High Mileage Ferraris | FerrariChat

High Mileage Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by nicholasn, Aug 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, at some point, but I wanted to bring it up again.

As someone who has a ton of cars on my bucket list, several of which are Ferraris, but also drives high-mileage cars, I'm curious how long Ferraris will last when driven regularly. What are the highest-mileage F-cars you've owned/heard of?

(If anyone wants some background on my perspective, my 09 GTI daily driver has over 194k miles on it, and I used to drive a 95 A6 which hit 315k before the transmission started screaming out in pain).

nicolaprince and Texas Forever like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    cple guys have posted about putting over 100k on their cars. a bunch of had 50k plus. not really sure what kind of answer you are looking for. they dont break if you take care of them. why shld it be different than any other car?

3. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    As dumb as it sounds, one of my goals is to own some of the highest-mileage exotics in the world. I don't really know why it appeals to me, but I've always had an appreciation for cars that have been driven like they were meant to. I guess I am curious what sort of figure that looks like.

4. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

As said above, follow the recommmended service schedule. The degree of service does depend on the model, but then, you did not specify.

5. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I know someone who owns these 3 cars. He bought them all new. The 430 probably has 25k miles of track time

328 over 250k miles
    348 over 200k
    430 over 125k

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Do you know how many times each engine/transmission has been partially/fully rebuilt?

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes, Kev’s a true car/Ferrari guy.
    I remember feeling quite honored when couple of years ago, at some event (in Monterey maybe), he pulled me aside to show me having just achieved combined 500K miles between all of them earlier that day.
    And let’s not forget that his cars are nice enough to receive (and have ?) Platinum level judging scores also.

OTOH Sam, you're not known to be afraid of driving yours often either. :cool:

8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Just like anything with oily bits....... if they are maintained, they will last.

L have been owning, driving and tracking Ferraris for 30 years. They are very well made and screwed together.

9. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I think the 430 blew up around 75k on the track. Not sure about the other two

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

miurasv likes this.
  10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Ferraris are made to be driven.

They deteriorate just sitting there.

Met a guy on a rally that had a Porsche 959. He found it in a Japanese museum. He had to replace all the rubber bushings etc because they dried out and were as hard as a rock. The car basically had to be taken apart.

Driving a Ferrari is a good thing indeed.

11. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I have 90,000 on my '86 Testarossa. I figure its one of the highest TR mileages in the States.

12. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    I think it is funny as hell when someone has a 2007 F430 or whatever, with 7k miles and the n they have over $40k in maintenance.

Drive the damn cars.

Someone made a comment recently on my classic Ferrari, that omg I put so many miles on it (actually only 3k in 3 years..)

Drive it or they will break.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bertil, Way2fast and Graz like this.
  13. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    There is a guy on here with something like 145k miles on his 458... alluded to having no major issues except expected maintenance.

nicholasn and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I can personally attest to this having driven with him many times. Great guy. I'm convinced the best single thing you can do to keep your Ferrari in tip-top shape is to....drive them...drive them often, yes things will break - fix them immediately.

You'll be happy.

15. PHAB

PHAB Rookie

Aug 8, 2012
    Ive 114,000 on my 550 and it still runs beautifully....regular use and regular maintenance is the recipe to happy motoring!

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that's awesome - how many miles did it have when you bought it?

paulchua likes this.
  17. PHAB

PHAB Rookie

Aug 8, 2012
    Rather a lot ! ! 108,000 under one owner. Thread about the car here incase you feel like a laugh at my stupidity! ...https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1152996&i=0

Slightly hypocritical as I havent used it much recently but its always taken out, run up and exercised even when not in use. Has never let me down....yet!

paulchua likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that's awesome - good for you! I didn't read all 18 pages on piston heads but does it say how many belt changes the car had?

paulchua likes this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    couple thoughts - first is you rock. love the car, love the acquisition, love the refurbishment. in some ways buying a car and not having to do anything to it makes it less yours. taking a good but not perfect foundation and getting it to where you like is rewarding and meaningful. The best way to enjoy the Ferrari games is to do exactly this. Buying higher mileage well cared for cars and making them your onw and then driving them. I love the color combo of your car - its to die for. getting a higher mile 550 and using it is on my list of things to do, for sure. welcome to fchat and you have already made this a better place! post some pics for us!!

paulchua and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  20. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    A good friend of mine had a BMW M1 and put almost 250,000 miles on it. Drove it all the time in the 1990's. I had 50,000 miles on my 550. Got 21,000 on my 458.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  21. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I saw Kev today. He has 160k miles on his 430

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

22. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Now that's impressive

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats effing awesome. does he have a decent daily commute that he uses it for...hard to find time to drive 160k miles for fun otherwise - maybe no kids etc?

paulchua likes this.
  24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    350k miles on a 308, on an original unrebuilt motor?
    And the second one I’ve heard of is 200k miles.

nicolaprince and Texas Forever like this.
  25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That’s awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miketuason likes this.