360 - What to look for buying a gated 360 Modena | FerrariChat

360 What to look for buying a gated 360 Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by Michael Weaver, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael Weaver

Sep 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Weaver
    2 Questions, I'm new the Ferrari community so I apologize if these questions are dumb. 1: were there any major changes made to the car from 99 to 04? 2: What belts would need to be changed between 30k and 40k miles?

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Moved to appropriate forum section.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    1. Nothing major like new engine, etc. Mostly minor things like added emissions air pump and more catalytic elements in exhaust to comply with 2000 emissions. Other things revised on the car like suspension arms, variators, engine mounts, etc. to improve reliability of the components.
    2. Timing Belts are changed by mileage difference from last change or time. IIRC 30k miles or 3-5 years. Nobody drives their car above the 30k miles, many wait 5 years between belt changes. Accessory belts like alternator etc are usually changed when the timing belts are changed.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Several minor changes including updated variators, strengthened motor mounts/brackets, timing belt tensioners, precats added to exhaust manifolds w/new lambda sensor locations. Some of these had campaigns from Ferrari where they were updated on the earlier cars.

imahorse likes this.
  5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Read the sticky on buying 360 at top of this section.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Skidkid likes this.
  6. rossyl

rossyl Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Hi there.

Just wondering, would you happen to know which of these, it any, were recalls for the initially launched cars?

Many thanks

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    The variators and motor mount brackets were campaigns, not recalls. A recall has to pose a safety risk.

Skidkid likes this.
  8. rossyl

rossyl Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Thanks.

Just trying to work out what to look for when looking at earlier cars. I.e. what work to make sure was carried out. Thanks

9. Bob H.

Bob H. Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As far as the campaigns are concerned, you can call any dealer and they can look up the VIN to see if there are any campaigns that are still "open", i.e. not completed on that particular car.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Redneck is right, almost no recalls. There was a recall for a battery terminal on some early cars and I think some had a recall over a bolt. Everything else is a campaign, Ferrari offered to fix them but wasn't legally obligated to do so. And 360 + Volt is right, start with the sticky. It will tell you a LOT about the potential issues and what to look out for. You could also search since it is all well documented here. Do some reading and people are glad to help.

11. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    The early 1999 cars had five federal recalls, they can be found on this federal site.
    They are the Ring gear recall, Airbag ECU bolt recall, Instrument Cluster software recall, ABS ecu recall and Brake/Clutch hose recall. Few know about these because they only affected the very early cars, for example the Brake/Clutch recall only affected the first 34 cars shipped to the U.S. (check out the tsb on that one).

On top of these recalls there are a number of campaigns that are hard to determine due to poor documentation. Most have already been talked about above.