ECU Forgetting? Any suggestions | FerrariChat

ECU Forgetting? Any suggestions

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Sep 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 Ferrarium, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    When I start the car up in the morning the car seems to go though the ECU learning even if I do not dis-connect the battery. The battery reads 13.1V with no draw on it and when car is running the car itself reads 13.7V.

No Codes, no lights no power issues, just seems to have to relearn every day. It seems when the car learns and is warm it is fine the day but in the morning when I start it cold it goes thought learning again. Hard bobble, almost shut off, then revs up and idle gets smoother over minutes till fans come on then its done. Next morning same thing.

Anyone encountered this, any thoughts?:confused:

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Why do you think it is relearning? Could just be a cold start problem. The weather is changing. I've noticed my 2.7 355 starts a little differently in this cooler weather as well.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good question. It was doing it in the summer as well, and in the dead of last NJ winter it fired right up no issues at all. If you've heard the ecu go through relearning, its unmistakable it could be something else yes, but it sounds and takes as long as the learning's. Any attempt to blip the throttle to clear it returns it back into the learning bobble, so that's how it sounds at least.

It has fresh rebuilt injectors, all new relays, new 02 sensor, new therm-ocouples, new crank sensors, new ignition modules, new tps and very clean mafs. I have new coils sitting in a box, let me throw those in and see if that helps?

Could be something else yes, but it "sounds" like ECU learning after long battery disconnect.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I relearn my car frequently because if I put it away for more than a couple of weeks I disconnect the battery. I've never noticed anything special about the relearning process. Whether it relearns or not, it starts, over reves the idle point a little and settles back to the correct RPM. Maybe you have other issues.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 Ferrarium, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Possible John... The 348 TS EM is pre-historic compared to yours. 355 is WAY more advanced and faster EM wise. The 348 TS is even older than the Spider which had an upgrade. When mine relearns it figures out the fuel curve etc at least mine always did you can hear it figuring out too little too much fuel, too little fuel etc till it settles in nice and smooth. Its actually interesting but who knows, maybe its just mine? Any other 348 owners out there?

Could be ignition related and I happen to have new coils no surprise. So I backed the car back into the garage bucking and gurgling as it does when relearning. (had to move it to fix garage door). I swapped the coils with brand new Bosch units, little swab of dielectric for the boot to the coil boss contact area. Interesting it seems better most definitely. So I'll unplug the battery, then have it relearn, then shut it down and see when its cold what happens.

John you may be right, it may be something else, may have always had it but its just getting worse. Fingers crossed.:eek:

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    You most likely have a vacuum leak somewhere

7. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    As said you probably have an underlying issue when cold. I doubt its relearning every time.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Right probably not relearning, that cycle I observe is probably not the ecu, its probably something else that has deteriorated over time as you guys mention.
    It's interesting because the hunting and what not for idle, it sounds like a vacuum issue induced problem and when the engine gets to a certain temp it stops to some secondary bypass or something. But it's definitely not that as I have had every hose off an put new clamps on and inspected every hose and connection. Definitely mimics that though.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Took me over a year to find all my leaks. Took off those exhaust tubes all together. ECU will not work proper unless all is perfect. Smoke test under pressure is your friend finding these

Heres a 355 with new gaskets leaking everywhere for reference, leaking out every shaft, bushing and gasketed surface. These old things warp and leak like a new born.
    99.9% of folks good enough, not for me :)