The Daniel Ricciardo Thread - Praise or banter, but take it easy guys! | FerrariChat

The Daniel Ricciardo Thread - Praise or banter, but take it easy guys!

Discussion in 'F1' started by VPX, Sep 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    So, opening a thread for a pilot that I kind of like, but is disappointing me. Love the overtakes, think he has the killing instinct and a really fun character.

At some point, I'd like to see him wearing red. It would be a good #2 to Charles. Could score solid points and keep Chuck in his best shape. Just not sure he would want to be a #2.

Is Ricciardo being screwed by Renault, or his talents are not up to the public expectations?

Praise or banter, take it ****ing easy guys!

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    He's good, very very good, i think he just lack a litle bit of raw speed, but he compensates that on sundays and his racecraft skills in close combat are top notch, better tha Seb's and elton's, and even max...I still wait on Charles...he displayed a big set of those around monaco...but with a merc, Ricci is definitely championship material. (Seb and Charles, Elton and Max and Ricci) this are currently the top 5 dogs in the grid, no question about it.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    He´s ahead of Hulkenberg so I wouldn´t say that he´s doing badly. But it´s difficult to have clean races in the midfield.

At the right price, I´d swap him for Vettel without hesitation, mostly because he´s younger and more reliable. He was faster in 2014, but let´s not read too much in that: one year is not a perfect statistical sample and we all know that Vettel has a tendency to turn off his brain from time to time. Also Ricciardo is not the less crash prone driver of the field: he´s the first driver I see crashing when driving in reverse.

VPX, daytona355 and william like this.
  4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    He's the real deal in a genuine carbuncle of a race car. Unfortunately for him, he has only two teams that could hand him a WDC, but top seats in those teams are taken for a long time.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    One of my favourite drivers. Very talented. I still say among the best in F1. He left for what he thought the right reasons. Can't blame him for that. Honda had an appalling record, and Renault gave him 30 million reasons to leave.

His deficit to Verstappen in the final year where bound to happen I guess. And IMO there's no shame in coming 2nd to Max. Especially when you see how the next teammates are fairing against him so far...

Obviously drawing conclusions from a single season isn't completely accurate, but he was faster than Vettel at Red Bull. Vettel/Leclerc aren't far apart. Leclerc is already regarded as one of the best in F1 by some...so using that logic Ric is very much in the running as a top 3 current driver.

I'm looking forward to him being at Ferrari. Or Mercedes, if that HAS to happen.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ricciardo is at the moment my favourite driver, and I despair seeing him languishing mid-field.
    Ricciardo is for me, one of the best, but we may never see his talent fully exploited if he can't get a drive in a leading team.
    I cannot see him coming to the front as long as he drives for Renault, that's for sure.
    On past form, I judge him better than Vettel or Bottas, probably equal to Hamilton and Verstappen..
    I will stick my neckout to say that he could be WDC material ... but not at Renault !
    I am afraid that in years to come, we may consider him as wasted talent, if he can't find a good team.

jmillard308, VPX and Sharknose like this.
  7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    He is a good driver, popular guy, but he has'nt done anything really spectacular in his career. Max took some shine away from him. I think it was a mistake going to Renault, he would be still on podiums if he had stayed with RB.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ricciardo was straight away on the pace when he joined Red Bull and won 3 GPs that year, beating Vettel regularly.
    He was at least equal to Verstappen later, but suffered many reliability problems with the Renault engines.
    Ricciardo probably wanted to escape from Red Bull where Horner and the corrosive Marko kept praising Max and blaming him for lack of success.
    Surprinsingly he elected to join Renault; money talks of course.

Etcetera and ktu like this.
  9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Made the worst career choice ever and pays the price for it now. At least with him not winning I won't have to see that most disgusting drinking from a worn shoe.

bmwracer likes this.
  10. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    He had no choice, second fiddle to Max, or the midfield.... such a shame, very talented driver

Igor Ound, crinoid, stavura and 3 others like this.
  11. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    First time we agree on something, I think! How about that! :D

stavura, Jeronimo GTO and william like this.
  12. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Screwed himself by going to Renault. If he really wanted to make a play for a top team, he would have stayed with RB and tried to compete with Max. I like him a bunch, but lost points with me making the Renault decision. Should have been like Bottas, stay with a top team and fight for number 1, don't go to a lesser team just to be number 1.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Not being allowed to win and being #2 at RBR is much worse than not being able to win and being #1 at Renault. No top seats were open, so he took the giant sack of cash at Renault, and he gets to keep his self respect, too.

daytona355, VPX and william like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    He may look for a better drive at the end of his Renault contract.
    By the end of 2020, there could be vacancies at Mercedes or ... Ferrari ?

VPX likes this.
  15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    He still will be around when Hamilton, Bottas and Vettel quit. I think he'll have his chance.

16. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Arguably the most likeable guy on the grid..... Fabulous driver as well.

Still very disappointed with his move. Renault seems to be heading the wrong direction and we don't get to see the best of him.

Bas, bmwracer, I'm 360 Canuck and 7 others like this.
  17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    He about him winning a wdc with Alfa one day? Would love that!

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

He should be at Mercedes - but - it will not happen while the Little Mermaid is still there

Bas, VPX, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  19. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    One of my favorite drivers. Love his personality and believe he has the racecraft to compete with the best if given the proper car. Seems to be squandering prime years at Renault but I can't hate on him for taking the money and #1 status. Hope he gets a seat at one of the top teams before his career is over.

jmillard308, bmwracer and william like this.
  20. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    IMO, what separates him from the top tier drivers is, the killer instinct, or lack thereof. He’s controlled, but not on the edge quite enough, to be competitive.
    Another Bottas at best.

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I disagree. I think he has the killer instinct....just the ultimate outright speed compared to the very top of today he's missing that tiny edge.

He'd have to lose a lot of talent to be ranked among the likes of Bottas

375+, VPX and stavura like this.
  22. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    +1

If he was at Bottas place, Lewis would have a run for his money

Bas likes this.
  23. Cenzoooo

Cenzoooo Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    Queens, NY
    Full Name:
    Vincent L
    I love watching him race. He takes chances and makes ballsy moves. I think Albon has been watching his career carefully, because he has been driving like Ricci since his promotion to RB.
    Daniel is so good at the late lunge into a corner, and his passing through chicanes had been very good until Singapore. His care just didn't have the traction out of the corners to make his moves stick, and he got run over trying to stalk down Gasly (?).
    I want him at Ferrari because I love that ****ing goofball. Id love hearing him do a "ciao ragazzi" at the end of a race, wearing red. And I don't know if anyone else has been paying attention, but Ferrari isn't running an A,B team, and hasn't for a while now. Ferrari is out for the team to score points. They are using the old man's tactics of letting the driver's fight each other for table scraps.
    Charles has not been given special treatment this year in any race I recall. If Ricciardo joins the team, he will have to prove his ability immediately to avoid becoming a Bottas boy. And if he can't match Charles in quali, then his compensation in Pizza will has to sop up the tears of a #2 driver. Oh yeah, pizza and millions of dollars to drive the fastest race cars on the planet.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Who are the drivers you think have "the killer instinct" at the moment.

I say at the moment, so please don't bring back Alonso, Schumacher, or Fangio, etc ...

25. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Question wasn't for me, but
    LEC / MAX top notch
    VET on a good day
    SAI / KYV / RIC / NOR but unfortunately don't have the car for better fights

william likes this.