Ferrari Dino Spiritual Successor Not Happening In The Near Future | FerrariChat

Ferrari Dino Spiritual Successor Not Happening In The Near Future

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Sep 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    If this is true, it would truly be a shame. Ferrari is walking away from the core ingredients that made many of us desire it. It’s been a long time since I’ve wanted to go into a Ferrari dealership. Although the cars are beautiful, they’re just too big, trendy and complex. I yearn for an all new drop dead gorgeous analog ICE car like a modern Dino. A timeless car that is pure emotion including the sound. It wouldn’t matter to me if it were sold as a “Dino” or a “Ferrari”.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/news/1167

LARRYH and racerboy9 like this.
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I fear that if it had happened, it might have been a disappointment - too big, heavy, powerful, complicated, etc., etc. - so maybe it's best that it remains a "unicorn". While it remains in your imagination, it will remain perfect.

Nuvolari likes this.
  3. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Alfa tried creating a modern Dino with the 4C and it hasn’t been much of a success - maybe Ferrari saw the writing on the wall.

synchro likes this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree with Freeman but I wonder if it's even possible to design* and build a car that evokes a perpetually emotional response like a Dino, an Élan, a 356 Speedster or an E-type today.

*I defer to his obvious expertise here.

5. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I agree with Freeman and all the responding posters. With today's safety, fuel economy and emissions regulations (compounded by the charge toward first hybrids and now EV's), and all the climate change hysteria, I think the days of the analog ICE automobile are past. I'm grateful to still own a Dino and to enjoy, along with all its quirks (both endearing and annoying), the fun of driving an "unconnected" car. At times it seems that, along with a nice long walk in the countryside, a drive in a Dino is the last bastion of individual enjoyment, unfettered by the distractions of cell phones and the internet. Save your sanity, drive your Dino! Fred,

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

It is possible! The new Renault A110 and Alfa C4 are current examples. To create a robust profitable business case is something else! The cockpit of the new Ford GT demonstrates that it’s possible to create a small cabin and still comply with the current regulations. The exterior size is developed for handling and aero. It’s possible to create a modern car with the dimensions of the original Dino. The new Saleen S1 is also an example: https://jalopnik.com/the-saleen-s1-sounds-suspiciously-awesome-1820933585

cls likes this.
  7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    The Mazda MX5 / Miata / Eunos was a modern interpretation of the Elan. That has been a runaway success and the current version is still very true to the original - small, simple, light, nimble and FUN! It proves it can be done and, if done well, can be a sure fire winner. If you give the people what they want . . .

8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Quite right, John. You have completely demolished my premise!:D

The MX5 is a great example of what can.....and should....be done, although I don't think it quite has the necessary emotional component of the cars I mentioned.

absostone likes this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    There I have to agree. Maybe in 30 years' time?

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #10 swift53, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Hate to say it guys, even though you can park a swb 911 inside a modern 911, I think they got it so right,
    it is sad that albeit "fat", it is a great car no matter what, and the looks are pretty darn acceptable. Even the sound of the motor, not bad...actually pretty great.

Astons, RR, Bentley and just a few more. Jaguar? Gotta be kidding. Why do the Jaguars and Astons, do following 'extension models' , a la XKSS, D types, Aston Z, Big $$$$$?
    Lister even, LOLA too...
    Mercs look good but they are so fat and fast, right? Ford GT? Yes, but only so much. Computers galore, traction control, why would anyone need TC?

Go drive one, anyone of the various new 911 models and whooooaaa :) , and it has the bloated looks, that still look the part, and sure drives like it should. So what are we after, performance, or looks?
    Any Oriental car is fast, very much so. Looks? No.

Very personally, a new Ferrari, look nothing like anything that I can relate to, of the glorious past, so many models, possibly too many variants, not Ferrari's fault, so prolific.
    There really have not been recreations as the 911 has. . Just as the Lamborghini tries to appear as the Countach wannabee, it really does not. Spaceship, yes.
    Think any 60's models, even Alfa, a FIAT by any name, the 8C, the 4C, what are they? Giulia? Really...Lotus, please.
    I mean, TR, TDF, GTO, SWB, SA, Daytona, Dino, so you go out and make a 'continuation'? V12's ? Very Hard act to follow. So what does the new McLaren relate to?
    BMW have the same grille, sort of...Korean cars try to emulate high price German cars, sort of....at 100 and 50.

I think that a 'new Dino' will never match our drop dead gorgeous Dino. Never, jamas. Give it up. Love what we have, it is irreplaceable. Do we really need a new one?
    How about a Daytona? Impossible. Even Chrysler got something going with the Challenger (FIAT) and Ford with the Mustang (s).
    Saw the Stratos wannabee, not bad....the Alpine, nahhhh....barely. Have you ever driven an (real) Alpine 1600?
    It is hugely difficult to re-evocate and if passionate enough, it will never go through. Look at all the belly flops, Mustang Shelby II, T'birds, Pontiac GTO, ad nauseam...

Regards, Alberto

Neelfryer likes this.
  11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    synchro, Jack-the-lad and swift53 like this.
  12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I have just realised that none of us has mentioned the Lotus Elise, a car which epitomises the light, simple, great handling sports car that achieves performance without the need for muscle power just as did the Elan, the original 911 and, of course, the Dino - the first of the first series Elise had only 118 bhp!

13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree that the Elise is dynamically engaging, but I’ve never been able to warm up to its styling. And since I look at a car a lot more than I drive it.....:);)

14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Hatd to please, aren't you?!!

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Was hoping they would put the Alfa Quad engine in a mid engined, compact, sports car.

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Timeless
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bluebottle likes this.
  17. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
  18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  20. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That is a spectacularly ugly car

21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Stunted at growth...

How is that possible to be so misshapen?, at least make it out of a real mould...

Regards, Alberto

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Porsche GT4 have the balance and poise of a Dino but the real reveal is the GT3 Touring and its manual with ability to flat shift. The car is always an occasion to drive and has as much edge as a Dino

23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Sorry don't follow your thoughts, which one not timeless?

24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Lotus Elite, yes. Gilbert Scott's phone box, yes. Not so sure about the young lady's dress fashion.

swift53 likes this.