Running costs: 458 Challenge vs GT3 | FerrariChat

Running costs: 458 Challenge vs GT3

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by ewright, Sep 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    For those gentlemen with firsthand experience, I’m hoping you can share your insights into the costs of running a 458 Challenge vs a 458 GT3 in a track day/non competitive environment.

2. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Trackday 458 GT3, prices in EUR
    2100 set of Michelins Slicks

Every 3-4 Trackday, depending Miles
    4200 Brakes/Pads all around (versus 20K for the Challenge?)

Engine / Gearbox lasts around 15K, rebuild costs 30-40K maximum.

The 458 GT3 is the best price for value Racecar you can get and cheap to run.

I raced the 458 GTE / GT3 and 488 GT3 intensively but I have no experience with the Challenge.

Teamsupport, Track rental etc no difference in costs between the two.

kaseo88, tomgt and ewright like this.
  3. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I run a 458 challenge EVO.

f you are driving the car fairly hard, you go through a set of tires in 4 heat cycles, one day. Plus race gas, pads, rotors. etc. I average about 5k per day without support. Disclosure: I am running ceramic brakes, steel would be cheaper.

Repairs are additional to that.

ewright likes this.
  4. OrangeFan

OrangeFan Rookie

Jul 29, 2017
    Cleveland
    I also run a 458 Challenge. I get way more use out of a set of tires, usually about 4 full days on track. They do eventually heat cycle into uselessness before they wear out. I also run steel brakes, which are a fraction of the cost, last longer and (in my opinion) stop harder more consistently. With all of that said, other things break, fluids need changing, etc. and I'm probably at $5K per 2-day weekend amortizing those costs in. Aside from major repairs, I do my own work and my own track support which cuts down on cost quite a bit.

I am speculating a bit, but I have to believe routine operating costs for the GT3 are similar. However, the major services are going to come more frequently and the initial price of the car is substantially higher. It's also not a Ferrari, so finding a tech might be more of a challenge.

With all of that said, I'd go GT3 if only for the fact that it's a way more bad-ass car. Might not even be that much faster, but it looks cooler doing whatever it does. And there'll be very few of them at any event you go to. And, by very few, I mean you'll have the only one.

ewright likes this.