California navigation REQUIRES SXM subscription? | FerrariChat

California navigation REQUIRES SXM subscription?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MKTViper, Sep 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I test drove an 09 the other day that advertised Navigation, however when pressing the MAP button the screen said to contact Sirius XM to set up a subscription.

Is that right? Will a Ferrari not even show the map without a subscription to SXM? My Merc has Navigation but the SXM subscription only provides traffic data. The maps work without the subscription.

Any insight?

2. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    As far as I know you do not need Sirius for the crappy navigation.

3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I have pretty extensive experience with this type of Nav unit since they are related to the Chrysler units. I have 2 vehicles equipped with these nav units. No you do not need a subscription to sxm for the maps to work. There are map updates to can purchase, but they are pricey and I believe the last year updates are available for these units is 2016 but I could be wrong.

I inquired about these radios to a vendor that specializes in them for the dodge/Jeep/Chrysler units and the differences between the units with the Ferrari unit. Took a while but apperently there were 2 companies that manufactured them and it was a Harmon Becker design. The main difference in them is the bus speed. But the software is likely different for the Ferrari unit then for any of the various Chrysler units.

They sometimes do weird stuff and it gets interesting if the hard drive fails. I’ve had to do a hard reset at least once on both of our vehicles equipped by removing the main radio fuse while the vehicle was off but the unit retained power and was stuck on the vehicle logo screen.

Now that phones are the way they are a subscription to any of the services offered for these units is complety unneeded.

4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

SXM Subscriptions are not required for Navigation to work.

Welcome to the family! ( Assuming you find the right Ferrari for you soon ;-) )

S

5. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! And I had the dealer (Bentley dealership) check the navigation again and she confirmed the maps worked fine without the subscription. That one was a 2009...always weary of first model year so I think I'll pass on that one. Still on the hunt! Thanks again for the help.