Avanzo in ... Tipo 26? | FerrariChat

Avanzo in ... Tipo 26?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ketil3, Sep 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ketil3

ketil3 Karting

Apr 2, 2016
    Norvegia
    3500 GT likes this.
  2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    As nobody here on this esteemed Forum seems to have an answer:
    Signora Avanzo in fact drove a Tipo 26 in the later 1920s. The car on the photo is chassis #014, a very early version of this typ due to its upright radiator cowl. The old 1920s/1930s Maserati-logo can be seen on top of the radiator cowl. I have the old registration papers of that car, clearly mentioning Sig. Avanzo as the owner.
    The missing front screen means nothing as this was sometimes changed due to the hight of the driver`s position. Here is another photo of the car with the Lady. Still with no front screen. The wherabouts of this car is unknown today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

TBigs, 3500 GT and Merak1974 like this.
  3. ketil3

ketil3 Karting

Apr 2, 2016
    Norvegia
    Thank you so much. Very kind of you. I am just guessing that the mechanic with goggles could be the 21-year old Bertocchi.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    No, I don`t think so...

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    A few more detailed pictures, give it 8 months and it will be “Found”!

6. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    As always, it’s very much appreciated when our esteemed and held in high regard Maserati historian Walter B. chimes in and tells us what he knows about Maserati history........

Thank you Sir!

7. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8 Nembo1777, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Hello Walter, all,
    The man in the light colored cardigan leather helmet and goggles does resemble Bertocchi but at a later age. Let us not forget this was over 90 years ago. In the 1926 Targa Florio photo I attach (Copyright Ingegnere Alfieri Maserati junior, son of Ernesto) he is the youngest in the bunch, only 19, fourth from right. At far right is the man himself , Alfieri Maserati, leader of the brothers after Carlo passed away and also alas destined for a short life...

On the left in the first photo and the same cropped is the lady driver.

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #9 wbaeumer, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Marc,
    Bertocchi is the 4th person from right! The car is the very first Maserati, chassis #011.

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Signora Avanza is on the left. No idea who the chap on the right is.

3500 GT likes this.
  11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Definitely not! In the late 1920s Maserati re-used their early T26 chassis and build new cars on them with a stronger engine and a new VIN. Unfortunately we don`t know WHICH and/or how much of the older chassis they re-used and converted! So the very first "official" Maserati, the Tipo 26, chassis #011, winner of the Targa Florio in 1926 vanished from earth. Probably some parts, stamped with "11" survived in another, later car!

3500 GT likes this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That is what I wrote dear calm one:rolleyes::)

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Walter, it was a joke meaning that with a few more detailed pictures someone will build replica claiming it was found on a farm where a belt was put on the axle to run an irrigation pump for the fields.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's been quite some time since I've seen any of these old racers ... :( But I see a panoply of modern ones 30 feet from my house almost daily. My neighbor is something of an exotic used car salesman. So lots of Bentley's, Maseratis and even an Aventador (once) are parked outside. But not like the Vintage Maserati racers we saw at Pocono. Walter even went to lunch one day in one of them! Now that was a rare sight.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I beleive the car on the right was the one taken to lunch at that day. Here. https://www.murphysloft.com/

I beleive the car on the right was the one taken to lunch that day??? Here. https://www.murphysloft.com/ Great cheese steak sandwiches and pool out back!