Cancelled Pista Spider Orders | FerrariChat

Cancelled Pista Spider Orders

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scraggy, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    There is no doubt the world is changing and the Spider is no 458SA in terms of investment potential but I must admit (with one in production) I was shocked to hear by a reliable UK source that outright cancellations are picking up quite fast........I also had a friend offered one just last week by Maranello Egham for early 2021.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    A Pista delivery in 2021????

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There are just too many new cars out from too many manufacturers. I know several US dealers wont write checks for pistas. Took 2 yrs for that to happen to tdfs. Too many weak hands buying the new stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree. I’m buying the Pista not for investment purposes but because I like it. But yes- used cars are starting to sound really good with what new ones Msrp is....

DRYHOLE, stavura, Bundy and 3 others like this.
  5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Could be a UK specific thing with Brexit et al

Caeruleus11, mkraft3003 and dustman like this.
  6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Drove my cs for 60 miles. Forgot how point and go it is. So much fun on the backroads.

7. Reiziger

Reiziger Rookie

Aug 22, 2018
    Disneyland
    Given those orders are RHD, does that imply they would likely command a premium only in the UK market? If they arent built yet, could the build slot be changed to LHD for a european customer? Or will they be built regardless RHD and up to the UK dealer to find a buyer?

Hypothetically if there were enough available new, then could we see used Pistas being sold under MSRP in a year or two? That would be an interesting twist, given how well Special Series cars in particular have held their value historically.

8. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    As Shack said, probably a Brexit thing. In the US all allocations are long gone and I understand that most dealers only have a handful of deliveries left to deliver. If there is a cancellation someone should grab it because it’s an amazing car.

Caeruleus11 and Shack like this.
  9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Fully agreed that it’s an amazing car. However, I noticed that Pista allocations were not especially difficult to get. I know a couple of buyers who just owned a 488 GTB as the only Ferrari purchase they’ve made and then received Pista allocation

Also, I’m beginning to suspect that there’s a lot of Pista for sale already. They aren’t listed online, but I’ve entered two dealership showrooms recently and both had several Pista sitting there, but not listed online.

Manda racing likes this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Where are you located? In the US it was a very difficult allocation. Not at all easy to get.

sfcarguy, Katonk, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  11. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I had stopped by my dealer yesterday and can confirm that all US allocations are gone and in fact my dealer had to refund about 10 deposits they had taken last year. They expected more allocations but due to the F8 coming out in 2020, there was no way to get more pista units completed before they start the F8 production. My order went in just before the factory close down in July with Bianco Italia which usually delays production by 2 months but my car is now Red 10 and they expect it to be completed by the end of October/early Novemeber and in the states by December.

My sales manager also confirmed that anyone who got a spider allocation had to decide between the hardtop and convertible and was not allowed to have both of them. As a matter of fact, one client was taking delivery of his PISTA spider and I did ask him this same question if he had to take one or the other, so he took the spider.

12. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Not sure where you are located but In The US they were very difficult to get. I had to pay a premium on mine as I called about 20 dealerships searching for one and was told that the allocations were long gone. I had even posted on here for help finding one.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    You got taken. Was with a guy today who owns 3 ferrari dealerships / his comment regarding the us market: “almost anyone was able to get one...”

14. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    That’s a funny one!!!! See if your friend has a Pista spider allocation available since anyone can buy one.

Katonk, dmark1 and Gh21631 like this.
  15. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    They are amazing cars but Ferrari is making so many of them. It's going to be interesting to see how all this is going to play out when everyone who has a one year do not sell agreement puts them up for sale at the same time. I hope it doesn't for the owners, but my guess is that this is going to play out exactly like the 2RS, where almost everyone (including myself) thought Porsche were going to be judicious with the supply and they just kept making more, and the whole thing fell apart.

I also wonder how all those folks who bought cars they didn't want to get to get a car like the Pista feel about Ferrari changing the game mid stream, first by making so many of them and then adopting the McLaren model by undermining their own track version whilst still in production with an almost identically performing regular series F8.

It's going to be very interesting moving forward for this brand. They diluted the carrot that made people buy the less desirable cars like a bloated Lusso and accept taking a $100k hit year one and pissed off many of the ones who had already done so at the direction of their dealership.

16. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    The Pista was only a 6 month no sell agreement. I think the days of cars holding their value (or appreciating) are over. I’ve gone into every supercar purchase expecting them to depreciate. Some (2 of my 3 McLaren) faster than others. I buy the cars to enjoy and don’t worry about the depreciation. Life’s too short.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I found the pista relatively easy to get. Had 3 dealers in 2 states that I could have ordered from. Ultimately went local and msrp with no Lusso etc purchase needed.

18. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Mind sharing which dealers? I’m sure people on here would love to know for the future. Always good to have options.

IPO1 likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I managed to get an allocation but have several friends who tried hard and were not able to. Our local dealership got 11 coupes and 5 spiders only. Not a lot of cars.

Rrr1 and mkraft3003 like this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Man- that’s new news to me. I’ve experienced the complete opposite with my friends.

F12JAJ likes this.
  21. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    So you’re saying you folks in this thread were able to walk into a dealer with no prior purchase history, and you now have a Pista you spec’d, in your hands, with no other spend needed?

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Id believe ttforce everyday; his car collection speaks for himself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melvok and IloveGT like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    His collection sucks. Does he actually own any real cars?? ;)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

So far from the truth but people love to tell stories.

sfcarguy, PATRIEK and technom3 like this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Not in the US but perhaps in other markets - believe me I tried and I have several friends with Pistas and the same for all.