Silverstone Auctions 21st September 2019 | FerrariChat

Silverstone Auctions 21st September 2019

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 21ATS, Sep 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    All the 575s are listed as "manual". All of them are F1s. One of them sneakily doesn't show the transmission tunnel at all in the images, but you can just make out the paddles in the soft-focus image they provide.

Six Maranellos. I wonder if they told the consignors they were in such abundant company.

4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I am afraid you may be seeing things:

The titles are clear:

Lot No. 311 - 2004 Ferrari 575M Maranello F1 Fiorano

Lot No. 313 - 2002 Ferrari 575M Maranello F1

Lot No. 318 - 2003 Ferrari 575M Maranello F1 Fiorano

I don't see any subterfuge.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    And that's the a-maz-ing thing about the Internet, they can update things. The listings were as manuals yesterday. It's good to see they have been prodded into clarity.

Meanwhile, BarryK, it is so nice to hear your dulcet tones on this forum again, I speak for many when I say we have missed you enormously. You will forgive me if I perhaps don't respond to you as much as I should.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    They still have a Daytona toolkit listed as "complete" which is clearly missing two screwdrivers. It makes one consider outbidding everyone and then refusing to pay because the item has been misdescribed. If they cannot be bothered to give accurate descriptions, they should not be in the business.

7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    And the truly amazing thing is how the auctioneer managed a feat of time travel to correct the listings which I had downloaded a few days earlier which had them as F1. No matter as the titles are correct as of now.

Thank you. It is with a heavy heart that I seek elsewhere to fill the void that your lack of responses will leave my life with.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I have two Bowie knives I can lend you two, or two professional throwing knives, if you prefer.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes, and there was that unpleasant business last year over the 964RS. There are good people working there but the organisation as a whole is a bit sharp on occasion.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Sounds like just the ticket!

11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    While all this talk of knife throwing conjures up images of two old boys of the 550 forum practising their knife skills from the comfort of their armchairs that is moderately entertaining, there is perhaps a more serious point here:

You say Silverstone are sneaky with photos and refer to "unpleasant business". I have bought and sold maybe 40 cars in auctions over as many years, including two sold via Silverstone within the last year. In both cases, they gave me the draft of the description to review and mark up. There were small items (like the screwdrivers that @Bluebottle refers to) needing correction. But the reality is no house is naive enough to try and mislead buyers on F1 vs manual.

In the case of the 964RS, I am unsure which car you refer to (chassis #9173 or #9272), but in the latter case, the catalogue description was clear on vendor commissioned documentation. On the day while some of the history files had fallen out of order having passed through many hands for inspection, but any well-prepared bidder should and would have been aware of their nature. There is little point in blaming the house afterwards.

Which brings me to my point. Until the last price bubble started around 2010-11, auctions I have participated in had experienced buyers who came prepared, having done their homework and with their eyes wide open. Auction houses were "sharp" and "buyer beware" was the byword. Now there is a group who come armed with google search and think they are omniscient as a result. And cry at the first instance when things go wrong and blame the auction house. So when you see comments like the above, one wonders if there is a back story of sour grapes (or just some general muck throwing for fun?)

Sometimes, when you want to buy a steak, it is better to go to the friendly neighbourhood butcher than to a cattle auction. And, either way, you and your pal can put your knives to better use there :)

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bowie knives and throwing knives are poor tools for butchers. Designed for other things.

tantumaude and Themaven like this.
  13. FrankieFourEyes

BANNED

Sep 3, 2019
    the wear on the seat bolster of the blue car doesn't look like the cars only done 34KM. maybe 134km

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    A mixed bag, you'll always get some ropey vendors at auctions like these..

The low-mile 550 looks nice and is a kind of RHD equivalent of my own dearly departed low-mile Rosso Corsa 550 which was written off by a falling tree while in storage earlier this year. A collector's car, with such low miles, I wonder if collectors will be bidding. If it achieves its guide price, I will be thinking my insurance should have paid out more.

Alan, are you planning to bid? I'm not sure any of them are guided low enough to buy with no warranty etc.

15. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I'm out for the time being until we have some political stability in the UK. My business imports in US Dollars and the uncertainty here is starting to bite some of my larger customers. Combined with the poor exchange rate I've just tightened in all spending until we have some idea what's going on.

If a bargain pops up at a great price I might go for it. That's unlikely to happen at auction based on previous results.

I still feel the real market is far lower than the advertised prices suggest and we have some time before the real "new normal" is openly established. The current trend for Sale or Return isn't helping.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Sorry to hear that, about the uncertainty. It’s a great shame if it means more time without a Maranello, but understandable of course.

Meanwhile here’s another auction Maranello that is unlikely to reach anything like low estimate.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25824/lot/172/

I can see why you’d stick a car on sale or return at a high price, I do it myself, but auction makes no sense.

21ATS likes this.
  17. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Harry's preview:-

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The LHD 550 looked quite nice, for a blast down to the Riviera.

19. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I didn't hang around to see the last one go over the block (watching on line not at the event), I'll check in later to see the result but I can't see it selling.

It seems LHD is now where the market is for these cars. I assume these will be making their way back to the mainland.

20. A_Christoofar

A_Christoofar Karting

Jun 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Pretty interesting. Surprised the 3k mile 550 did not attract more bids, but 88k for the Grigio/Bordeaux car (101k with commission) felt like a fair offer - but clearly the seller didn’t need to sell.

21. A_Christoofar

A_Christoofar Karting

Jun 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Also - seems like a bad day for Silverstone. Only 1 in 3 cars selling. My guesstimate is that they made 130k commission on the Ferrari sale - not a great return on what appears to be a lot of work. Still - selling the Carrera GT in the Porsche sale probably helped ...

22. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I didn't watch the Porsche sale, but I just went back through the Ferrari one and it appears there were 12 sales and 22 passes.

At the beginning of the auction the auctioneer also stated they'd declined another 40 cars for todays sale either on condition or unrealistc estimates.

I thought both the RHD 550's were bid very reasonably. Both can probably go back into storage and wait for the next bubble I guess.

We'll that's the current market, flat. If buyers aren't willing to pay and sellers aren't willing to meet the bids we end up in a non market.

Meanwhile The Ferrari Centre (aka KHPC in Maidstone) have sold three 550's this month.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/550/ferrari-550-maranello--deposit-taken/9868354

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/550/ferrari-550-maranello--deposit-taken/9347230

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/550/ferrari-550-maranello-lhd--sold/9171065

The LHD one was bought sight unseen by a Dutch buyer and it's making it's was back across the Channel.

So if the price is right there's clearly still an appetite.

23. A_Christoofar

A_Christoofar Karting

Jun 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    All agreed. You are buying a bit more peace of mind from a dealer like KHPC than you could possibly get in an auction. Interesting than the red car was priced lower than the higher mile black car..

24. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The red one has been for sale since last year. It's gradually been reduced from £95K.

I'm just not keen on Rosso Corsa on a Maranello, I think they look far nicer in more subtle colours.