360 vs Z06 - My head-to-head experience | FerrariChat

360 vs Z06 - My head-to-head experience

Discussion in '360/430' started by rquad, Sep 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    I hope I don't start a flame war with this - that's not my intent. I just want to give my impression of riding in my friend's 2018 C7 Z06 Corvette back-to-back after riding in my completely stock 1999 360.

The Z06 is brutally powerful at 650HP, but it felt like the power was more detached than the 360 - muted, I would call it. That's not to say it's a tame beast because it would throw you back in the seat and hold you there, and easily overcame traction starting out. But, I would expect with 50% more horsepower and almost double the torque, the Z06 would have been off the charts in comparison to my car. But the seat-of-the-pants feel just wasn't all that much different. My friend felt sort of the same way - he basically said the two cars felt like they were in the same league.

The numbers tell a different story. The Z06 is rated at 2.95 seconds 0-60 (I'm sure that was under absolutely perfect conditions) and the 360 is somewhere between 4.2 and 4.5 depending on the source. So the Z06 should kick the 360's tail, but it's not something you could say for sure from the driver's seat.

All I can say is that I'm glad I chose the Ferrari. The Z06 was my second choice, and even though it may be faster, for me the fun factor leans slightly in the 360's favor.

KC360 FL likes this.
  2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

each time I test my CS with a 0-100km run, the clock says more than 5 seconds. sometimes more than 6. ambient temp is about 20-25 degrees and tires been warmed and its p0 street tire. And yes, I used launch control.

The 1st to 2nd gear transition is meh!!!

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    What a strange post.
    If you say you prefer the 360 over the Z06 for all the “Italian exotic car intangibles” then few would quibble, I certainly wouldn’t. But from a performance standpoint they aren’t even playing in same league. Track times for Z06 will be significantly faster than a Speciale let alone a 360.

4. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    I would have to agree with what you say. I have owned Corvettes including ZR1 and Z06 and I currently have a 488 which even though it's rated lower it seems much quicker possibly because there's a lot less tire spin because of the traction control working better. It just seems to plant you in your seat a lot harder! Also not really sure but maybe mid engine is a better way to go as far as power transfer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I think the bottom of the thread is that both cars exceed the “usable performance” limits of the street. That may take 80% of the 360’s potential, and 40% of the vette to reach. This is why the modern hp wars for street cars are becoming silly.

Take them to the track or drag strip and it will be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tifosi101 and KC360 FL like this.
  6. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I own both a F430 and a 19 Z. The Z is my daily driver and they are completely different cars. As for performance they are not even in the same realm when it comes to the numbers and times.

After buying the Z and not driving my F for two weeks I was worried the F would feel slow in comparison. To my surprise the F felt like a spaceship, as I was no longer staring at a hood that went on forever. Back to performance, yes the F still felt fast not the same kind of fast but it was still up there. The F cannot match the pure push in the seat produced by the torque from the Z. This is way more noticeable when you get past 60-70 with full throttle and full traction.

The reason the F still feels fast in comparison is because the immediate throttle response, sound, and instant brutal shift of the F1 trans.

The Z has a very lazy and laggy throttle response. I’ve put on a BMS filter, throttle controller, and ported throttle body in order to fix this. All of these mods were just to make the throttle completely linear and remove the drive by wire lag and gm tuning. This has completely changed the car and makes it much better to drive around town. It’s still not on par with the F with regards to instant response.

I am by no means saying the 430 is as quick as the Z but all the above sensations result in this distortion. The Z will completely destroy the 430 let alone a 360 in every performance metric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    italiafan - I agree that this is a "strange" post. I was surprised by the results. Keep in mind that these were strictly street tests, un-timed, completely seat-of-the-pants comparisons. They were done back-to-back for a better comparison.

CarAholic - I think you nailed it in everything you said. The numbers say the Z is a killer, but if you were blind-folded as a passenger in a 0-60 run, in my experience it would be hard to tell a big difference. You described the Z better than I--the lazy throttle makes its performance seem muted (I was testing an auto-trans car). The story might have been quite different if the Z had a crisper transmission.

VAF84 likes this.
  8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Exactly the way I felt when I drove a 458. So I totally get it.
    As you say, I don't want to start a big flame contest, but, the 458 was very tame to me from the driver's seat. The 360 "feels" more visceral. And I drove my car and then the 458 and then drove my 360 home. So pretty much a side by side comparison for me.

The numbers say otherwise, but then there's the actual butt in the seat feel. Just one man's opinion... so go easy on me.;)

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Different strokes for different folks. The lesson of this and the thread is everybody is different, and that difference will yield a car you prefer individually. Finding out what you like is part of the fun; hopefully, you find that car, get it, and drive in good health.
    Cheers

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I would love to know how the Z06 and the 360 compare in the corners. The amount of Vette drivers that have their tires kick out in a turn is near 100% when I'm out driving. I personally don't understand a car that has so much more HP than the tires can plant. Even the 360 full throttle will be a hand full in a tight turn.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I do not get the point of this thread why would compare a 19 year old car to a new 2018 ? If want to compare the two, compare the same year model IMHO

12. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Because they cost about the same, I made the same choice a few years back.... F430 over a Z06

brookliner7 likes this.
  13. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I think the fact that they are in similar price ranges get people to compare the two. Before I purchased my F430, I couldn't resist checking out the C7. Mostly because it was a much more modern car with better performance numbers, and offered a manual without the premium. As much as I wanted to like it though, the driving experience wasn't the same; as others have described. Amazing car, but felt numb compared to the more visceral F car experience.

That said, I would still considering adding the Vette to the collection over upgrading to a newer Ferrari, but if I could only own one, it would be the Ferrari.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  14. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have a C& and a 360. Agree with most of the above, TOTALLY different experiences and the vette beats the 360 in all ways performance. Having said that the Ferrari is way more engaging and more of an experience to drive but the vette has all of the creature comforts while still allowing for daily driven performance and cheap track days which is why i bought it

I like the fact they are so different. Best of both worlds

VAF84, ihavearedferrari and CarAholic like this.
  15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Let me intervene here as I have both a 1999 360 and a 2001 Z06....so more of an apples to apples comparison. Trying to compare 2 cars tthey hat are literally 20 years apart is ridiculous. My 2 examples have very similar performance numbers, but their powerbands are completely different. You are comparing a high compression dual overhead cam motor with a pushrod engine,not to mention different gearings...they will both deliver completely different experiences.

The Z06 has a low, throaty growl that is rather unimpressive in the low RPM's...this is a trait of LS-style engines, I've owned many...but when you push....it screams, it's death metal, it's a raw, ugly, but pure and beautiful display of power that you feel from your head to your toes (my Borla probably contributes).

The Ferrari is a completely different thing...it's a high and fast revving beast that efficiently utilizes it's power at any RPM. It's angry at idle (doesn't like to sit still), but sings as soon as you let it open. It pushes you instead of pulling you. It's not death metal, it's operatic.

Side by side, they would be close to neck and neck. People ask me why I need both. It's the same reason I don't always listen to the same music.

tifosi101, RANDY6005, VAF84 and 6 others like this.
  16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Seat o pants meter is lying to you kind sir -)

But agree 360 is my choice over a c7.

17. FLY360

FLY360 Rookie

Aug 4, 2015
    FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Orndoff
    In 2009 I traded my 2007 Z06 for a 360. The 505 hp corvette is much faster but it didn't feel that way. I think Corvettes are meant to be usable for all occasions while the Ferrari feels fast by design. To make a car as fast as the Corvette feel normal must take a lot of work. A lot of Corvette drivers who drive their cars every day probably want them that way.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  18. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    A couple of people thought it was silly of me to compare two cars that are twenty years apart. You missed the point. I wasn't doing a magazine article. I own a 360 and my friend owns a Z06. We got together and had a blast driving each other's cars. I simply wrote up my experience. If my friend had a C5 or a Chiron or whatever, I would have done the same. I had expected to be blown away by the Vette's performance, but I wasn't.

I like a huge variety of cars. I'm not touting the 360 or dumping on the Z. To my great surprise, I found that I prefer my 360 over the Vette.

But beyond the sheer fun of the comparison, people *do* cross-shop Ferrari's and Vettes. Some people, like myself, cross-shop exactly these two cars. So, in that sense, it was a perfectly logical comparison.

KC360 FL likes this.
  19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Also try your comparison at a track day—- I think you will find both fun in different ways.