Ceramic coatings | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ceramic coatings

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2Veloce, Oct 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    One look at a properly applied Ceramic coated car and you will never own a car without it.Same applies to PPF.

Chizz and elt360 like this.
  2. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Put halo on the ppf and csl on the rest I had this on my first 458 spider, I always apply ceramic coat myself and its so easy to do and the paint is so soft it takes nothing to correct it, I use a d/a with a mf finishing pad and 3800 paste, they charge a fortune to do it and they never take as much care as you will on your pride and joy

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Now I have full pff so halo only
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have my cars PPFed and coated on top of the PPF and I've had them get dirty/ rained on/ and taken a few days to clean them off- no water spots.

Bundy likes this.
  5. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I share your enthusiasm for ceramic coating. I will say that CeramicPro is heavily marketing driven with the amount of layers they put on. Adding extra layers is almost entirely just pure profit for little benefit. The point of the additional layers is actually to just make sure you don’t miss any spots that may have got wiped off when applying the first layer.

I would suggest trying other brands too just for curiosity’s sake. I have two cars with ceramic pro (one silver, one gold), one with Gtechniq Crystal Ultra, and one with Cquartz Finest. I’m most impressed with the Gtechniq, although the differences aren’t that big.

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    There are a ton of videos describing water spotting tendencies with ceramic coatings. Coating manufacturers also make water spot products specifically for use with their coatings. Our regional top shop has specifically warned me off of ceramic because I am on well water. Around here they can charge $2500 (varies some) for ceramic coatings so profit is extreme. The other thing that bothers me is the vast number of coatings out there and even a single product has many versions. They list the latest and greatest as the "best". Just seems like semi-permanent coatings are too much voodoo at this time.

Here's the last video I watched showing water spots on ceramic. The shops around have a water spot disclaimer. You typically cannot polish ceramic yet a sealer with wax is just a buff back to perfection. Saying there are no downsides to ceramic is not consistent with the data available. I am not trying to change anyone's mind. If you are concidering doing it then at least do the research to make the best decision.

7. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Do you mean $2500 including a full paint correction and then ceramic? Ceramic coating comes in a bottle usually either 15 or 30ml. Costs anywhere from 75 to about $350 for top of the line Kamikazee Zipang Coat. Drip it on to an applicator and wipe onto the car, then wipe off with a towel. Takes an hour for a coat. Some products can be layered so you can do two coats some only allow one. If someone is charging 2500 just for that it would be a crime. Car has to be corrected first of course so 2500 for a correction and ceramic is about right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Then there are criminals about! It is what it is. Some would say the same about $500k for a production Ferrari. Its all relative and this hobby comes at a cost. Not interested in ceramics at this time and would shy away from a car with it but that's just me.

9. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I think some of this is placebo. I have friends that have it and say it's not bid deal. Many of this may depend on color. But in reality if you aren't driving the car more than 3k a year might not be needed. A good wax goes a long way.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ceramic is a scam and it defies rule number 1 of detailing - always treat the paint with the least abrasive formula you can find. ceramic needs to be wet sanded to be removed. if you are gonna use ceramic put it on ppf and not the paint. the only situation i wld put it directly on the paint is for a car thats 5 to 10 yrs old and has lived outside. ceramic cld be the last stretch before you decide to repaint. putting ceramic on the paint of a garage queens makes absolutely no sense as the ceramic's value is protecting from the elements.

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My formula is basically PPF ( XPEL ) followed by CQuartz Finest.

Use Snow shampoo with a Karcher , rinse. Then blow dry.

But I also use filtered water ( ZERO water spots )

Less you touch the car the better.