575 M external temperature sensor | FerrariChat

575 M external temperature sensor

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by docapl, Sep 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Does anyone know where the fuse would be located for the external temp sensor on a 575M? I looked up a fuse box diagram up but it does not show this one.

Thanks

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I wouldn't think that the external temperature sensor would have a fuse. What kind of issue are you having. The temperature sensor should be located in the left outside mirror (the plastic bump on the bottom).

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If the HVAC system is similar to the F550's I believe the HVAC ECU supplies power to the sensor, so the whole HVAC system would be dead if the applicable fuse failed.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get much wiring information on this system. Here's a diagram we pieced together for the 550.... still under construction.

Engine Systems and HCAC

Note that splice 239 provides power to the outside temperature sensor, the sun radiation sensor and the left bank water temperature sensor. I'm not sure if there is any easy way to check the voltages on these items.

4. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thanks - that is exactly the issue, plus TPMS which gets data from the sensor as well. I will check that.

Qavion likes this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No temperature data on 575M TPMS.

6. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Interesting. Issue happened simultaneously with HVAC / ext temp not reading. TPMS might have to be reset then. Do you know if that requires the factory computer?

7. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It might be an HVAC ECU or power problem. Looking at the diagrams, I see there are quite a number of power sources supplying the HVAC system (ECU, etc). e.g. the HVAC fuse in the passenger footwell (fuse 20 on the 550). There are also some fuses bolted(?) to the right hand side of the evaporator unit. Not sure how hard they are to get to on these cars.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    575M TPMS reset does not require an SD2 or equivalent if that is what you are asking. Can be recalibrated either by the driver using the little button and driving her or by a tech with an SD2. Both work fine, but the latter does not require driving afterwards. Procedure is in the OM.

10. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I found this fuse in the passenger footwell was blown:
    F39
    7.5 amp
    +15 air conditioning and water pump unit

When I replaced this fuse, HVAC, TPMS display, and External Temp display were all back to normal, but only for about 20 seconds, then the fuse blew again. So something is shorting causing the fuse to blow. Appreciate any ideas.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #11 Qavion, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  13. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

That's the auxiliary booster pump, used for circulating coolant through the heater core, and it's known to fail on 550's. As Ian suggested, disconnect it at its connector and see if the fuse holds. I would think you could safely run the car without it until you get a replacement, but you just won't have good cabin air temperature regulation with the HVAC system.

Qavion likes this.
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Terry. I wasn't sure how the system would react without water flow (hence my warning)

Fuel pumps and water pumps tend to draw a lot of current if they're about to fail and I've seen them melt plastic fuse holders before they blow fuses, making repairs more difficult. It's good that the fuse has blown first.

Can the pump be changed without losing too much coolant (requiring a system bleed)? I guess the pipes can be clamped if they are not too old and still flexible?

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #15 Qavion, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Ooops... Thanks John

The red car in the profile pic fooled me :oops:

Looking at the diagram in the link above, does the hot water come from the manifold in the centre of the engine "V" into the pump via the axial pipe and exit from the right angle pipe to the hot water valve, through the aircon unit and back out to the coolant tank?

16. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I have looked around the engine bay but have not found the location of the auxiliary booster pump on my 575. A picture or description of where it is located would be appreciated. Thanks.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  18. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Taz - Do any panels need to be removed to make that part visible? I am just not finding it. A photo would be a huge help. Thanks

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #19 Qavion, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    I don't know if this any help...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/144951797/

Looks like some panels have been removed. I see a suspension component. Could it be behind the wheel arch panel? I would get confirmation before pulling the car to pieces.

I see the change involved changing the endcap of the pump (because the inlet/outlet nozzles were the wrong size on the new pump). Might it be easier just to unscrew the body of the pump from the endcap and not worry about undoing the hoses?

This process is not as easy as I thought it might be.

20. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Anthony, as Ian mentioned, the pump is located behind the right side wheel arch, so the wheel arch panel does require to be removed to access it. It's not too bad to access - only 3-4 screws to remove. Sorry, but no pics.

I did elect to replace my Bosch pump with a Johnson pump because when I began my search, I found various threads on other car forums about the advantages of the Johnson over the Bosch.

Here's a pic of the Bosch by itself, showing the connector:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's a pic of the Johnson & Bosch, side by side, for comparison:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And yes, You'll probably lose some coolant and will have to bleed the system afterward.

Qavion likes this.
  21. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Yes Ian, that's how it's routed.

Qavion likes this.
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like you already got your question answered, because mine works fine so no photos.

23. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thank you! I will update.

24. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    SOLVED:

Terry, Taz, Ian and John - Thank you so much for your help and advice!

To help others in the future, attached is a picture of the location of the auxiliary water pump. It is indeed behind the panel to the rear of the right front wheel. I took the wheel off to get access and then 7 screws to remove to get the panel out.

It was wet (coolant?) inside the connector. Once I disconnected the power plug to the pump and replaced the fuse again, it no longer blew and HVAC fan, ext temp display, and TMPS all were back to normal. I just need to order a new pump now but the car seems perfectly drivable without the pump connected.

All the best,
    Tony

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.
  25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #25 Qavion, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Excellent. Thanks for the location photo. I'm not surprised you couldn't initially find the pump.

I wonder what all those other connectors are for. They don't seem to be in the 550 photograph.