308 QV York to Sanden A/C Compressor Conversion? | FerrariChat

308 QV York to Sanden A/C Compressor Conversion?

Discussion in '308/328' started by lou staller, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    As I'm in the midst of changing the timing belts in my 308 QV and have the A/C compressor out of the way I was wondering if anyone replaced the factory York A/C compressor with a Sanden type compressor? I see where there's brackets available to bolt the Sanden compressor to where the York was originally mounted making the change over quite easy. Of course the hose connectors and dryer must be changed but that should be easy also. Does anyone have actual experience in changing their car to a Sanden compressor and R134A?
    Any input would be appreciated. Lou

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    It is more efficient than the York, takes a bit less engine power and has less vibration. It's a fairly common change but if you're doing it to improve the AC performance, it won't unless something is wrong with the York.

3. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    While removing the York compressor to gain access to the front timing belt cover I couldn't believe how big, awkward and heavy the compressor is. It got me thinking about the numerous Sanden compressors I've installed in hot rods and lately a Lotus Esprit with a Buick V8 in it and how compact and light they are. So i did a little research to determine if it's a feasible swap and it turns out it is. As far as improving the a/c performance, that's not a concern. I've had my 308 since 2002 and have never had the air conditioning on or the top on or the windows up! I just like upgraded things so if I do ever want/need to run the a/c it'll be new-ish and perform well, as well as to be expected. Plus I live in southern California so it's not essential except on those crazy hot days, that's when I drive my more modern car!
    I would still like to hear from anyone that has made the change to hear first hand how difficult the swap. is. Thanks,
    Lou

4. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    What ever you do stay with R12. Don't use R134. You must change the condencer to a larger one if you go with r134 and still won't be as cold

5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Good luck getting R12 in California...

7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have a sanden now in my 328 with R134, you have to change all the hoses, the R134 will rot the old hoses. I bought a bracket from Italian car parts that was suppose to be a perfect fit, it was not, my mechanic had a hell of a time modifying it as to get the belts to align . My AC works really good now , low 50s .I was not aware of any kits, I should have done more research, but Charles at Italian car parts sold me the compressor, and the bracket, so I thought I was all set.

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  9. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Mike, that is too funny!
    At this point I'm leaning towards just leaving the compressor off the car completely. As I mentioned, I have never used the a/c nor have I ever missed it. I think I'll pack up the compressor and mounting brackets and put them away for another day, another project. I'll seal the hose connectors and move on. Just the thought of needing to change the hoses are enough to but the brakes on the (almost) project.
    Lou

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Frankly, that's exactly what I'd do if I didn't use the AC - remove the compressor and cap the hoses. No reason to spend money on a new compressor for a system you don't use especially if the original still works. Just pull the comp, store it, and give it to the purchaser when you sell the car! ;)

thorn likes this.