6 Speed Manual California | Page 3 | FerrariChat

6 Speed Manual California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by derekmines, Apr 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    It's interesting to see how "reasonable" the guide prices are for majority of the cars in this sale. 2015 it definitely ain't anymore.

2. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Ross - what an amazing rare Ferrari to have! Good luck with the sale.

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    On the non-EU registered cars being sold off by the Swiss state, I expect you need to add import duty + VAT to bring the car into EU which I think will add another 30% or so. May be why it looks low on the guide price.

Has anyone looked at whether these cars need to be exported from Equatorial Guinea as well first?

4. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I was wondering if there was VAT in play here since +20-25% would bring the prices more in-line with what I was expecting them to be.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Last week's 599 manual did slightly better @ £ 360 than today's 130 000 CHF hammer

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    130k is a long way from the million some think these gated Calis are worth.
    I think a gated 599 generally has more interest than a gated Cali. No matter how you slice it, the Cali simply does not carry much prestige - gated or otherwise. A gated V12 is a whole different matter.

Not knocking the Cali, that's just how it look to me.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I agree it's always nicer to have a Ferrari V12 than a Ferrari V8 but I disagree with you on the gated transmission Cali.

Aside from the V12 vs V8, a big reason why the gated transmission does not lift the Cali's value as much as it does for the 599 GTB is because the DCT works very well in the Cali and makes for a much more successful package than the F1 transmission 599 package. In short, a gated transmission does not correct any negatives for the Cali whereas it definitely does with the 599 GTB.

The 599 GTB belongs to a very different generation of Ferraris, where the gated transmission was better suited. The 599 GTB was Ferrari's V12 muscle car with an F1 transmission that was never going be a successful long term design and the gated transmission fixes that. The 599 and the gated transmission appeal to the same buyers segment.

OTOH, the Cali heralded and belongs to a newer generation of Ferraris, where the gated transmission is more of a potential collector's investment or a novelty that extends a feature of the previous generation of Ferraris in a car that actually works better with a DCT. The appeal of Calis and PFs is in the way they offer top-down high performance driving for any driver who can handle the speed and the DCT optimizes that by appealing to what the car does for the driver - not what effort the driver has to put into driving the car. So the gated transmission falls completely outside of the Cali's intended buyers segment.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    its not my car.
    i was helping my friend, who i helped to buy the car originally.

he was not terribly happy with the result.
    i think he was hoping for about double this, but that is the risk with no reserve auctions - if only one person who wants it badly shows up.....

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think the average duty/vat to paid to register these cars outside of switzerland is about 20pct.

all these cars were in switzerland.
    my friend's car was not part of the equitorial guinea seizure of course.

10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and you are right.
    the person most disappointed today is my friend.
    the person most disappointed after that is the guy who bought the other one at auction a year or so ago and paid $400k....

11. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Your friend's car was stolen.

But 400 was a bit foolish by the buyer.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Things only carry the value people are willing to pay. The days of outlandishly high price gouging is over for a while, which is good, and things become more reasonable.

Some will be left feeling a bit burned, but that's just the reality of this game. Sometimes it is the buyers, sometimes it is the sellers. This was simply a very clear indication of actual value and interest vs. perceived value.

Investing in cars to make a profit is really hard unless you have some really special unicorns on your hand. Trust me, at some point down the line, even a 250 GTO seller will lose. Everything has its time and even with the most extreme exotic stuff, there are no guarantees and prices go up and down.

sixcarbs likes this.