430 - LUCKY STRIKE: BOUGHT A GEARBOX FOR $50 | FerrariChat

430 LUCKY STRIKE: BOUGHT A GEARBOX FOR $50

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Sep 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#1 24000rpm, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    now I bought this ruined gearbox for $50. congratulations myself. good platform for learning.

It seems the e-differential hydraulic system has a problem and subsequently damaged it.

I am not an expert but I seem to now understand that how the e-diff work. It is more of a H(ydraulic)-diff in my opinion , than an E-diff as it is hydrauliclly controlled, just like the throw out bearing

I have a hard time understanding why half the rollers comes off, see next pics

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm 360 Canuck, imahorse and E60 M5 like this.
  2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Well, the aluminum is easily worth that much in scrap. So, have fun learning.

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Attached Files:

E60 M5 likes this.
  6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Pump failure?

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

why a failed f1 pump to cause leaking ATF inside the gearbox?

9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Mis read the post, sorry. Haven't had my first cup of coffee yet :confused:

24000rpm likes this.
  10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Can you get a pic looking straight down. Would be worthwhile knowing the offset of the gear. Offset was a big part of the discussion on type of gear oil to use (i.e. GL-4/Gl-5).

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

um.... which gear? differential ?

12. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    the one that is in my post quote;) (yes, differential). TIA

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

you mean after the removal of the pinion gear and take a pic of it from gearside down?

14. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    in the picture in post #4, how far is the hypoid gear axis offset from the main shaft centerline

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

you are talking bout this offset, right?

16. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

but from my understanding , that's not the distance from main shaft centerline to the pinion gear centerline.
    its more like axle shaft centerline to the pinion gear centerline. I am a little confused

18. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    More likely me. Must not be viewing the pic correctly.

19. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Its amazing that the gears has only an input shaft and an output shaft with counter shaft's functionalities shared on those input/output shafts. I've never seen any manual transmission like this (forks on both shafts!). But I didn't have too many gearboxes opened, to be honest. A,B,C,D,E,F are all fixed gears and they rotates together with the shaft all the time. Usually there's a dedicated lay shaft that has fixed gears and only fixed gears.

Is it probably because the output shaft and the input shaft faces the same direction? Or is it because of spatial constraints? Or for the sake of saving weight?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

all gears looks good, except this. It is missing a tip. Is this a big deal? useable? Or am I expecting to see something like this even if I open up my own car's gearbox?

21. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Interesting pics. I cant answer your question on the chipped tooth, its doesnt look to bad to me but does all that pull out of the box together like that

22. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ha? you mean its not uncommon to see those chipped tooth when pulled out?

23. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Haha well i didnt say that. Im just saying that chip did nt look that bad. The picture might show it bigger than what it is too. Either way I don't know if that would have an effect on anything like a gear whine or not. Somebody with good experience on these things might come in.

24. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the whole process of removing the gear sets from the shell. Note that my terminologies aren't necessarily correct. I am a newbie for gearboxes. I just want to show u poeple what's involved and whats inside of these machines, for a reference maybe.

First, remove the rear cover, picture not shown ,just a bunch of bolts and pry it off.
    1st pic is what you see after remove the rear cover. What I have in hand is a positioning or securing device for the sleeve.
    2nd pic , what im doing is to remove the pin that holds the reverse fork to the control rod.
    3rd pic, now the reverse fork and the sleeve removed.
    4th pic, idler gear removed
    5th pic, now it looks like this
    6th pic, there's a circlip that need to be removed before removing the reverse gears.
    7th pic, remove the plate
    8th pic, now to remove the reverse gear
    9th pic, removed!
    10th pic, now it looks like this
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

kes7u and LorenzoR like this.
  25. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

awesome,,,looks like theres now a second cover to come off