812 X-Pipe Only Install | FerrariChat

812 X-Pipe Only Install

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by JasonN, Sep 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I am thinking of installing an exhaust controller on my 812 SF because the stock set up with the valves closing quickly after starting is well, just lame. When talking to Capristo about their controller, they highly recommended their XPipe to replace the factory resonator. I did some searches and I can't seem to find what difference I can expect if I did this. Anyone on here have that done or have any before and after videos?

2. Clothaire

Clothaire Rookie

Nov 1, 2017
    a friend of mine in Texas did it on the 812 SF...and this changed a lot the sound which resonate more like F1 now....for DB increase you will have to choose the cat sport or full decat...but X PIPE is already great improvement...insta from Dan Wierck is his insta..

3. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    An X pipe will definetely bring out more sound but it won't be too loud. If you want 10% - 15% more sound than the quiet stock exhaust, I would do an x pipe :)

4. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had it on the lift tonight and disconnected the valves. I think that is enough sound for me for right now. Of course it only makes a difference at low speeds and idle. I took some pictures of the XPipe and the install looks straight forward as long as the pipes can slip off the rear. Car only has 160 miles so they shouldn’t be too tight.

Attached Files:

Bundy, tickerhound and Thecadster like this.
  5. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Can you describe in some more detail how you disconnected the valves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    With 160 miles, your exhaust hasn't even begun to open up. Within the next 2000 miles, your exhaust will get louder and more raspy, especially if you give it a good track flogging.

7. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I should have took more pictures and detailed to help others. I have a lift so it makes it easier but not necessary. There are silver 10mm bolts that connect the diffuser to the underbelly plate. Remove these. There are also some black torx bolts that hold the rear diffuser on. I removed three on each side startign from the lowest one. There is also a small torx screw that holds on a rubber piece on each side by the rear wheels that needs to be removed. This will give you enough room to gently pull down the diffuser and fit your hand up to pull off the vacuum lines on the exhaust valves. Plug the hose with a screw and small zip tie and cover the tube on the valve to prevent dirt from getting in. Very simple and took about 30 minutes.

Looking around down there, I think if I remove the diffuser completely, remove the rear wheels and wheel arches, I should be able to remove the stock mufflers and install aftermarket ones. Not sure what I will gain though. I'd have to hear another car to compare (in real life) and that probably won't happen as 812's where I live are very rare.

8. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't think the exhaust is quiet with the valves open. The heat shielding on the stock H Pipe looks so nice, I'd be afraid to dent it up when removing it.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Something tells me that you have to unloosen and shift the rear portion of the exhaust to get the x-pipe out. Loosening the clamps won't do much as the unit has to move forward or back maybe an inch to separate and be removed. I could be wrong but there's likely a lot more involved here.

10. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think with the diffuser off, rear wheels off and wheel liners removed, I can get the mufflers out. Tubi rep from Italy said it can be done. I’m sort of happy the way it is now with just the valves disconnected.

11. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    I think it was motortrend or car and driver that said it, but when they tested the 812 against the GT3RS and 720S, they said it was the quietest of the 3. 90DB for the 812, 95DB for the 720s and I think almost 100 for the GT3RS.

I prefer to have more sound in my Ferrari V12's. :)

12. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The car is very quiet on the inside. Hardly any road noise. My C63s is so loud on the hiway from tire noise, it is difficult to carry on a conversation.

However outside of the car, the exhaust sound is fairly loud (to me) but not obnoxious. Having the valves disconnected, it’s a little louder at idle which I like.

13. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    I have an F12... I initially did the Capristo X-pipe with valve controller. I hardly noticed the change in sound. If anything, after 6000 rpms, a slight difference. So I then went with Kline 200 cell sport cats.

I am so so happy. It sounds amazing. Not intrusive in the cabin whatsoever. Purs nicely at cruise, and when you mash it, it sings very loudly...but not obnoxious imo. In fact, I have never felt the need to shut the valves so lower the decibels.

Bundy and Thecadster like this.
  14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Considering a Novitec X pipe for the 812. May end up doing muffler too, but most interested in the pipe. Anyone know of any differences in brands? I’ve heard the TAG N-largo, and the sound is incredible to me. The in car footage is exactly what I’m looking for, and they left the cars alone.

15. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    @SeattleStew installed x-pipe on his and loves it. Maybe he can more insight.

16. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    For an x-pipe, you probably aren't going to notice any difference in sound. I personally went with a capristo x-pipe as it was half the price of the novitec. The only difference was some heat shielding. The sound was a huge upgrade over stock, I strongly recommend it. I only did an x-pipe, keeping the stock mufflers in place. I do have a valve controller showing up in the morning though. Kline, tubi, capristo, novitec, and others make an x-pipe. Pick whichever you like most.

Also, for anyone who wants to DIY their x-pipe, do know that it isn't as straight forward as unbolting the clamps and pulling the OEM midpipe out. You'll need to remove the back pipes that go between the midpipe and the mufflers, as well as unbolt the support bar between the mufflers. To do this you'll need to remove the 2 rear undertrays.

Was typing the response as your post came in lol. And yes, I believe the x-pipe should be an OEM option when ordering.

Flea7 and Gh21631 like this.
  17. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Thanks for the info. I think I’ll start with this before doing the back boxes.

SeattleStew likes this.
  18. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I got a Capristo X pipe installed on my 812. I feel like he car is MUCH more quiet now. I like the sound, but it is nearly silent at cruise and not loud enough like it was driving around. I had heard the X pipe was louder than stock, but had also heard the opposite. I now know it is much softer with normal driving than it was. Any thoughts?