How good is Bottas ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How good is Bottas ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by SimCity3, Sep 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    He is a JAG. "Just another guy."

Nothing special. A poor man's Rubens.

2. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    He would make a good # 2 for Leclerc for 2-3 years then bring in a youngish gun.

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Yep, ala barrichello or Irvine!

VPX likes this.
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What some people forget, is that being Number 2 in a top team is generally far more rewarding that being Number One among the minnows.
    Not only you get a better car and more money, but you get more chances to have podium places, the occasional win, perhaps some poles and fastest laps too.
    More than half the field (if not 3/4) have no hope of that. Of course you have to forfait some personal ambition and be a team player.
    Some may have laughed at Irvine, Barichello, Massa in the past, or Bottas now, but they built a career and made money by accepting some team rules.

Mark(study) and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Irvine simply lacked the extra speed to compete with Schumacher on a relentless basis. He has stated so himself.

Herbert said the same.

Bas, Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  6. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    No one had, or has, Schumacher speed! Forza Schumi

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Bas, stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland

I agree with everything except the first sentence. A real racer would want to fight, not just support.

8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Earlier in the season, Bottas had more fight in him and was engaged competing for the win. Now he's more content playing second fiddle with the large points gap to Hamilton.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I’d rather be a #2 at Ferrari than a #1 at Alfa that’s for damn sure! God bless Kimi, but if he had a choice I’m sure he would’ve stayed at Ferrari as a #2.

Bottas works well with a volatile and mentally fragile Hamilton, his role has his team purposes and he’s paid well for his role.

Is he good enough to be world champion? Definitively no.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think some drivers who arrive in F1 find their limitations before long.
    They may have been the best of their class in F2 or F3, and even won championships, but in F1, they are confronted with the very best.
    Only a few can expect to match the leaders immediatly like Piquet did, or Schumacher, or Alonso, even Hamilton, Verstappen, or Leclerc, etc ....
    For others, it's hard graft to keep up, and the brutal reality hits them: they will never be the best.
    But they can still make a career in F1 and work for a team rather than for personal ambition.
    An intelligent man accepts his limitations and make them work to his advantage.
    A Number 2 in a top team can earn a good living, and collect some rewards.

vinuneuro and bmwracer like this.
  11. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    bottas is very good. hamilton is just better hence why merc have him as their numero uno

ktu, vinuneuro, william and 1 other person like this.
  12. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Oops. Clint Eastwood arrived in the thread ‘a good man always knows his limitations’ :)

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

classic308 likes this.
  13. Cenzoooo

Cenzoooo Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    Queens, NY
    Full Name:
    Vincent L
    I've never seen Bottas make a move that floored me. He's been playing the hold em back game for so long, I forget he's there's every weekend.
    I've seen others him compared to KIMI, but I don't see it.

daytona355, stavura and 375+ like this.
  14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Exactly. Rubens never admitted it, but he knew it. How many times were Irvine or Rubens genuinely faster throughout a weekend than MSC and asked to cede position? I can count those on one hand yet the media has created this narrative that MSC's teammates moved over for him all the time.

Patently false.

daytona355, Bas, rmani and 1 other person like this.
  15. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
  16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. And Schumacher never looked happy when his teammates moved over for him.

TifosiUSA, SimCity3 and daytona355 like this.
  17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That’s because Schumacher has class, something totally lacking in the little ballerina!

Jeronimo GTO and stavura like this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

The Mercedes remains the best car over race distance.

TifosiUSA and fil like this.
  19. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #69 zygomatic, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    As I see it, Valtteri is very fast. However he doesn’t seem to have two things that stand out in Lewis. The first is what can be called that ‘winning is the only thing’ instinct. He seems content to be a #2. I don’t think Lewis would. (Which isn’t to say that I agree with his expression of that drive - but it is there nonetheless)

He also doesn’t seem to have that ability to pull a fast lap out when he needs it. Lewis - whatever his faults - always seems to be able to find that huge lap during qualifying. That, more than Ferrari’s speed, is what struck me most about Saturday’s qualifying. Lewis, seemingly out of nowhere, picked up the better part of half a second to pip Seb for 2nd.

I don’t see - or at least can’t remember - Bottas being able to find that extra few tenths when it counts most.

ktu likes this.
  20. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    4 pole positions for Bottas this season isn't chump change. IMO Bottas' issue isn't qualifying, it's closing the victory on Sunday. He seems to lack that killer instinct to finish on top of the podium. In his post-race interviews, Bottas often seems resigned, some may say content, with his 2nd or 3rd place finishes.

21. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    He had to face reality, LH is better. He can be very fast but like with Massa / FA, something's missing.

22. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Disagree about Alonso but agree with the rest of your statement.

This is Bottas facing and accepting reality.

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

He might be « crap » but i find it funny for ppl to criticize whilst they have never raced at that level and don’t know the kinda of conditionning needed to even drive the car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william likes this.
  24. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 I suspect that Bottas is contractually bound to yield/not challenge Lewis. He is following team orders, banking a fat paycheck and picking up the odd win along the way.