Ran 430 low on oil :( | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ran 430 low on oil :(

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by WilliamBenefield, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    So the F430 has hydraulic cam followers?

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    No oil in the gearbox is bad, especially if it is making noise. That indicates that something (a bearing or more) is damaged. It will be interesting to see what drains out of the gearbox, and what is stuck to the magnetic drain plug.

The big question is, where did the oil go? If there are no external leaks, the only place it can leak into is through the heat exchanger and into the cooling system. But usually if you have a heat exchanger leak, usually the higher pressure in the cooling system causes coolant to enter the gearbox, causing the oil level to be high (and look like a milkshake) and the coolant level to be low. The only other possibility is that it wasn't filled completely during the last service.

Yes, starting with the F355 introduced hydraulic cam followers. The 360, F430 and later cars all have hydraulic cam followers.

3. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    William,

Dumb question, but it needs to be asked: Did you check the oil with the engine running? The 430 is a DRY sump engine, so the oil level needs to be checked while running and fully warmed. If you check the dipstick with the engine off, nothing will show on the stick at all even though it has the correct amount of engine oil in it.

Also, the 430 exhaust system mounting is NOT the world's best design. The mounting rigidly restrains the exhaust components and puts all that expansion (about 10mm) into the manifold runners which is why Ferrari replaces the older OEM manifolds with a different part number despite the fact that the fault does not lie with the manifolds. It is guaranteed to fail at the runners from each exhaust port and one or more mounting brackets as you have already experienced. When the manifold runners fail you get a loud ticking sound. The Capristo mount will correct this.

Tom

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    He said in the first post that he let the engine warm up and the tech confirmed the oil level is good.

WilliamBenefield likes this.
  5. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    I did read that and understand, but an engine can be warm and, at the same time, NOT running. A dry sump engine has to be both to give a correct oil level reading. I know of at least two 430 owners who, seeing no oil on the dipstick, proceeded to add oil to get the oil level up to the middle of the dipstick. After all, conventional oil-level-wisdom is based on a WET sump engine where the oil level is checked with the engine off and cold. Rookie mistake. It happens.

What if William mistook the 430 for a wet sump engine, added oil to bring the level up to somewhere on the dipstick, then took the car to the tech in the post where the tech, also unaware of the fact that the 430 was a dry sump engine, checked the oil level with the engine off and got the same reading as William? Without more facts, I can't speak for or against the tech involved.

Tom

CiaoBella81 likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This specific tech has worked on my car so I can speak for.

CiaoBella81 likes this.
  7. CiaoBella81

CiaoBella81 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Ashley W

WilliamBenefield and f355spider like this.
  8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    steved033 likes this.
  9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Pretty sure I saw this car for sale on fb marketplace so now I’m really curious...

10. CiaoBella81

CiaoBella81 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Ashley W

11. CiaoBella81

CiaoBella81 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Ashley W
    Lifters on LH bank had collapsed on multiple intake and exhaust valves. Lifters were replaced on LH intake and exhaust ports. 16 in total. Major Ticking is no longer present. Timing chains and guides all looked okay and timing marks were spot on before and after repair.

Gearbox: internal damage; no metal found, but sounds like the tapered roller bearings may have failed. Filter was covered in remnants of white silicone rtv. Drain plug was also pretty gummed up. Black chunks of what appears to be a polymer or plastic was floating around in drained oil. Video supplied to client. Gearbox would require teardown to inspect and numerous special dealer tools. Recommended a gearbox replacement (done by FoA) or rebuild (done by FoH).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Ah, that sucks...I bet he's pretty sore on Ferrari at this point seeing how short his ownership experience was.

13. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Brutal. Hate to hear of someone having to go through this. Much less before even getting to enjoy the car.

Hope OP finds a decent solution in light of the circumstances. I guess in worst case scenario there’s the guy that’s been seeking wrecked/blown engine Ferrari’s on this site. Ideally though, OP fixes the car and gets to keep it.

14. WilliamBenefield

Aug 25, 2019
    I've been giving it hell. Put 6000 miles on it in the few months. No problems till today. E-Diff. Its headed back to her ;)

Dont regret it a bit. Super fun car. I have a lot of cars but hard to beat that Ferrari scream.

Wrapped her up. I let my sales guys take it for a day when they hit their numbers ;) Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  15. CiaoBella81

CiaoBella81 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Ashley W
    Which E-Diff warning came on dash. Red or Yellow? What were the driving conditions when it came on...while driving or idling at a stop?

16. WilliamBenefield

Aug 25, 2019
    Can't remember color. I was at a red light when it first happened with long beep. At that same time the dampers (dont know what they are really called) started opening only if you get on it. Normally they open at 3500rpm. Now they wont open till 5k rpm.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Leonardo Mangiolino likes this.
  17. Leonardo Mangiolino

Jan 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Mangiolino
    After listening to the video am leaning towards an exhaust leak, try to Plug the exhaust pipe on LS with a towel And see if the noise increases around the engine to rule out an exhaust leak.

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm glad to hear it, I thought you gave up on it.