Mini race in qualifying on Saturday | FerrariChat

Mini race in qualifying on Saturday

Discussion in 'F1' started by 444sp, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    F1 teams agreed for a mini race in qualifying on Saturday.
    Ahead of a planned major overhaul of F1’s rules coming for 2021, Formula One owners Liberty Media want to evaluate different ideas – including Saturday qualifying races – at a number of grands prix next season to see if they could be introduced permanently.

Formula One Managing Director of Motorsports and technical director Ross Brawn believes that the only way the sport could ensure that changes would be better would be to try them out during the next season.
    “I would like to see us in 2020 try a few things,” Ross Brawn recently told Sky. “I think in 2020 we have a stable platform with the cars and things aren’t changing that much, and I think 2020 could be a good opportunity at one or two races to try some variations. I don’t see any other way that we logically progress the race format. I think the basic race format is good, but would a sprint race be interesting or some variation in qualifying be interesting?”

According to the Italian daily newspaper dedicated to coverage of various sports ‘La Gazzetta dello Sport’, Scuderia Ferrari confirmed that all Formula 1 teams including Ferrari agreed for a mini race in qualifying on Saturday that will determine the grid for the Sunday race: “All teams have said yes, including us. So in 2020 it will be done.” – Scuderia Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto is quoted as saying.

http://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-confirm-all-teams-agree-for-a-mini-race-in-qualifying-on-saturday-next-season/?fbclid=IwAR3qSxhC2lA9HuoZy-PENURacMHaqiVSHhaVDzshTmOa-ueEE50oiiIbrDQ

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Fine and dandy, but a "qualifying race" would mean a grid. How will they determine that grid ?

3. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    By playing Russian roulette...

:D:D:D

Senna1994, VPX and daytona355 like this.
  4. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    it would be great inverted grid by championship positions.

VPX likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hummmm .. good, and what about the first race ?

Senna1994 likes this.
  6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Grid set by fastest lap in P3? Doesn’t matter when during the session, just the fastest one you put on the board. By P3 most teams aren’t testing any more and are basically in Quali set up. (I might be missing something, but it’s a thought...)

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I like the idea of a qualifying race on saturday to determine the grid on Sunday.
    In fact I would agree more changes to the present format that becomes stale.
    I hope points would be awarded for the qualifying race too.

8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    And what about engine allowances and the like. And tyres? They will screw their engines in these mini races and be out of the main event, or penalised grid places

Waste of time unless they relax these dumbass rules

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Bas, kylec and fil like this.
  9. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Not a fan of qualifying races or inverted grids. IndyCar tried double headers a few years back. I think the format makes the first race extra cautious.

Inverted grids just don't seem like they should have a place in F1. I really don't like them in F2, either. Back when I was a kid...it seemed like the talent (and the best prepared teams) would dominate. I don't see anything wrong with that.

On the other hand, I miss the glamour of the grid girls, and less crowded pre-race grids with celebrities I'm not interested in watching.

lorenzobandini, daytona355 and fil like this.
  10. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This.

daytona355 likes this.
  11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ScuderiaRossa likes this.
  12. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Kyvat wins

Sharknose and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  13. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Thinking out loud here, imagine a williams on pole position...1st laps already tends to be messy, imagine with an absurd rate of overtakes...

lorenzobandini, fil and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  14. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    So, there's a certain kind of sanctity (I think) about having the one and only race on Sunday, its THE race. We don't need a preview race, a mini race, a practice race, a warm up race, or whatever ridiculous marketing term F1 and the FIA are going to come up with to justify spicing up the show by adding more variability and complexity. The fact that all the teams agreed to this is a clear indicator of how much F1 has lost its way. This is right up there with reverse grids and artificial rain...

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Worse, imagine Stroll on pole position!!!!

Nortonious likes this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    They are ****ing f.1, just stop it!!!

17. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Nah, there are worse cars and drivers. Imagine Grosjean on Pole!

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  18. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Maybe they should consider having three stages that award points during the first two thirds of the season with the final third of the season being an elimination run off until a champion is crowned! That should pack in the fans and keep us glued to the TV.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Races I’ve enjoyed the most where the ones red flagged and then restarted. Why not do two races on a Sunday and keep qualifying?

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    :D

Yee-haw!

And when them ol’ boys wreck they can say, “It wuzz jiss wunna them raycin’ deeulz.” in various accents.......

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Worth trying perhaps ?

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I like the idea of 2 short races, each counting for points, instead of a long one.
    We could do away with the mandatory tyre change, and have 2 sprint races (50 mins each).
    It would be more entertaining than the present system with strategy calls, tyre management, "lift-and-coast", etc
    The public would be treated with 2 starts, 2 flat-out races, 2 victory parades, 2 prize giving ceremonies, etc ...

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Very often, if we want to progress, we have to shove traditions aside.
    F1 is suffering from a shrinking audience, the fizz is gone flat, so maybe the FIA and Liberty have to be a bit inventive to revive interest.
    The GP format has to change, IMO.

vinuneuro likes this.
  24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I believe it was intended as sarcasm. That is the format currently used by NASCAR.....:rolleyes:

trumpet77 likes this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    But it may work in F1, who knows ?