Looking to buy first Ferrari | FerrariChat

Looking to buy first Ferrari

Discussion in '612/599' started by Kyle Stoffer, Sep 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
    Looking to pick up a 599 with the HGTE package. Located one in Florida and drove it, seemed solid. A few questions for those that know these cars.

Transmission lurched on initial start at low speeds...is this normal?

When shifting there was a noticeable lurch or lag in acceleration on shifts, I’m comparing it to the PDK in a 997 Turbo S which when you pulled the paddle the shift was like a hammer, seemed much quicker and more violent than the 599. Again, is this normal?

Last question, the tops of the pins that held the door to the frame of the car were painted white (color of the car). The 5 or 6 other 599s I’ve looked at, those pins were clearly installed after paint, is this a concern?

Anything else I should be concerned with. Car has 8,500 miles and clutch read is 60% remaining...which seems low compared to others with similar miles but I know that is simply the computer making a calculation vs an actual physical measurement.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to joining the Ferrari community.

lee-o likes this.
  2. lee-o

lee-o Karting

Dec 8, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Welcome - the clutch reading does seem to be a bit low for that mileage, and you should have a smooth takeaway and solid shifts with the 599 transmission. What you describe doesn't sound normal. Is this a dealer car or private party? Lots of dealers in Florida, who should be able to do a pre-purchase inspection. In terms of what else to look for, ball joints, the magneto shocks, and brakes (does this one have carbon ceramic?) should be evaluated.

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't own a 599 but do have a 612 OTO with the latest F1 system which has the same F1 as the 599. I also own a 997.2 Turbo S and I have to say the 997.2 Turbo S is quite a bit smoother shifting than my 612 OTO with F1. But I would not call the F1 shifting a lurch either but when the 612 is not warmed up and in auto mode it is pretty rough compared to the DCT Porsche system. That is just another reason to warm up the 599 and not use the auto mode. I never use the auto mode as I don't care for how the auto mode shifts. You might try driving another Fcar with the newer F1 system as either another 599 or a 612 OTO as all the OTO 612s will all have the same F1 system for a basis of comparison.

Also keep in mind the 60% ESTIMATE on the clutch life is just that an ESTIMATE. There are other threads which go into this issue. But there may be a reason for higher clutch usage – perhaps no one told the first owner not to back up hills/inclines as that causes abnormally high clutch usage. The dealer where I purchased my car said nothing about backing uphill and only learned about the issue hear on FerrariChat. My car had an estimated 92% remaining clutch life at 5.5k miles so that was never an issue I brought up at purchase.

Happy hunting!

FerrariTexas, Mor and Nospinzone like this.
  4. Kiwi599

Kiwi599 Rookie

Mar 6, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Judder on take off is a sign of clutch wear. Get it measured for sure as it’s an expensive fix. Check shocks for leaks. The shocks are the biggest issue here. They all go over time, not mileage as the rubbers decompose.

The F1 gearbox does take a bit to get used to, and yes at first it seems like the shifts are slow and lumpy. Shouldn’t be an issue as the more you drive it the better it will feel. They aren’t the smoothest gearbox in the world, nor anything like the Porsche.

Not sure about the door pins. Mine are body coloured as well.

Good luck.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  5. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
  6. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I had a 997.2 S and loved it.
    The first time I drove a 612 OTO with the F1 S shifter I thought something was wrong!
    The Porsche PDK is amazing but requires no skill or involvement to use. It is very utilitarian.
    The Ferrari requires engagement to drive well. You don’t “ride in it”, you drive it.
    At my age and back issues, a 3 pedal for daily driving is too much.
    I bought the 612. After a year and a half, I bought a 575 for daily driving. I also bought a 991 with an amazing, improved transmission. But I’d rather drive the “old” transmission car(s). It’s a lot more fun.

FerrariTexas and Makuono like this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The two clutch systems, and therefor the transmissions, are VERY different. The PDK is a dual clutch, wet system. The 599 has a dual plate, dry clutch. You wouldn't expect them to drive anything alike and you need to drive the 599 more akin to a 3 pedal car since that is essentially what it is. With the 599 you can feel the clutch engage just like any 3 pedal car. The PDK drives a lot like an automatic, just push the gas and go. So is what your feeling the clutch engaging or a problem, no way to diagnose that no the internet.

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sounds like a typical low mileage 599 that was abused instead of being driven correctly. I have 45K on my car with the original clutch and no problems what so ever.

FerrariTexas and Mor like this.
  9. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    I’ve 911 997.2 with PDK and also 599. Two different words with shifting, but in Sport or Race mode F599 isn’t any worse in my opinion. Clutch and everything with F1 system in perfect condition required to get perfect shifts.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Be patient and find the best car for you.
    The good news is that 599s especially hgtes continue to depreciate so the longer your hunt the better financilally.
    Fyi f12s do as well.
    The gap between hgte and f12 narrows.

11. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
  12. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
  13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Well done and a great looking car. I considered white but got red. What does your interior look like? Congratulations!

14. Philipnz

Philipnz Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Whitianga New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Philip Hart
    Fantastic, from a new 599 owner in NZ

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kyle- Very pretty. Congratulations.

16. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
    F612, 599_GTO, Skidkid and 3 others like this.
  17. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    Amazing 599!

Congrats!

18. FerrariTexas

FerrariTexas Karting

Aug 31, 2009
    Austin
    That's fun - congrats. Great thread and wonderful advice!

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Very nice. Congrats and I wish you good luck with it.

20. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Beautiful car, best of luck!