348 shutting down at idle | FerrariChat

348 shutting down at idle

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Luuk 348, Aug 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    Hi guys ,

Sometimes my 348 is shutting down at idle. It only happens when the car is hot. It’s working fine for months and then the problem comes back. It seems its getting worse. No problem starting the engine. If I keep my foot for a little throttle its running fine.

….anyone…???

Thanks again for any tips,

Luuk

2. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    I was having that problem with my 348. After replacing the O2 sensors it was fine. Not sure that is your problem but an area to look at. You may get a hint by checking your error codes.

3. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    I am owning one of the first 348 without cat’s. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Luuk

4. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Perhaps your air bypass passages beside the throttle bodies need adjustment or cleaning?

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

+1

http://www.club348.com/technical/Tech/348.html#EngineStallsOverheats

Also, I'd suggest resetting the engine ECU's by disconnecting power for 15 seconds and then letting the car idle (preferably with a cold engine, but that's not mandatory) until the cooling fans kick on.

Likewise, you might as well check the basics such as having a clean airfilter...

6. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    Thanks I will let you know the results......

7. Luuk 348

Luuk 348 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Luuk
    Got it working like it should be. It looks like it was a problem with the sparkplugs they had become lose. I think I was a bit to scared to brake them when I changed them the last time. I put new plugs on and it runs perfect for a few days now. The problem was random but I got a good feeling about this. I’ll be leaving 6 september to Monza (Italy) to see the formule1 racing there so I got 3100 Km to try it. .... :) :) :)

Luuk

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Glad to hear it's fixed.

9. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    I had the same erratic idle and stall issue. I had just completed a major major where i had the entire upper engine apart and literally took painstaking effort to put together the cleanest 348 you'll ever see. Every component was either new or diagnosed as perfect. No vacuum leaks as well.

I had noticed once that by simply touching the secondary air intake tube assembly that the engine idle would change suddenly. But hell, that of course could not make sense since that system has nothing to do with idle vacuums in any way, its simply not in the loop.

But today, after the problem became so bad that the car would stall at every corner I had to stare at it for a while and think. While staring at that stupid secondary tube I noticed a interesting thing .... the MAV cable is literally resting on the secondary tube. In other words when I was moving about the secondary tube I was also jiggling the MAV cable.

So ... even though the MAV connector pins looked clean, I used some contact cleaner on them and re-connected diligently.

The world change.