrari days and I drive mine with out regert

ScottS likes this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The ultimate enjoyment of super car ownership is fully realized by driving it. Analogous to assembling a high end audio system but never listening to music.

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Couldn’t agree more. Personally, never quite understood the hype/fever of buying a pre-owned Ferrari with extremely low miles. You can’t drive the car EVER, otherwise the premium will evaporate and the hit will be huge. Only option is to pay a premium, never drive it, and sell with a premium, which equals to zero enjoyment. But that’s just me. I’m sure it’ll make sense to some, but imvho a car is meant to be driven. Any car. If one wants to just stare at something, I’d recommend a painting.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

R37047, Gh21631, italiafan and 3 others like this.
  13. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Fantastic reply here. I have a 2018 911 turbo and a 2017 Cali T. While I used to be a Porsche fanatic, the Ferrari is truly an addictive experience. I paid more for the 911 but the Cali is the head turner.
    The sound, the drive, the look... the Ferrari is second to none. I can’t wait to get a 458 or 488

14. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    ^^^^^ this

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Go to your dealer and drive a 458 and a 488.

Choose model end find a good used one with 20K miles …. :)

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The most recent car is rarely the best value for money, but it's usually the best car - if the 488 sees its price discounted because of popular turbo hate, it's a bargain.
    The 488 is actually just an improved 458, getting some of the power it deserves while the 458 falls short in this respect.

IloveGT and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  17. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Agree, although I’d like to point out that in my very humble opinion, making the right claim that the 488 is faster doesn’t translate into saying the 458 is underpowered.

Indeed the 488 is going to be a bargain in no time, which means more owners will buy and enjoy them how they deserve: on the road instead of sitting in a garage or showroom.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

xfrgtr likes this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    IMO no, but it depends what you like and prioritize in an exotic. 488 is a ton faster and quicker on track for sure.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  19. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Especially on the track, but not only.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Some view the difference between the 458 and the 488 analogous to dining at 2 restaurants with similar
    decor and ambiance but the cuisine at one restaurant is rated 4.5 stars and the portions are ample while the other is 5 star but the portions are not as generous.

458 owners prefer the latter dining establishment while 488 might opt for the former. The combination of the best of both restaurants would prove ideal.

21. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Nice Porsche, i see its still in primer, what colour will u paint it? :)

martisracing and cy0811 like this.
  22. R37047

R37047 Rookie

Jun 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I hate to join in and ask a question that has probably been asked....but I have reached a point in life where I'm I don't want to wait to buy any longer. At first, I wanted 458 because I was looking at the $$ depreciation curve...... but the more I looked...... the more I love the lines on the 488, and I had pretty much decided on wanting a GTB simply because I really love seeing the engine...

My question is buy 2016 at around 210-215 with over 12K miles or move up to 2018 with 5 K miles and pay in the 250-260 and get a unique color that catches my eye. The only potential downside of 2018 is I believe it has been in one of these cross country rallies. So much question is how much is it worth it to bump up to 2018 that will have maintenance until 2025 and warranty through 2023 with the 2-year extended option. HELP with some guidance, please...

The last question, given it is October, should I wait till early next year and hope the car I want is out there and wait to find it???

THANKS,,,

I know I ask a lot of questions but I'm new, and I know more than anyone that no one is guaranteed tomorrow.

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You have to decide 458 or 488 by testing them.
    Then decide enjoy now and accept the depreciation....or buy later and accept the depreciation.

Thecadster and soulsea like this.
  24. R37047

R37047 Rookie

Jun 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rich
    both of the cars I'm looking at are 488 GTB one is 2016 and the other is 2018 ..... thus the questions...

25. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    458 aside, I think the confusion comes because you seem to indicate that you don't want to base your decision on value but then ask what is essentially a value question.

You also state that you don't want to wait to buy any longer and then ask if you should wait to buy.

The basic answer to your questions is that all 488s will continue to decline in value in the near future, so the equation of choosing between a newer higher priced one or an older higher mileage lower priced one is a standard one as it relates the same way to a 488 as it does to a Camry. Only you can decide where your personal sweet spot is in that equation. And yes waiting will make them all cheaper but then you're not driving one as you wait.

As far as the the cross country rally thing, unless something alarming shows up in the carfax or the car's service history, I would disregard it. These cars are built to be driven hard, and in any case someone can drive one ever harder without ever running a rally. Plus as an 18 you've got a long term warranty safety net anyway.

Thecadster and LVP488 like this.