2014 California top won’t close | FerrariChat

2014 California top won’t close

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dan Clark, Sep 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan Clark

Dan Clark Rookie

Sep 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan Clark
    I’ve owned my 2014 California for nearly a year without any issues. I took the wife to dinner the other evening and parked via valet. It was nice evening so we arrived too down, when we left valet had put the top up. I did not think big deal, however since that night(less than 3 days ago) I can not close the roof. I’d this coincidence or could the valet have closed it in a way that has affected operation?
    When I go to close the top it acts as if it want to pop up as normal but then immediately stops and message pops up roof failure.
    I’ve ensured nothing is in the way and even taken to open parking lot to ensure no sensor issues. I’ve tried the key fob reset many times(best I could understand it to be performed) with no success.
    Any tips that might work as I’m 4 hours from nearest Ferrari dealer as in in Nashville, TN?

2. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Check that nothing is blocking it inside the trunk. And also make sure that the divider is in the right position....had this exact issue a few weeks ago. Moved the divider back into the correct spot, problem solved. I’m sure it is supposed to move that automatically, but I did it by hand.

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    You might try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then reconnecting. There is also a procedure to manually open (or close) the roof in the owners' manual. I'm not sure if your roof is up or down by the way you worded your message. There are Hall sensors in the harness that monitor the position of the roof, and if there is a bad sensor, you can get an "implausible roof position" error and that will stop the operation (and set off the warning), it does that to try to ensure that the roof does not get twisted if one side or the other fails. You can also remove the little cover plates from inside the trunk (on the sides) and check that there is no evidence of hydraulic fluid leaking. The codes should be stored in the computer, but only the Ferrari software can read them.

4. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    Seems silly but try closing and opening all four windows a few times.

5. v tach

v tach Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 14, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    This happened to me and it turned out to be a bad / low battery. Apparently the top requires a lot of “juice” to go back up.