Extremely disappointed by 360 brakes on the track | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Extremely disappointed by 360 brakes on the track

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by fotostars, Dec 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Had a similar problem with my F355. When stopping from high speeds (say 150 MPH after a long straight and brakes were dead cold--not a race track) the pads would go from cold to instantly hot with diminished grip. I even had a "I had to leave the tack now" event at TWS in T2 because of this on fresh fluid.

The answer is pads, I went with Ferodo DS2500 pads and these things work really well at race tracks, even for 70 minute stints in 106ºF Texas summer weather. I can get the rotors battleship grey and roast weenies through the wheel spokes after a hot session without any brake fade.

Fresh fluid and pads designed for race track use.

Also note: R-compound tires will add heat to the rotors and pads, slicks even more so, so if you up-tire the car, you have to uprate the pads and sometimes the air flow, and lastly the rotors. This is one reason I stick with street tires.....

Dogdish likes this.
  2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Must be your pads. I have tracked my 360 at Laguna Seca and never had braking problems, even with OEM brakes, although most of my recent runs have been with StopTech aero rotors (stock size, drilled) and StopTech sport pads, Motul 600 fluid. I run decent times, but it is a Ferrari, not a track car, so I don’t keep accelerating too much downhill into T2 (hairpin) after cresting the front straight. If you keep on accelerating well into the downhill portion, that will improve your lap times, but put the most stress on the brakes. Even still, I’ve never experienced the braking issues described by the OP. If I had to guess, the prior owner put low dust pads in the car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

jcurry likes this.
  3. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    1st time I tracked my 360, it had new brakes (pads and discs). It was terrible. My instructor was yelling, "brake, brake" on the straightaway. Well, I was.
    Pass forward a few years later, tracked it again, big difference! I guess brakes need to be broken in (just an observation).