Ferrari vs Lambo, what is the perception of the owner? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs Lambo, what is the perception of the owner?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by atheyg, Apr 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Y’all should bury the hatchet and refrain from passing stupid comments. I have seen questionable behavior from owners who follow their own marque. Each car has its own positive characteristics and issues.

daytona355 and Boomhauer like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think the Wisdom of John Pogson more relevant then ever.... If you have 60 seconds, I highly recommend this.

LARRYH, VAF84, LightGuy and 4 others like this.
  3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Brilliant! I'm with him. When I'm out for a drive, I frequently wave to other car guys, regardless of make.

Kevin

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    To me cars are like food and music. Sure, I have my favorites, but if somebody thinks Popeye's chicken is better then Chick-fil-a or vice versa, that's totally fine. That's why I really try hard not to judge folks on what make/model they drive. I have a lot of friends that own several Lambo and Ferrari. To me, they are just car enthusiasts, they don't stop at those marques either. They vary in personality and temperament. I know awesome folks that love Lambo, and the worst douches that drive Ferrari. (and vice versa) Make does not make the person.

I don't have any qualms of folks that love Ferrari most (I'm one of them) - but if you're not - it's cool. You like the Rolling Stones, I might like Led Zeppelin. Does that mean you're a hippy and I'm an anarchist? c'mon now.

5. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Hard to fault anyone that loves cars.

6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No. That is really not fine. Now you've gone too far.....;)

Kevin

paulchua likes this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I love high performance cars and everything about the ownership experience. McLaren , Ferrari or Lamborghini ( no u in the name) all manufacture exceptional vehicles with differing aesthetics, driving dynamics and personalities. Unfortunately, there are those who purchase these cars exclusively for the prestige and status they believe will be bestowed upon them, devoid of any interest in driving or enjoying these state of the art creations.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Dead on.

9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Pagani

10. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I say Yankees. All other MLB teams pale in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Do you actually care what anyone thinks about you or what you drive?

12. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not in the least but this thread asked a specific question about the perception of owners...

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Exactly my point. People that have achieved any level of success that are on here, really don't care about some perceived fantasy of what a bunch of folks that are on the outside, looking in perceive of what we are.

Everyone is different. There are jerks that own exotics, and there are jerks that drive station wagons. As well as members of both crews that are super people. To generalize someone based on some perceived mystery about what they drive is ridiculous.

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    J
    IMO thete are different groups of people that are under the big Ferrari umbrella.
    Those that really dont care about cars but are focused upon image.
    Those that are investors/speculators.
    Those that want a racing car.
    Those that like cars with a racing image.
    A dozen mre.

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

A long time ago, Lamborghini did supply engines in F1, can’t remember now the team, but they weren’t exactly great, but it was the 80’s, and they were there.... trouble is, f1 costs so very much to develop cars or engines (and much more now) so we will likely never see it before f1 dies itself now (unless VW finally enter, and pick Lambo as it’s brand for F1)

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Lamborghini successfully raced Diablos in some series in the 90s

daytona355 likes this.
  17. AshAP

AshAP Karting

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ash
    Bugatti Veyron

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

daytona355 and FLORIDAsnakeEyes like this.
  18. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    My useless 2 cents, Lamborghini owners; from what I've seen, are kind of rude and attention whores.

Some of the nicest people I have met are Porsche owners.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Maybe it's a pre/post recession thing because I sort of remember there was a lambo/ferrari thing between owners at one point, but now at car meets it seems like everyone is cool with everyone.

Personally I have vivid memories from my younger years driving minivans and horrid American sedans while envying anyone who had a fun car. Because of that I genuinely love all sports cars and enjoy talking to any car enthusiast from a Miata guy to a guy with a 355.

jehu999 likes this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A Sian of course. Or maybe a Chiron if you're older than 20,

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I will wrap this in as much cotton as I possibly can. There's no denying this is a bit of a thing that can get me going.

I guess my issue has been that those I've known and met who were mostly into the modern Lambos, were people I consider losers. Too many drugs, too much stupidity, too little common sense and class. That has become the image of the current Lambo group for me.

Have I met Ferrari owners I would not be caught dead in a car with, and hate to sit next to at a party? Absolutely. Everything from blowhorns to snobs who are only in it for the marque and not the cars. I've met some of the most arrogant and elitist Porsche owners one can imagine. In their minds, they were the true puritans because the Porsche was the most classic and pure sportscar for everyone.

But fact is that I wouldn't be caught dead in a Lambo these days. I know well there are sensible people with class and manners that drive them - but boy have I met my share of morons in that ownership group. Also, around my neck of the woods, the loud and brash Lambo thing just seems to attract elements you don't feel like being associated with. You are more likely to find a high ranking Hells Angels or other well-to-do shady character in a Lambo or Bentley Bentayga around here, than the same type in a Ferrari or Maserati Levante Trofeo. Not saying all are not driving Ferraris, but Lambos somehow tends to attract more youth, annoying and flashy Youtubers, and shall we say "care-free" people whom tend to not care to much about you and me.

This for me has absolutely ruined the Lambo marque. I adore the old cars and the fun they embody. The Miura is an icon I truly admire. The Espada and Islero are great examples of classic GT cars that work as GT cars. The Countrach LP400S serie II is the perfect blend of lunacy and style, and the Diablo SV is a bit of a teenage icon. But from that point on? No thanks. Don't care for any of it and I think the designs have become as brash and ostentatious as what I perceive their owners as.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    As far as owners, I've had nothing but nice interactions with all of them regardless of marque at car events.

Now as far as the individuals that rent the cars or short-term leases (not "owners" as the thread title states) I have never personally interacted with them. Maybe there's a distinction that needs to be made to not lump everyone together.

Every time I see an article about a McLaren/Ferrari/Lamborghini crash the first thing that comes to mind is someone that rented the thing and it was their first time driving it. Too many of these are out there as rental cars that put out a bad image for those that don't notice it's not a real owner.

23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Very,very true.
    Unfortunately when an accident happens and as you stated, most of the time by a someone who borrowed the car or rented, media never makes the distinction and blames the exotic car owners in general.

24. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Dead on

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    but then again I sure do like that new Huracan EVO.. it is one of the few NA mid engine cars available not a V8 but a V10 .....sounds pretty good.....and did I mention it is NA

daytona355 and BOKE like this.