Thoughts on my choices - 2011 458 or 2013 MP4-12C | FerrariChat

Thoughts on my choices - 2011 458 or 2013 MP4-12C

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Synetos, Sep 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Synetos

Synetos Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bilboa Baggins
    Hi

First time poster.

I have the chance to buy a 2011 Ferrari 458 with full Ferrari dealership service history but 103,000KM OR a 2013 Mclaren MP4-12C with only 12,000 KM

Both are available for $75,000 US

Given the higher miles of the 458 I just wanted to know peoples thoughts.

paulchua likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome!

Which do you prefer right now?

Cheers

3. Synetos

Synetos Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bilboa Baggins
    Well its really my first chance to step into this league of cars. Most exotic cars before this were a Porsche Boxster or Chevrolet Silverado pick up
    so I would be over the moon with either. I guess my enquiry is around whether or not to expect any anticipated issues with the 458 considering the high mileage but I know it has full Ferrari service history, so in theory shouldn't be an issue. Also in terms of value for money and resale value. From what I have read it seems the 458 would be a better choice again, but I'm trying to gauge other peoples thoughts mainly.

paulchua likes this.
  4. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Well, the MP4-12C is well known to be problematic and very expensive to repair. Tons of quirks and strange issues as well. Being driven very little adds to this.

I would go with the 'well loved' 458, provided that there are service records to back up that it's been properly maintained and a clean title. 103k km isn't a ton of miles all things considered. If the prior owner used it regularly (and the 458 is supposed to be adept at daily driving), that's 4 to 6 years of use. With the mileage, resale value will likely remain low-ish.

Caeruleus11 and paulchua like this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #5 greyboxer, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    I'd be hoping for either car to have full factory warranty and if you are concerned about the McLaren reliability maybe a nearby dealer

It could be worth looking for similar threads asking similar question previously

Although in a couple of years the 12C might depreciate more the 458 could be harder to sell because the mileage will be so much higher both in absolute terms and especially as viewed by the Ferrari market

As an aside are you sure about those prices ? The 458 especially seems wrong or are you perhaps in the Middle East ?

6. Synetos

Synetos Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bilboa Baggins
    There are dealerships for both cars within 5 miles of my home so getting them serviced should be ok. I know the Ferrari owner was very wealthy and money is no object with him but less sure about the background of the McLaren. Price wise from what I have searched (From the UK market, which is where I would resell it) it seems the 458 is priced pretty cheap in comparison to similar aged cars but with half the mileage - I have seen the cheapest listed in the UK for almost double what this guy is asking. This raises the "Is it too good to be true scenario, but I genuinely do know the background of the Ferrari owner and don't think is is too concerned to get top dollar for it, more like just to get it sold to make room for his next V8 beast.

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Can I recommend the McLaren to you so that I can have the 458 !

Even so non-European Ferraris can be difficult to resell in the UK

8. BLKBLK

BLKBLK Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2011
    I know it might be irrelevant, but I wouldn't go for neither of them. 458 seems like an easy choice of the two but 100K+ mile is pretty high. If I'm looking for a car around $75k range, I would look for a later year 1st gen V10 R8 or AMG-GT.

9. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I had an AMG-GT. haha. Talk about reliability issues...... I had the same experience as this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ug492vyFUs

I had eight warranty repairs in under two years. Transmission twice, coils, engine mounts, etc.

1st gen Audi R8 would be on my list though! Love that car and Audi repair prices.

My 458 has been more reliable than any AMG I've owned, FWIW. I love the sound of them, but I'm done with AMG. (Now if I had the money and a guy to keep them running, that'd be great. I love driving them)

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think it's essential to take your time and find the car that really 'speaks' to you. Drive them both, if you have not already (as well as other vehicles in your price range) - try to follow your heart as least as equally as your brain.

Best wishes to you and welcome to Fchat!

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that 458 was prob used by a leasing company. wldnt touch it with a 10 ft pole

paulchua likes this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That’s dirt cheap. Over here in Europe, 458s with 100.000 plus kms don’t go for less than 115-125.000 Euros.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  13. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    75k usd? Somethings up.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Cheapest Ferrari to buy is often most expensive to own. I'd go with the Macca ONLY if you can get extended warranty since it's newer, has much less mileage, and you have a dealer 5 minutes away.

Natkingcolebasket69 and ScottS like this.
  15. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    There is no choice . The Mclaren MP4-12c has to possibly the worst unreliable late model exotic built on the planet . Runs like a scalded monkey but that's where it ends. Factory support not to red hot either . If there's a choice go with the 458.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am watching an old Top gear show right now comparing the two - very timely. Ill let you know what they say. :)

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    OK, the 12C destroyed all of the cars on the track including a Veyron. It came in 2nd to the Ariel Atom so yes it is fast. More performance than just about any car out there for the money and super car looks. I can't comment on problems with a 12C as Ive never owned one but dont think for a minute that a 458 hasn't had its issues as well. Buy the one that makes you excited and brings enjoyment. When you are done try another.

IloveGT and sampelligrino like this.
  18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'd take a 458 with 103KM over even a brand new MP4-12C with zero miles

Ray

cavsct94, elt360 and Ash Patel like this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007

elt360 likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

458-this is even a thread. Mod should close that ASAP lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Natkingcolebasket69

For that price are u sure none of those have been in an accident? This seems awfully low for the McLaren and even the Ferrari.

22. Natkingcolebasket69

He is saying 66kmiles ie 103km

23. Rory breaker

Apr 17, 2017
    OP - let’s see links to both cars.

paulchua likes this.
  24. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    The 458 is way to cheap. Nobody will sell a good car for this price.

25. Rory breaker

Apr 17, 2017
    A 12c with 12k miles for 75k isn’t real either. Just like this thread isn’t real. Unless these are salvage/wrecked cars.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.