California Grill Popping Out | FerrariChat

California Grill Popping Out

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Luciano (Lou) Casmiri, Sep 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luciano (Lou) Casmiri

Sep 18, 2019
    Jervis Bay - Vincentia NSW Australia
    Full Name:
    Luciano Casmiri
    After some effort, I can push the grill back in the slots but after movement it pops out, any advice or am I missing something
    Ciao

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hi Lou...That's a new one for me. Never heard of a Cali doing that. Has the car been in an accident, exposed to excessive heat, etc. or something else that might have led to this? Can you tell if there are some rivets, screws, etc. missing? If it were me, I'd run it in to the dealer and have them look @ it...T

3. Luciano (Lou) Casmiri

Sep 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Luciano Casmiri
    Thank you, nop no accident actually the car is as good as new with only 9,000K on the clock.
    All I can think is that; I pushed the grill back whilst cleaning and for some reason will not click back again or not lining up correctly with the clips. Thanking you again
    Ciao

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Lou, I'm not sure if your problem is now sorted but here are my comments.

I suspect the grill in your car was removed before and then it was not properly re-installed. The grill is otherwise not possible to "push back" if it is properly installed. Here is a photo of a silver version of the grill taken from behind.

There are 3 tabs (RED) along the bottom that are screwed to the front bumper. There are also 2 tabs (BLUE) that are slotted into openings in the bumper to keep the grill aligned and prevents the top of the grill from moving back. You will also notice there is a large flange that goes all around the entire grill and this flange prevents the grill from moving forward.

Finally, the grill insert itself is secured by no less than 20 screws (YELLOW) that are used in pairs at the points where the grill is secured to the flange.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here is a photo of how the grill of my car appears from the front. Make sure the flange of the grill is properly positioned with all tabs in place and verify all 3 screws along the bottom are there and tightened. Otherwise it is not possible to move the grill, without breaking it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Fireman1291 and tomc like this.
  5. Luciano (Lou) Casmiri

Sep 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Luciano Casmiri
    Thank you very much for the great help and absolutely first class explanation as to how to fix the problem.
    I am now sure that you comment about removed and not reinstall correctly is spot on! and from my view point rather disappointing because; I was given 100% guaranty from purchased dealer and service that no one has ever touched the grill!!
    Thanking you again and I guess that this is a good example of the great benefits of being a member of "FerrariChat"
    Ciao
    Lou

Fireman1291 likes this.
  6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    What can also happen, is that the front grill can get damaged while your car is parked. A car trying to parallel park in front of your can can back into the nose of your car and push in or dislodge the grill.

7. Luciano (Lou) Casmiri

Sep 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Luciano Casmiri
    Once again, thank you
    As a matter of facts, I do recall driving into a tree branch but, did not take too much notice at the time as it looked like that only the cavallino was gently scratched.
    All fixed now and after the last 3 F1, I am a very very happy Ferrari tifoso :eek:)
    Wishing you a great day
    Ciao
    Luciano (Lou)

4th_gear likes this.