Finally decided [328 vs 348] | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Finally decided [328 vs 348]

Discussion in '308/328' started by A12pilot, Sep 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Smart move. Owning a 308 since 85 and a 355 since 2013 both are great cars, but as you note, the 3x8 series is a classic. I'll dump my 355 before I part with my 308. The 3x8 series are better cars though they don't have the performance, and personally, better looking too.

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'm 5'11" and have no problem in my 308 GTB. But I like the seat back tilted back a lot though. With it more straight up, as some people like, head room is an issue. Seat back tilt is actually an issue for me in my 355 spider as it is limited due to top storage and operation.

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Even with the seat tilted back, it’s not an ergonomic wonder with many parts of your whole body. I know I know. Charm and wonderful quirks.

I wish that wasn’t the case.

Robb

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm pretty sure when they designed the 308 they told them "Okay, if you want it to look like that, you're gonna have to sit like this" so that's what we got.

pizzadude likes this.
  5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Completely agree that you need to check if it works for you.

I'm 6'0" and fit comfortably (just returned from a 660 mile trip in the car). It all depends on body shape (I am very thin and have long legs).

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yep, high wasted, low wasted, middle wasted, or just plain wasted. The 308 fits me just fine. It's my 355 spider I have problems with. I have to sit too straight up. With 70+ years of slouching on the couch I need the seat to lay back to be comfortable. The 308 perfect for that. I've done 6 or 7 hour tours of NE in my 308 and get out totally comfortable. 2 hours in the 355 and my back gets stiff.

7. Jroe550

Jroe550 Karting

Sep 10, 2015
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Test driving and getting the car checked over by a Ferrari mechanic is key. I would get it checked over before you drive and see it to rule it out or not.
    Ferrari’s can lure you in with their charm when perhaps you should give that one a pass.
    That’s when a neutral opinion comes in. Worth the money.

I’m very happy with my 86, pre abs 328 GTS.
    Love how analog it is. I updated to a Tubi and haven’t looked back. It’s not about how fast it is. It’s the complete experience.
    If you’re teller then 5,8 you will find it a tight - hit your head on the rear view mirror regularly. Lol
    I have a 550 beside it too and I’m easily won over by the 328 for the experience of it all.
    Regardless of the performance difference.

It’s the best, affordable Ferrari if there was one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have had my 89 328 GTS for 20 years, 102 K MIles. I will never sell it . A while back i had a ton of restoration work done on it, including all new gauges and switches, and a completely new suspension system with all OEM parts as well as a brand new AC system along with all lines and fittings and compressor. The list is too long to post. This car will not have a problem reaching 200 k miles. You will be absolutely in love with yours and you can look forward to thousands of miles with ear to ear smiles. im 5 11 and 3/4 along with really small feet, so the car fits me like a glove. Good luck with yours and congrats.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    My only recommendation is to check out colors other than red. Everyone wants a red Ferrari, but the 328 is better (in my opinion) in colors that can really show the curves. This is mine, I've owned it for 17 years and it has 117,000 miles on it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dweintra, Rosey, Cennzo and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    There is a very nice 328 going now in bringatrailer with very low mileage

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Rosey, Cennzo, FrannyB and 1 other person like this.
  12. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I would also say that a Tubi and test pipe will greatly improve the 328 s throttle response and allow the motor to run about 15-20 degrees lower. I had a machinist make me exhaust tip extenders that are a press fit, thats how accurate he is on the CNC , it helps with the exhaust smell when driving with the top off, many would disagree on not running a CAT Converter, but hey, thats how the Euro cars run, and it along with the Tubi really wakes the car up. MY mechanic had a 6k mile 328 in his shop that did not run nearly as good as my car .

13. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I'll also note that steering wheel spacers are available to help with the fit. I really like my wheel with a 1"+ spacer behind it. At 5' - 10.5" I find I fit nicely with the seat just right, but the fuel and temp gauges are behind the wheel rim.

14. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have a sparco milano drivers seat, it works so much better than the factory crappy seats these cars come with, it s the only fault along with too little HP that these cars can be criticized for. If you are going to drive these cars properly, you are going to need lateral support, which the factory seats have none of, its that simple.

Thank you

15. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    I love my 85 EURO 308QV. Its not fast. The A/C blower is weak. But in my opinion its the best looking. Everybody has there own opinion. The differences for me over the 308 euro and the 328 where, the bumpers, no cats, no diaper covering the cats, smaller mirrors. The interior gauges, knobs and levers. The interior and exterior door handles. Both the 308 and 328 gets lots of looks. My second choice would be a 328 over the 355.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 milano, Rosey, BOKE and 2 others like this.
  16. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When I first got my 308 I adjusted the seat for what I assumed was the correct position but I didn't have much headroom and the steering wheel blocked some of the gauges. Then I found out that to press the throttle all the way I had to stretch my foot and use my tip toes. The clutch was a bit of a stretch too. So I had to move my seat forward a notch (or maybe it was two) and rake the seat back to what seemed a ludicrously reclined position and then it all worked great. I had plenty of headroom, all the gauges were centered perfectly and I could stomp that gas pedal all the way to the stop!

Surprisingly I seemed to adapt to it very quickly but getting in and out gracefully, well that took a bit of time to perfect. You have to realize when you are standing next to the car that you are now going to sit down into a position where the top of your head will be lower than where your belt buckle currently is.

17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Thus the 1970 s Formula One / Niki Lauda genome

18. YdeRochefort

YdeRochefort Rookie

Sep 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Yann de Rochefort
    Just bought a 328 GTS two weeks ago. I am 6’ and barely fit, but not in a bad way. 1” more and it wouldn’t work though.

Jroe550 likes this.
  19. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Interesting write-up kcab. I do know that when I first sat in my Gen II Viper GTS it was the same deal. It took a bit to get everything adjusted correctly. In driving a 2016 Ram and several 60s muscle cars, when your down in the weeds, it takes a bit to feel comfortable. Heck... after driving in the Ram and jumping into the wife's 911 it feels like I'm in a go-kart!

Looking forward to getting my butt in that seat!

Cheers
    Dave

20. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Having owned both, I loved my 328 and still do to this day but its night and day having now owned a 348 since 2004. Its a go kart, no doubt about it. The 328's no offense I love them are spongy and even more so with a GTS. I have driven many and they all do. So does the 348ts to some degree, but not so much when compared. Yup more power (not much) better handling (LOTS) and very good AC for the time. Just my opinion for what it's worth...

21. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    very small difference in power between the 328 and 348 and remember the 328 weighs less, I have driven both and I prefer the 328, it's a little more old-school like a classic should be !

I had two 328's, early 1986 which I sold in 2012 and now a low miler 1989 for almost 8 years. Both cars are great, I do appreciate the little updates and different feel of the '88/89 especially the suspension.

I'm 5'10 to 5'10.5 and it fits me like a glove, comfortable with or without targa but I am medium build, I agree at 6 feet it might be slightly uncomfortable driving with the targa - when I wear a cap it touches the top when I sit more upright but if you lean more back there is still plenty of space.

22. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Replace the seats and a 6 ft tall driver would be absolutely fine, the stock seats suck, and they have no support and the leather sucks as well .

Thank you

23. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I should fit in it OK, I’d think. I watched Jay Leno’s Garage and in one episode it was a 308. I was noticing the recline in the seats when they were in the car Driving it around. Guess we’ll see Thursday when I’ll be headed to Ft. Lauderdale to check it out in person. Can’t wait!:cool:

Cheers
    Dave

24. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
  25. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Man....that’s pretty sweet!!! Thank you for posting this. And yes, I’m in the market. Looking at one Thursday!

cheers
    Dave