New GPF = worse exhaust note on new Ferraris? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

New GPF = worse exhaust note on new Ferraris?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RayJohns, Jun 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    How do you know the MY2020 812 absolutely had GPF?

From what I have been finding, no early MY2020 812s have GPF as these cars were built in July/August,especially for a car from 2 weeks ago (Sept 10), in fact, it is not clear when GPF will actually be added to 812s, but, to this point, I do not believe any customer delivered 812s have GPF.

I think what you were hearing was the difference between a brand new 812 with "no miles" and one that has been broken in. I can take upwards of 2000 miles before the 812 exhaust is fully seated/broken in. And 812s with >2000 miles will be louder and better sounding than brand new 812s, that is well known.

The EU regulation that will require Ferrari to fit GPFs to the 812s beginning 1/1/2020, it is "calendar year" and not based on "model year".

I really doubt you were hearing a car with GPF, again, it is not clear when Ferrari will start fitting GPFs to 812s, as of one week ago, based on a factory visit by a dealer I spoke with, GPF was not yet in production but will be eventually...

So, please let us know how it was 100% confirmed the car you saw actually had GPF installed.

Thank you

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. TheMagician

TheMagician Rookie

Oct 25, 2018
    Czech Republic
    I spoke about the possibility of doing some exhaust mods on 812 with the ferrari representatives, they offered that they could possibly modify the rear part of the exhaust to get more sound by Tubi Style in Italy before the car is delivered to me. I think that capristo and novitec will offer mods to rear and part of the exahust, but removing the GPF will need ECU tinkering, which not many exhaust modifiers want to do. IF you have ordered GTS, I do not think that you will be disappointed by the sound with the roof down, as I have mentioned the sound is only about 10percent worse (slightly quieter, slightly different tone) but still 100% v12 ferrari for sure. Aldo ferrari website mentions, that they have modified the middle part of the exhaust on gts so that the v12 sound is still present.

3. TheMagician

TheMagician Rookie

Oct 25, 2018
    Czech Republic
    Because the GPF is a big topic for me as I have ordered 812 as well and I have been collecting information about GPF everywhere I could. I was told by my dealer, who specifically asked about GPF to many relevant people in the factory and they confirmed that the cars -812 SF- in model year 2020 will have GPF. I was also negotiating about getting my car earlier, to catch 2019 MY but I missed it probably about a few weeks.
    June and July Cars does not have GPF. in August there was a factory holiday, and right after that the 812SF supposed to be only with GPF. The cars which were delivered in September, were 2020 MY and I was told that they have GPF fitted. If those cars were 2020without GPF, then the sound difference was just by the fact, that the cars were new and did not allow full-revs.

That is absolutely true, however I was told, that they have to start fitting GPF earlier, just for the fact, that transportation, special atelier requirements, can take longer, and if that's the case and the car is not registered before 1.1.2020, you are out of luck and you cannot register that car without a GPF. So as precaution the automakers sharted fitting them early. AMG is doing it for some time as real-world tests. Also it makes a sense to fit GPF, re-tune the engine, recalibrate ECU while you doing MY update and not in middle of the production cycle.

4. TheMagician

TheMagician Rookie

Oct 25, 2018
    Czech Republic
    I was told exactly the same some time ago - "Yes, GPF is planned for sure. We do not know when, later this year...."
    But then I was told different answer - during event Universo Ferrari, that the car does have GPF fitted in all MY2020. I think that Mr.Massini also mentioned that some time ago and he said, that he does have the information straight from the factory.

5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Many 812s have arrived in USA as "MY2020" but these cars were built in July (as I presume your dealer's car from 2 weeks ago), they have the new ADAS nannies but not GPF. The factory holiday was from 3rd week of July through 3rd week of August so factory production started again in late August.

My current theory is this, the factory will build 812s in September and October without GPF and then halt 812 production until GPF is ready for 812 production - this to allow time for finishing and shipping to dealers in EU to provide time for customer delivery prior to 1/1/2020. There is a possibility non-EU (no GPF required) production will continue without being halted at all and simply 'switch over' to 812+GPF when ready.

I am not certain if there is a technical problem such as the design is not fully ready or if there is a supplier issue. However, there is something "wrong" because 812s are not yet being built with GPF.

As for your TM/Atelier concerns, those all occur prior to the engine being fitted to the car:

10 - Orders accepted (Green = Entered (10G) Red 10 = No Changes (10R or RED 10))
    20 - Chassis assembly (at Scaglietti)
    30 - Painting
    40 - Assembly line (dash/wiring/interior/options)
    50 - Assembly line (engine/transmission)

then testing, shipping

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. TheMagician

TheMagician Rookie

Oct 25, 2018
    Czech Republic
    Thanks for the insight, that is interesting. I am about to cancel my allocation by the end of September, simply because of GPF. I really do not want it, my idea was to get greatly spec 812 to my liking and immediately put the exhaust system from Novitec Rosso and the GPF prevents me to do that. I will rather cancel the order and get 812 which might not be my dream spec, but it will a model without GPF.
    I was trying to figure out the GPF issue for a couple of months, but I have to say, that local Ferrari dealer is somehow failing with getting information from the factory, or maybe they do not try hard enough. Which is disappointing as there were a lot of promises made to me in the past couple of months about me getting my car earlier without the GPF, which has changed to, "sorry you will get your car with GPF for sure, but it is not that bad"

7. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    The GPF system is definitely going to be one tough nut to crack but where there is a will there is a way.
    There are not that many examples on the road currently so I'm sure in due time someone will shed a bit more light on this situation.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I can confirm my car arrived recently and it is MY 2020. It was built in July. It has the 360 cameras but not the radar (thank goodness!). We tried a MY 2018 812 from the dealer inventory start up and some revs. Then tried my brand new car. The sound is identical. So while I don't possess x-ray vision, I can't 100% say my car does not have GPF, but I am pretty sure it does not have GPF. If it does have GPF then I can tell you it sounds identical to the non-GPF car....

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    GPF or no GPF, the most important thing is: congratulations and enjoy in very good health, Jerry!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

Melvok and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    Makes me want to just continue buying old Ferrari's and be happy with them. All future ones will have GPF and mist likely turbo.

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No turbos for the V12s in the foreseeable future.

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I guess the URL for the article above is not allowed. If you search google for "ferrari exhaust GPF" and click on the following image, then you can probably locate the article in question.

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Do a search on OPF Pandoras Box (not GPF) and you'll find it.

15. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Hrm... is it just me or does this remind anyone of the diesel particle filters?

Solid State likes this.
  16. coopersjcw

coopersjcw Karting

Apr 29, 2007
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the information.

I have an 812 on order for November delivery, and after many requests and not getting straight answers from my dealer, I requested to cancel the order unless I was giving a final 100% confirmation that my car will not have GPF.
    24h after they confirmed all 812 built this year, will NOT have GPF.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal

I hope this is the case. Ordered mine a year ago, paint delays, and now it's a 2020 model. In production now, expected completion in November. Who knows...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    One of the articles says they got the idea for these filters from the diesel ones...

Tubi Sales likes this.
  19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Wow, that is most enlightening! That means GPF is not ready and who knows when it will be, wow!

However, all MY2020 812s will include all those new electronic nannies including the mysterious Automatic Emergency Braking, mysterious because you'll never know what will engage it, I do hope it goes smoothly, maybe Ferrari will turn down its sensitivity to where it never really engages.

20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    maybe has to do with retooling production to coincide with 812 GTS production since they've done it there

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Most definitely. Except the diesel version has an additional injector that sprays the equivalent of urine into the exhaust port to spray down the gasses and soot coming out. The resulting sludge collects in the filter where, after a predetermined amount of mileage/time, the engine goes into a very lean high idle regen mode cooking the canister and local exhaust components to incinerate the particles. In the early models you could not be on a grassy surface as it could start a fire getting so hot. You also need to carry a bottle of the urine with you as an empty sump will set a CEL and put you in limp mode until either you add the fluid or it will fail to run.

It is said that the particle size/amount limit is an issue because of direct injection which adds better, fuller combustion and more control-ability of the flame propagation but leaves more soot at the valve. Ferrari are engine design masters so they can solve this problem with multiple injectors per cylinder (one upstream) or changing the rail pressure or some other intake/spark combination. They are an engine company first and foremost. Maybe if people cancel orders as is being remarked in this thread they will release a compliant design without GPF and move the state of the art.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    My
    I understand that Lambo has an engine design that does not require GPF due to direct injection (?). I’m not a technical person so can’t explain the details. Would be interesting if true!

23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Now that would be outstanding. But of course they'd need the requisite R&D budget in order to facilitate such a breakthrough, and my understanding is that R&D budgets have been cut as a means of achieving profit optimization.

Solid State likes this.
  24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Err, no. DI is the reason that these engines need a PPF/GPF and Lamborghinis will require one. Those who did without it were Aston Martin in the Valkyrie, as Cosworth opted for a port injected engine design.

25. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Here is the emission spec for my MY2020 812, June 2019 build. There is no GPF- you can google these codes. I am so relieved this was not implemented. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.