Yellow Springs | FerrariChat

Yellow Springs

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Fugy, Sep 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fugy

Fugy Rookie

Sep 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam Hsieh
    Took delivery of my 2014 FF today. Saw that it came with yellow springs. Are the OEM springs of the FF yellow? I thought they were black. Wondering if the previous owner had installed lowering springs. I’m not sure if this FF sits lower then stock as I don’t have another one to compare with~

What color are your springs?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Congrats I took possession of my 2014 about three weeks ago
    Pictures?

3. Fugy

Fugy Rookie

Sep 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam Hsieh
    Congrats to you too!

Found the Novitec logo on the springs~ saves me a couple grand!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Stock uses black Eibach springs.

Yellow is most likely Novitec, which are actually $250 springs manufacturered by K&W but marked up to $1700.

350MH83 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  5. Fugy

Fugy Rookie

Sep 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam Hsieh
    I figured.... lol.

Ferrari tax

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    About the cost of just one Ferrari shock though...

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They may be KW springs, which are great springs by the way, but they are made to Novitecs specifications.

What you in part pay for, is the testing and R&D. I've been in various cars with various springs, and there's absolutely no getting away from the fact that Novitec generally nails it in terms of both progression and rate. Had a go in a 458 with "quality" H&R springs, and it absolutely ruined the ride.

All springs are basically made by the same few manufactures, but that's not the same as it being bad. Eibach usually make budget oriented springs, but they make some pretty damn good springs. And if you ever get to try a KW coilover setup, enjoy it. It will give any H&R Cup setup a difficult fight.

So Novis springs are KW? More power to them and kudos for making a great product.

Solid State and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You are correct about Novitec being a design house. Their package has a second set of softer and tighter wound springs at the base of each main spring. The OEM spring is just a single basic spring you find in any car. The Novitec final spring rate is closer to the VS versions of a base car. Suspension components such as springs and shock valving seem simple and overpriced until you do something like race a motorcycle and realize how critical the setup and testing is that went into it and how dangerous the wrong setup can be. I wish Ferrari offered high and low speed compression and rebound adjustment in the four corners of their cars.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Could be novitec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Natkingcolebasket69

I tell u what- I never driven my car without but the lowering sure alters the ride. I’m tempted to put stock back on to see the difference

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It also depends on if you are using different wheels and tires than stock as well. You could go to the dealer and test drive a car that is stock and then you will know.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

I got pilot sport cup 2h- they are pretty darn good, car feels nimble but is very low hence the harsher ride.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You might be surprised, I've tried cars with NR springs with stock wheels where the ride isn't really much worse at all. In one case the ride felt better!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think you'll do yourself a huge service by removing those springs and trying factory springs.
    There's no getting away from the fact that the FF is on the firmer side of things, and a set of lowering springs could greatly add to this. Generally speaking, Novitec seem to retain a pretty good and soft slow speed ride for cruising etc. so the fact that you describe the ride as harsh as you do, leads me to believe it might be another brand of spring, and not a Novitec. Your MPSC2 tyres should not be the cause of a harsh ride. Yes they are track focused, but in everything I've tried with those tyres, they have been both very smooth and quiet. Along with stock springs you should give the Lusso MPS4S tyres a go. Absolutely buttery smooth and still stick and react like glued to the road. In a big car like the FF, I think you would really have to push hard to get close to the limit difference between MPSC2 and MPS4S. And considering the fact that MPS4S and MPSS needs less heat to perform than the MPSC2, the case migh even be that the MPS4S will outperform the MPSC2 in 95% or more of the conditions you drive in.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Nope it’s the 1800 dollars novitec

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Okay. Interesting. Haven't been in an FF with Novi springs, so I don't know how they feel. Normally Novi does comfort very well, so that's a bit of a surprise. But again, even in stock form the FF is pretty firm, so adding even a small bit might take it way over the top. Just a thought.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Maybe also check the torsion control (anti-roll) bars. If those are thicker/stiffer then it will corner flatter but place a larger demand on the sprigs for comfort. Likely they are stock so also maybe check if the springs have been adjusted down so far as to over limit travel. Perhaps back them off a bit before the swap out to compare changes in small steps if your looking to make a change. Much cheaper as well.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.