328 Brake bleeding question | FerrariChat

328 Brake bleeding question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rod, Sep 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    So I decided to bleed the brakes today using my pressurised brake bleeder. set at 10psi.. started with RR all fine, then LR and no fluid came through? moved to RR then RL and all ok.. Disconnected the pressure bleeder and got a mate to pump the brake pedal a few times.. only a very small amount of fluid pushed through..

Jacking the car up and spinning the wheel then hitting the brake and it stops fine then releases normally

I just can't pump any fluid through..

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Thanks all

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Clogged bleeder?

Saabguy and Steve Magnusson like this.
  3. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    The bleed nipple it self?

Saabguy likes this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yes, I'd pull it completely (prepare for fluid leaks) and see if it's internally rusted/corroded - or, if there's debris in there blocking it. If it is, new ones are very inexpesive and I'd replace the other 3 as well.

Rod likes this.
  5. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    If its an ABS model, then its worth bleeding the brakes with ignition on (so ABS pump is on)

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You probably have debris stuck in bleed screw. Fill reservoir to max, get stiff wire smaller than fits in bleeder hole you can access while on the car, put pan under caliper, take bleeder fully off car run wire into caliper while fluid leaks out into pan pretty slowly, poke bleeder with wire from outside to inside and inside to outside of bleeder, then put bleeder back in caliper and it should now bleed properly. Do this is a timely fashion so the fluid does not continue to bleed out the open caliper. An option is to plug the caliper exit with a rubber plug. Option is to poke out bleeder debris followed by compressed air.

Rod and Saabguy like this.
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    There's enough debris in there to clog the bleeder, I'd do a full brake system flush.

8. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    If its an ABS car then you use the ABS pump to do the rears. Ignition on, open the bleed nipple, pedal about half depressed & the pump should do the rest. You can do it in your own, but better with help.

Use the pressure bleeder for the front but I wouldn't put 10PSI into it. It doesn't need a lot to send fluid through the system.

I had a fluid reservoir on a VW burst at around 10-12 PSI once. The Ferrari reservoir is much thicker plastic - but its also 30 years old now.....

9. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks for the info.. I will give this a go over the next few days... thanks

10. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Non ABS car... Thanks for all the tips/advice....