Thoughts On Pagani | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Thoughts On Pagani

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Rossocorsa1, Nov 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    You tried. :)

Pagani's are 'fast enough' for 99% percent of buyers and all know what they are buying. I don't think a Pagani is a first supercar for anyone, the same way a Patek Philippe 5074p is not anyone's first watch.
    And anyone who thinks Pagani doesn't know how to build a fast car is ..... Is it the very fastest? No. SO WHAT!!! Chris Harris said we are at a point where we are just going down a rabbit hole of speed and horsepower numbers. Totally useless for anyone but professional racers on a track.

Pawilly and roma1280 like this.
  2. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Horacio Pagani learned from De Tomaso and his Pantera with 7,000 sold over a 20 year run. The argument about not having their own engine has always been dumb and not only for the reasons you stated above. Today, excluding the GM LS V8s and Chysler "Hemi" pushrod engines, most all engines are cookie cutter. Ferrari, Lambo, Ford, BMW, MB, Japanese, etc. Todays cookie cutter engines are just a single cylinder with a 4 valve DOHC grouped as 3,4,5,6,8,10,12, etc. block. All the intake manifolds have a plenum and the exhaust manifold is either an iron casting or welded tubes. The Ferrari V8 and Boxer from 45 years ago shared parts. 55 years ago the ASA 4 cylinder was a Colombo Ferrari 250 engine sliced down the middle with 2 cylinder lopped off. Same rods, pistons, liners, bearings, cams, etc. Ferrari would not sell an engine to Pagani. That is OK. MB powertrain QA/QC is superior anyways.

3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #53 Rossocorsa1, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Pagani should develop their own engines. He doesn’t, not because he can’t or it costs too much, but because he will then be compared to others who do rather than beautiful automotive art that goes fast and sounds great. A comparison he’ll likely not fair well in. Safe spot. I don’t blame him. He’s an artists and does what he does well.

4. jtr2kwl

jtr2kwl Rookie

May 7, 2009
    #54 jtr2kwl, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    I’d like to comment here as I’m a massive fan of Pagani. I’ve also had the privilege of speaking with @roma1280 on one occasion, and have seen his Gemini Uno many times at car events here in CT – in fact Gemini Uno was the first Pagani I saw in person, and is most certainly my favorite Huayra. I also don’t own a Pagani—nor a Ferrari for that matter—though both are on my list!

TL;DR: Pagani builds an amazing product that their customers love. What difference does it actually make that they're not the fastest, quickest, or lightest, or that they use an engine supplier, when the complete package is fantastic!?

When it comes to Pagani’s—and indeed most cars—i believe in discussion too much emphasis is placed on performance, when in reality the value proposition is in the experience the car provides. Yes, performance is of course a component of experience, but nonetheless, not the entire picture. There is a market for million dollar plus, unique custom cars, and Pagani has provided its interpretation of that market demand through its products. Is a Pagani as powerful as a Laferrari or as quick as a 918…who cares? Pagani provides a unique experience that its customers value, and it seems to me they’re doing a damn good job of it as they clearly have no issue selling their cars. The market called, and Pagani answered. It's the same conversation with a watch. If performance were the only criteria, Apple would have put every manufacturer out of business already. Yet, somehow, there are plenty of unique luxury watch brands that are thriving!

Take Porsche for example. If outright performance were the only consideration, I imagine Porsche would produce the GT2RS exclusively. I’d also argue that if performance were the only consideration, the GT2RS would look very different than it does! Rather, Porsche produces twenty something versions of the 911, all of which to provide a different experience for different customers. Another example: why is a 250 GTO worth $50M+? It has nothing to do with performance, and everything to do with experience, whether ownership, driving, investment experience, or what have you.

When it comes to the proprietary motor discussion, I don’t believe Pagani uses AMG motors out of fear of performance and comparison to other producers should they produce their own. They’ve built a long term partnership with AMG, who provides a motor that is harmonious with the experience Pagani provides. Why would Pagani make such a substantial investment in developing their own motors when they already have a supplier who is willing, able, and proficient in producing motors to Pagani’s specification? It is no different than any other component of the car that is provided by a supplier. You don’t see Pagani (or AMG for that matter) building manufacturing plants for bolts. While Pagani produces automotive art, at the end of the day they are selling a product to customers and running a business. I have no doubt that at some point Pagani considered building motors in-house, and I’m also quite sure that they conducted extensive analysis into the economics and viability of producing motors in-house. Through that analysis they concluded that working with a supplier was the best decision to deliver the product that their customers desired. That business decision is no different than any other component of the car. Pagani doesn't manufacture their own bolts, and they don't manufacture their own raw carbon fiber or resin. The decision had nothing to do with risk of failure.

Obviously Pagani is doing something right. The people who own Pagani’s LOVE their cars. I can tell you, when I buy my Pagani, outright performance won’t be a consideration, and I won’t even blink an eye to comparisons to other cars!

JCR and roma1280 like this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  6. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #57 zstyle, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Pagani is likely taking lesson from Bimota (Vdue) and other manufactures who try to do everything in house. The R&D budget alone could sink the company and they would still be using technology developed by other manufactures.

The engine debate may become a mute point in the future as several countries begin to outlaw gas/petrol engines. I don't see Pagani trying to reinvent the wheel by developing their own electric motors when Magneti, Bosch, or Denso could produce the units.

lineaTesoro, lgs, JCR and 2 others like this.
  7. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Furthermore, I'm certain the future of the automotive industry is more cooperation between the various companies which will be left which means even shared engines between rivals.

randkin likes this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I suppose it depends on what certain owners value most from their ownership experience. I’ll concede, I’m no engine expert. I can’t so much as change a fuse on my cars. Still, they aren’t just beauty to me. While styling is the most important part of why I love my cars, the fact that the engines are uniquely part of the pedigree of the brand is something I find very special. There’s certainly nothing wrong with differing opinions, but to me, it makes for a complete package.

9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Taking this line of thinking farther, does anyone think all car companies introducing their new EVs will all have their own proprietary electric motors, batteries or self-driving systems? I think not, I am going to guess there will be some standardizations on the new tech and smaller companies will license the new tech. The boutique companies will not have nearly the resources to compete in this area. That said boutique car companies may not even chose to compete in the EV market for some time?

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I’m not an expert in this area, but I do believe that a company the size of Pagani will still be able to build cars with combustion engines due to their production numbers, without having to meet the stringent standards that other manufacturers are required to adhere to.

lineaTesoro likes this.
  11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Oh I agree but but at some point in the future - who knows exactly when that may be. Even the boutique companies will want to have an EV just because it is the "new thing" not because it is mandated. IMO

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    New Pagani is coming in 2022, still V12 although a new unit Pagani is working on with AMG.
    Big news though, coming with a proper manual transmission.

13. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    and there is a naturally aspirated track-only Huayra coming. Think Zonda R

14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Zonda. What's old is new again.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Curious if anyone knows what Pagani's plans are for their next models engine? I certainly hope they bring to market their own original power plant. As I've said before, in my opinion, it's always been that one thing that holds the brand back from the others in the ultra exclusive class.

16. Freddyqian

Freddyqian Rookie

Apr 3, 2021
    Though I'm miles away from buying one, but do people just walk in a dealership and order one? Its not like you can buy low end models like Ferrari for credit.

17. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Well this Huayra is in the dealership in Melrose Arch Johannesburg. It looks spectacular. May not show up too well but the nose has green carbon weave. Image Unavailable, Please Login

JCR and saadxj220 like this.
  18. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Great to see Pagani has made it to South Africa. Beautiful country with great people. Haven’t been since 1999, I suspect it has changed a bit.