High Mileage Ferraris | Page 2 | FerrariChat

High Mileage Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by nicholasn, Aug 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    He also has a 328 with 250k and a 348 with 150k

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Jeez that’s awesome! Does he do his own work? In what state are the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    They are all in the Bay area . I think he will have all 3 at the FCA in Scottsdale

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Caphill and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

I meant state as in shape lol;)

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    All 3 cars in councours quality, he still wins awards. Last year we tracked together at Laguna Seca.

Caphill and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s cool!
    I will say though: let’s not act as Ferrari’s are the most reliable car ever. I may draw the ire of some here but overall I’d say it’s a rarity they are driven that much and last that long too..:which makes those stats even more so incredible !

paulchua likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    No doubt about it. Many folks buy a Ferrari (especially vintage) expecting Toyota reliability. Nuff said.

8. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    My first car was a Fiat X1/9 in the 80s. Just about everyone I talked to said don’t buy a ‘Fix It Again Tony’. But with regular maintenance and listening how the car runs it never let me down.

Sure anything can go wrong and may be out of our control. I look at my 30 year fcars that items do break due to age/brittle and that is expected. I just deal with it when the issue comes up. Until then I drive with a huge smile on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

nicolaprince likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi, Kevin Enderby is an early Apply employee, back when you could go to Steve direct. Kevin got his red 328 when Apple was going gangbusters, joined Jobs when he started Next computer, purchased a yellow 355 I think when Apple acquired Next, bought a blue F430 when the iPod came out. His cars are always easy to spot around town because of his distinctive license plates.

He lives near me, so I run into him time to time. He also does professional track instruction; he's given me a lot of pointers.

He still wins the car shows all the time and has devotion to his vehicles. Daily rotates the 3.

There are ton of articles out there about him.

10. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Reading through this thread and seeing references to Kevin, I wondered if folks were referring to Kevin Enderby. I moved off the West Coast back in 2008, but still remembered him enough to think of him when I saw this thread. I only met him a handful of times, but he always seemed like a great guy, and was always extremely friendly and welcoming to a new Ferrari enthusiast like myself.

The “Primary Colors” cover story in Forza Magazine was a great read about him and his cars. Does he still have the Model T?

P.S. loved the story about how he chose his license plates, and his comment that “If you buy me a new Ferrari, I’d be happy to put your name on the license plate.”

Way2fast and paulchua like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Same Kevin!

Way2fast and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  12. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Cool. He probably won’t remember me, but say hello next time you see him.

Last time I saw him, we were sitting having lunch in Monterey at John Bagioli’s “shop warming party” after he opened his new place at Monterey airport. Kevin asked “I’ve seen you around at the meets and maybe met you a few times, but how do you know John?” I told him that John had sorted my 328 when I bought it, and had just finished a full on major service the month before.

Tish Thinesen was at the same table and piped in “Oh cool. So you paid for lunch. Thank you!”

I do miss a lot of the folks in the FCA Pacific Region. And still have the sticker on my 328.

nicolaprince and paulchua like this.
  13. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The new shop Open House from 2008, with what I believe is Kevin’s 355 front and center, but an outstanding array of cars in attendance all around.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

nicolaprince and Way2fast like this.
  14. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Back in the topic of High Mileage Ferraris, John did a lot of concours prep leading up to Quail and Pebble Beach. Cars would be flown in, towed to his shop, and then brought to the field from there.

I remember one year there was a 166 up on the lift, and John told me that the owner had given strict instructions that the car was NOT to be driven AT ALL!! He was allowed to fire up the engine to ensure it would run on the show field, but NO MILES!!! John said he told the owner no problem, whatever you want, but one of these days when we run out of oil you won’t be able to drive it even if you want to. And then you’ll be kicking yourself.

That’s kind of the attitude I have taken with mine. Closing in on 80K miles on the 328, which would be even higher if I wasn’t already up to 45K on the 430.

nicolaprince and Way2fast like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Here is a short 5 minute video about how much he cares about these cars.

I hope you enjoy

"The Yellow Car"

You can see all 3 of his cars in the film.

Mel Spillman and Way2fast like this.
  16. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
  17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Bought my '78 308 with about 90,000 miles on it. Sold it with about 106,000 on it. I did a lot of work to it as it came to me pretty neglected or it would have had more miles. I didn't have the early history on it but as far as I know it never had the motor cracked open. Only maintenance type done to it while I owned it. It's probably running around England somewhere, that was the last I heard of it.

18. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Yup!!!! Was in my local main dealer getting mine after a 4 wheel alignment. A lovely 275 on the ramp having its annual MOT. It was the only time the car came out of storage! I just thought what a waste. If I was the owner I would be driving that every chance I had; your a long time dead and if you can afford to buy that car then what the hell would you care about some notional “depreciation”.

My 348 now at 66k miles. About 4K of trips planned for next year. It gets grumpy if not run every other week. I certainly didn’t buy it not to drive!!!

nicolaprince and knocker like this.
  20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #45 ginoBBi512, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    89 328 GTS with 102 K miles, no motor work other than all major services, to many elected and non elected restoration / up keeps to mention, most recent a brand new suspension system and AC system. My next car Lambo Gallardo, 08 6 speed ,manual, thought about F430 , but not enough car for the asking prices , great interior / motor, lousy design. if I ever have the money I would love a 488 despite the electronic gearbox. Not sure what happened at Pinan Farina after the 355, I guess they sobered up with the 458, while Ferrari became brain dead when it came to manual gearboxes, oh what those cars would be (458-488) with 6 speed manual gated gearboxes.Its not necessary for Ferrari road car motors to spool up like a Formula one car, especially with the fact that 99 percent of their owners will never put their motors though the paces

nicolaprince likes this.
  21. enderby@mac.com

Feb 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Kevin Enderby
    Hello Ferrari Chat, Kevin Enderby here with the three primary colored high mileage Ferraris. For those that get Cavallino check out the current issue, #259. They say in the article about the 308: "Experts we consulted said they’ve yet to see a Ferrari, any Ferrari, that has logged more miles." Be sure to read the editorial on page 3 that has the number 239,084 at the top. If you know of a higher mileage Ferrari send a letter to the editor :)

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I Only have 70,000 on mine. Driven once a week. It's not the longevity, it's how easily it gets there easily. ANY car can get you to 300,000 miles but the question is how much to get you there. Is it $500 a year in mainenance or is it $40,000 a year.

nicolaprince and Texas Forever like this.
  23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Head down to the Maranello thread.

24. 10speed

10speed Rookie

Sep 18, 2013
    I own a 330 GTC, 10425, with 111,526 miles. Drive it often. Runs like a champ, engine rebuild at 107,223

nicolaprince and Texas Forever like this.