F8 Tributo.....Last hurrah for the Ferrari V8 ? | FerrariChat

F8 Tributo.....Last hurrah for the Ferrari V8 ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rocketman, Sep 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I get the article and the point, but for me the Ferrari V8 died in 2015 with the extinction of the naturally aspirated 458.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

x z8, anishka, TomC9786 and 13 others like this.
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    But what a way to go!

It’s true, how much different really is the 488’s engine to a a souped up AMG V8 biturbo? Paper thin difference.

3. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Couldn’t agree more and that’s worrying considering we’re talking about Ferrari, a brand whose founder said he built engines, period. The car (everything else) he threw in for free.

The engine is always of paramount importance in any car, but this is particularly true when we talk about Ferrari: it’s its core, soul and essence, more than any other manufacture.

And the fact that Ferrari has to turn to turbos and hybrid systems to contain and comply carbon dioxide emissions at the expense of soul and sound is witnessing a brand carrying on with success, at the expense of its essence and most basic/iconic identity.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

kandi, x z8, Ohanoune and 10 others like this.
  4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    $484888 for base F8 ?:eek:

Sounds more like Pista?:D

edit : just realised its Aus$:oops:

5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Well one has won international engine of the year 3-4 years straight and having driven both (stock) I can assure you the difference is as small as the cars’ appearances. Would be surprised if your experience was otherwise. Ferrari still knows how to build engines first and foremost, even with the current models

Was enjoying Chris Harris’ glowing review on 488 GTB the other day actually and I believe he said Ferrari reinvented the turbo engine with the 3.9L in 2015 (now evolved in F8/Pista). I believe him

True that the way the world is evolving and changing has forced Ferrari along with all other brands to adapt

But I will argue Ferrari is still Ferrari and they beat all other carmakers in terms of turbo application which has become the norm. I’d say subjectively they turned a requirement into quite a bonus is my perception. Hopefully for future regulations/emissions stuff it will be the same, where the magicians in Maranello can still prove why they do it better than anyone else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    SF90 is a twin turbo V8 (with hybrid). And expect to see an SF 90 spider soon.

But maybe we will see a track focused F8 ‘Pista style’ type and Spider.

Ohanoune likes this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed Enzo Ferrari would never have approved such an evil thing as a turbocharged F40 ;)
    For me if some engine has to be worshipped as true Ferrari heritage, it's a V12 - the first V6 and V8 were not even allowed to be badged as Ferrari.
    V6 and V8 have been sensible choices (instead of mystic ones) from the start, and in that logic the latest ones are just the best.
    Hybrid is a different - and probably sad - story because it's not driven by engineering but by politics and ideology.

Caeruleus11, Roland1688 and day355 like this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think u speak for everyone else!

TomC9786, PTG1, soulsea and 1 other person like this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

True! Personally I prefer the sound of the amg though;)

soulsea and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Harris waxed lyrical over the 488 when it was first introduced. Subsequent comments over the next few years were not as laudatory.

11. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Harris is irrelevant - like Instagram followers - only there for attention. Owners know the truth and its an amazing machine in every way.

The world for me ends when all cars are electric unfortunately

stavura and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Ain’t that the truth :( Don’t even get me started!!! :mad:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Shack likes this.
  13. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    #14 soulsea, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Having owned an AMG GTR (and getting the Black Series next year) I can tell you that it is worlds apart from the 488, in fact I can't imagine two V8 bi-turbo vehicles being this different in their driving experience.

The GTR is a brutal and visceral car, the thing has lope like a 69 Chevelle SS, it sounds amazing and is fantastic on street and track, and is much more eventful to get in and drive than a 488. You lttterally start that thing and all hell sensory hell breaks loose.

The 488 is a beautiful car but much more refined, the driving experience is a slightly a more special/exotic version of that of a 911 TTS but not by much, at least not in my experience ... it is however a faster than both the 458 and a GTR, if that sort of thing matters to you. :)

I do however agree that a NA V12 is also quintessentially Ferrari, I'm trying to figure out which pre F12 one is going to be the sweet spot most analogous to the 458, inasmuch as getting a non muted and slightly eccentric but yet reliable experience from it.

As far as the article in the opening post, the truth is that it doesn't really matter if they keep the V8 or not. Just as in F1, moving forward the dead dinosaur motor is going to be a smaller and smaller part of the power unit, until it disappears completely. So no matter how many cylinders the future cars have, they will have a decreasing affect on the car itself.

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I see that all electric is probably the future. It is probably the most efficient solution since it saves weight and offers outstanding torque and instant throttle response.

The next generation of customers will accept this platform as the norm. The sound of the old customers, the ones who criticize and lament the loss of engine music and the vibration from the Ferrari ICE, well their voices will become fewer and fewer, becoming quieter and quieter, eventually becoming as silent and as tranquil as the all-electric Ferrari.

Ohanoune, Dicecal and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes but the digital age retains the glory of the NA ICE indefinitely which will always be used as the standard of the brand from which to be compared. Those that inquire why there is a Cavallino on the car will learn of Enzo and his magnificent engines they can only experience from cars in private collections.

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Piero Ferrari said that his father would be chuffed with the hybrid power-plants as all he cared about was superior performance.

17. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    #18 soulsea, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
  19. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Mmm, that's good fallacy.

There is a smidgen of room between luddite and drinking the marketing kool aid.

That said, nothing wrong with hand cranking one's weiner warmer.

20. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Love the sound of my AMG GTS. Like a big block V8. How come AMG got it right while the stock 488 sounds meh?

Haha Serge pointing out the obvious.

soulsea and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Id think the amg lives in the lower rpm and Is torquier so the engines themselves have a different philosophy. The amg are European’s muscle cars I guess

Surfah likes this.
  22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I am actually quite turned off by the small size of the brake pads of the rear wheels in the amg gtr.

Back to the thread, I am just glad that I didn't sell the 458. I was tempted quite a few times actually. I will look forward to next Ferrari that makes me feel like I must have it. I will just patiently wait.

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    A manual gearbox on such powerful cars is an anachronism that just disrupts the driving process.

24. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    When I had my Speciale, I owned a McLaren 650s at the same time. I often drove them back to back, and it was at that time that my opinion regarding turbocharged engines solidified...in favor of the turbo. Granted, its purely opinion and a matter of personal taste. For me, I enjoy the way a turbo engine develops power and continues to pull, almost exponentially as the revs rise. I can say, without hesitation (pun intended) that my favorite engines have always been turbocharged, and my 488 is at the very top of that list. On reflection, virtually every car I own right now is turbo (Mercedes S560, Porsche 993, TT Ford GT, VW GTI, incoming Pista, Ford F450 Superduty, Ford F150, etc, etc, etc.)

I am expecting a Bentley Continental GT W12 to be here later this fall, also twin turbo. Now that, my friends, is an engine :)

Caeruleus11, Ash Patel and Thecadster like this.