New GPF = worse exhaust note on new Ferraris? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

New GPF = worse exhaust note on new Ferraris?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RayJohns, Jun 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Just outstanding to see the fat displacement printed right there. Even more impressed with the 396 cubic inches. Everyone knows that 396 is nearly 390 more than 6.5! :)

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Agree but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they already have experts that are very well versed in the problem. That's one of the great benefits of being so integral with racing. You have lots of parallel developments, novel solutions and lessons learned.

3. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Here is the solution as used on the F8 Tributo to enhance the engine sound as perceived by the driver, it's called the "hot tube". This is a deal breaker to me:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and Bundy like this.
  4. TheMagician

TheMagician Rookie

Oct 25, 2018
    Czech Republic
    yes, they have mentioned that they will amplify mechanically the sound of the engine as the regulations with noise levels are now stricter. Cars will be quieter on the outside and they somehow should keep sound for the inside. That thing does work but I as well do not want a car with something like this.

tekaefixe likes this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I don’t see a problem bringing natural sound closer to cabin, akin to reducing sound barriers, etc.
    I draw the line with artificial sounds out of speakers...that is a manufacturer pissing in your ear and telling you it is raining.

wrs, Thecadster, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  6. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    From my understanding the Pista has something similar to this as well.

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Deal breaker for me too at the moment. M5 has this piping in of the engine sound. Sounds lame on the outside, marginally better on the inside.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The M5 uses the speakers to generate fake engine sound. Totally different thing.

LMH likes this.
  9. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Fake sound or not, I love my M5. It’s a performance bargain.

Caeruleus11 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  10. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    True it's different technology but the F8's solution is the first step towards a system like BMW's Active Sound Design.

Whether Active Sound Design is truly "fake" or engineered is still a matter of debate. IMO it's semantics. The engine note is a genuine production from the engine. Active Sound amplifies the engine sound and play it back via the speaker.

Either way it's still a deal breaker for me and a far cry from the NA wail of my 458 Spider, 991 GT3 and Huracan.

Out of curiosity, how many Ferrari's/ exotics have you owned?

BMW Press Release

Active Sound Design delivers precise feedback.

M5 drivers will be given an even more direct reminder of their car’s performance capability by technology that brings the distinctive sound of the high-performance V8 – in all its glory – into the cabin of the new BMW M5. The Active Sound Design technology specially developed for the new BMW M5 takes its cues from the driving situation at any one time to deliver an accurate reproduction of the engine’s sound through the car’s audio system. The system’s digital signal processing exchanges data directly with the engine management, allowing it to reflect the engine’s revs and torque, and the car’s speed over the road. The result over a smoothly driven journey is a discreet soundtrack in keeping with the harmonious and assured characteristics of the V8 powerplant. A stamp on the accelerator, meanwhile, prompts an immediate audible response to match the instantaneous – and typically M – burst of power from beneath the bonnet.

In generating its signals, Active Sound Design takes its cues from the firing sequence of the eight-cylinder engine and the frequency range of the exhaust system. This gives the driver an extremely accurate impression of current engine load and an even more intense sensation of the V8’s high-performance characteristics. At the same time the Active Sound Design control unit ensures an even spread of sound across all five seats of the new BMW M5, while observing the legal guidelines governing noise emissions inside and outside the car. The characteristics of the sound produced by the technology also adjust to the engine settings selected by the driver. For example, switching to “Sport” or “Sport+” mode sharpens not only the engine’s responsiveness but also the acoustic experience inside the car.

But, the good news is that we've confirmed with BMW Germany that it's a live amplification of the S55 engine's natural sounds. There is no artificially generated sound or pre-recorded track being played. This sound amplification takes place through the stereo speakers."

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think the 458 has something similar. I complained to my mechanic that the 458 sound seemed too "surround sound" to me- so he suggested we just make the exhaust louder. It worked! :)

I don't think its so bad to pipe the sound in via just a tube, but a reproduction via speakers is too far for me.

12. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I have Akrapovic on my 458. I love my car!

I don’t think Ferrari will ever make another V8 that sounds this good anymore.

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I can tell you with 100% certainly as an owner that the M5C is far louder on the outside than the inside. I actually get surprised the exhaust is allowed to be as loud as it is when I go under an overpass and can actually hear the resonance.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    I spoke with to a few contacts that work at different exhaust manufacturers and it is pretty difficult to find a solution for the GPF filter. With the information that is available currently we can only treat and think of the GPF to something similar like a Catalytic Converter. Meaning as of right now there are three ways that we can approach this issue.
    1. You can modify everything from the GPF-back, essentially creating a GPF-back exhaust system. This is the easiest solution but there is no way to get that Ferrari Sound everyone loves. Tubi Italy is preparing GPF-back exhausts that will not trigger a CEL currently, while trying to guarantee the best achievable sound and performance. Obviously, most of the applications are now Turbo, which means low energy exhaust gas, meaning it is not possible to hear the ROAR of a naturally aspired Ferrari that we all have learned to love.
    2. You substitute the GPF with a Race equivalent component that will not trigger the CEL (or a physical emulator). This is the most difficult solution because it will require more engineering and testing to see what the thresholds are. We are also preparing the usual the by-pass pipes, that it will trigger a CEL but as soon as the technology for a race GPF or physical GPF emulator is available, we will use it to make a race GPF product.
    I know it's not much information but I'm sure whoever comes up with something for the GPF will create waves in this new market.

15. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I put a Dinan exhaust on mine and that made it sound better but I thought it fairly lame that they piped the sound in. I felt that it is more a fast luxury car than a luxurious fast car. In that regard it should be quiet on the inside but with some throat outside. The throat wasn't there until I added the Dinan exhaust. The competition pack has the throat. I bought mine new in 2013 and there was no competition pack. I liked the car but it had too many mechanical issues and I let it go after only 18 months.

On my 488 I fully enjoy the sound with the Tubi straight pipe I added. I can hear plenty in the cabin with the windows up, no need to pipe anything in. I can also lower the rear window and listen to the engine that way. Of course top down is the best sound experience of all given it's a 488.

16. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I am having second thoughts on upgrading to the F8 until I test drive one. With my 458 and 488, I have disconnected the valves and the sound is very satisfying. I just do not want to give that up. It is very hard to believe the great sound reviews of the F8 as some of the reviewers are writing as I feel that if they criticize, they loose Ferrari favor and future invites.

MANDALAY and Melvok like this.
  17. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Agreed but also putting myself in their shoes - flying into Maranello, getting to visit the sacred grounds, get on Fiorano, drive the newest ME V8 Ferrari in the hills nearby. Stuff of dreams, so hard to fault them. My reviews would probably be pretty glowing!

Eager to hear the F8 in person, and if possible next to 488 or Pista for GPF impact

18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    There's not much to hear.

Melvok likes this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The 488 GTB also has it , I can see it in the parts catalogue

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Admittedly only reving but the F8 did sound louder than my 488GTB. But as stated above best when they have a demo at the dealership to drive.

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So do all or most all modern Ferraris. Use the parts fiche and check it out. In one form or another they are the rule rather than the exception - NA cars included. Guaranteed on any ICE car going forward until full electric. I think on those Ferrari will engineer (or spec as they do not produce the motors) some kind of mechanical sound or unique vibration to give it the Ferrari touch. Otherwise there will be nothing to discriminate among the competition but the badge on the nose.

22. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I wonder how sound will be made great in the F8 spider. Thoughts ?

23. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    do us 2020 pista have GPF and 2019 do not?

24. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No GPF on 2020 Pistas that I've seen in the US.

25. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    My Pista is stage 90 (en route by ship) so I think it must be a MY2020. I’ve been assured by FNA and my dealer that it does not have GPF. I don’t know if this will be the case for examples delivered after January 1, 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk