355 - 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find | Page 8 | FerrariChat

355 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Aug 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Clearly we mean the same thing. But, fine, “most discerning” works too. Good choice of words.

2. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Agreed. The deepest dive into this was done by user FLATOUTRACING many years ago.

I love all 355's but if you think improvements weren't quietly made throughout its lifecycle then you're just kidding yourself. Headers, valve guides and other items are well-known to be improved toward 1998-99. Hell the WSM even has a separate section for 1999 model year brakes (and this is not the Teves/Bosch change). This is not to say the Italian way of building cars back then was not without quirks--it is very possible NOS parts were found from older model years and used in later cars. But this does not negate the fact that certain parts were improved over the years.

3. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    1000% agree. Any shop, not just one. I own a small shop and make it a point to operate in a different manner. I am by no means an expert on anything, but I do know that people do unnecessary surgery, repairs and purchases all the time due to undue influence. When it breaks, fix it. A leak is a puddle on the ground and fluid running out. A weep is just an annoyance. Can weep for 100 years. Nothing is “perfect” forever. And expediting perfection all the time is a bigger flaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShineKen and NMF1 like this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Great point.

I have a 95 B, which seems to be notorious for valve guide issues on a decent percentage of cars. When I called Fast Cars for a quote on engine out and valve guides, I insisted on getting the guides done at the same time because it was only $3k more (in my case). He said, "Let me check your car thoroughly, you might not need guides done." I said, "I just want to get it done, even if I don't need to just because it is an opportunity to do it while the engine is out and the car has never had guides done." My reasoning, come time to sell the car first question asked is "are the guides done?"

So even if my car doesn't have an issue, I'm gonna do it just to protect value of the car.

Back to cost of a valve "guide" job. Of the two places I checked, they said valves (not guides) don't need to be replaced if they are measured within spec. Even if a new valve is ordered, they will still need to measure it. I'm not an expert in head builds, but if they are comfortable with that and are still willing to warranty their work, then I'm fine with it. If you opt to change out all valves (40 pieces) that's going to drive up rebuild costs significantly. I believe valves are $80-100 each.

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    360 sticks are also hard to find.

Robb

6. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    There's a nice, low miles, '95 F355GTS on eBay at the moment on the East Coast.

7. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    FYI, from the F355 Registry data, ONLY 45 '95 (OBD 1) GTS's in the US. I have one of them.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  8. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    is it red or yellow?

9. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    would u pic a 95 or the other years?

10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Been for sale a while.

Car is priced at 99,500 and has needs. It’s an estate sale car.

Eyebrow raised....

Love the color though. Same as my 360.

Robb

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  11. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    yes checked it out it needs buttons redone and not a very clean car and way way overpriced ,probably needs some work too so needs to be bought right,theres a 95 yellow b very nice looks to be clean miles a bit high 35k full eng rebuild priced low 80s ,im in no hurry want the best one for a fair price

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    They are all just used cars and priced accordingly. Low mileage, good condition brings a high ask. Higher mileage, lower condition, lower ask. And some will price unrealistically. No different than a BMW or Audi.

JPMD and blkdiablo33 like this.
  13. bullmrkt.ian

bullmrkt.ian Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    Ian
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Interisting, my 348 is Rosso Corsa and its not whats on that car, it says its Rosso Corsa. I know there are a few different shades of it.... but that 355 has more black in it than any other red 3xx I ever saw. Could be the camera but I don't think so many horrible car pics out here with old cell phones that aren't that black.

15. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Look rough as guts that car. And it has to be Rosso Barchetta in colour. Can see many items that need addressing on that car.

16. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  17. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Needs to be bought right poss many surprises priced way high to even make an offer

18. bullmrkt.ian

bullmrkt.ian Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    Ian
  19. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Spend $50k more and buy something with real upside, rarity and providence :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOKE and eyeman1234 like this.
  20. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Maybe it's just me?
    I'm always fascinated when somebody posts a link to a car, I quickly flip through the pictures and go "nice car", needs stickies and a paint correction, like they ALL do...
    ... then I come back here and everybody says the car is totally trashed, probably needs $50k put in to it at minimum probably should be scrapped lol
    I have very, very high standards, but I'm totally okay with bringing a car up to those standards. Still, I will be very hesitant to ever list my car for sale here LOL and people wonder why 355 values never took off like the 993 TT

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Like what, do tell.

22. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    He must mean a Challenge car... :D

Robb

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ohhh veery nice... Yes...

24. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
  25. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Just needs to be bought right may have 10/20 k in surprise needed repairs it’s a nice example but needs love