Used 458 Speciale questions | FerrariChat

Used 458 Speciale questions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by red308, Sep 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    I have been looking for a used 458 Speciale and I have several questions (US Market). I have found several that I have been discussing in detail with the dealerships but I haven't been able to bounce each of the configurations off each dealer, hence wanting to post my questions here.

1) Is AFS separate from ELEV for both 2014 and 2015? A 2014 I like has AFS and ELEV and a 2015 has only ELEV.
    2) Most cars have the backup camera but one that I really like doesn't have front or rear parking sensors. Deal breaker?
    3) The CF underdoor cover really changes the line on the car, not in a good way to me. It does not appear to be a very common option. Is there a general opinion on this? Something you get used to?
    4) Regarding the seat adjuster for the optional race seats (SRSC, RSCG) does it only recline? And that on the std seat it raises and lowers but doesn't recline?
    5) Is there a std mounting location for the fire extinguisher?
    6) Some cars have the CERS carbon fiber option, some do not. Where exactly are these rear aerodynamic fins for $2024?
    7) What material is the upper zone made of? Do you only get alcantara with UALZ? Both 2014 and 2015?
    8) Is it difficult to find a replacement heat insulating windshield? Is it way more expensive than std?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    AFS is mandatory for lifter so every car with a lifter will have afs. I’ve yet to see a car that specced AFS exclusively although it is possible.

I personally mandate rear view camera but that’s up to you. There are aftermarket solutions but they can be a bit janky, especially with the guidance lines.

Most people do not like the carbon under door panel. It’s also like a $10K option so quite rare.

Carbon aero fins are the 3 flaps on the rear diffuser that deploy at certain speed. They are painted body color otherwise.

Standard fabric is the Kevlar type material that you see all over the cabin.

red308 likes this.
  3. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    How rare is it to find a car with factory worker signatures on the engine bay covers?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Rare but not sure it’s all that valuable or desirable. It’s a meh option from what I’ve read.

Il Co-Pilota and red308 like this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    some people like chocolate, some like vanilla. i wld rather have a car without the signatures. some people like having one with. dont think it adds or detracts a dollar value.

SoCal to az likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    For me this would be a dealbreaker. Sure, a Luca signature or perhaps a Kimi Raikonen sig had he for some odd reason tested that very car on Fiorano, sure, good stuff. But a bunch of "random" names plastered all over the engine bay? Heck no.

Solid State and twist-a-grip like this.
  7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Like I said - most people don’t care. It’s a meh option.

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh if i found a perfect spec car (for me argento/no stripe) id look past it.

PJxxx and SoCal to az like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed. I just did the writeup as an example of how something like those signatures would work for some of us.

SoCal to az likes this.
  10. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    The Argento no stripe is a fantastic combination. Still looking for an example.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I've seen black and red ones. Were there ever any AN w/o stripe ordered?

12. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    Saw one for sale six months ago but it was picked up quickly.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Interesting that two members in this thread alone said stripeless argento is their dream spec. My dealership had that exact combo with only 1900 miles and it sat for almost 400 days in inventory before it found a buyer.

Highlights how everyone’s tastes can differ.

OP, if you like the signatures, get it. It’s a very rare option so the opportunity to get one is uncommon.

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Cple thoughts- 1) the time it sat was a reflection of the ask price. 2)for me the last thing I need is another low mile car… I’ve also noticed for me, for a car to make it into my stable today it really needs to be something special, something im willing to spend money on in terms of storage, servicing etc.… And the brutal reality is I’d be better off selling a lot of my smaller cars and getting an F50 and a Laf but I really do love each of my current cars like a kid.

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’ve thought about consolidating as well - selling a bunch for a halo car like the F50 or F40. But likewise, it’s nice to have different strokes for different occasions.

Regarding the specs discussed, it’s all personal. I didn’t need a lot of options - it’s a race car. No lift for me is fine. Don’t have rearview camera. Didn’t have a lot of CF, so I added some (easy to do). I just wanted a white one.
    It is a helluva fun to drive!

Sent from my 16M

16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    That's not me. I used this picture as my title. Look at that cracker that sold me the car.:D:D:D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

PJxxx likes this.
  17. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    That’s exactly the car I was referring to. Congrats on owning such a beautiful vehicle. I’ve only ever seen two stripeless silver Speciale. The other one is also owned by an active Ferrarichat member located in washington state.

18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    You would think he would be frowning, letting such a beautiful ride go:D

19. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I visit Rich and Co often and saw that car many times. If I could afford a Speciale, it would have been mine. Well bought!

20. Finalspeed

Finalspeed Rookie

Aug 9, 2005
    Agreed! Looks Really bad IMO. Takes away from the beautiful engine bay.