Ferrari vs Lambo, what is the perception of the owner? | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs Lambo, what is the perception of the owner?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by atheyg, Apr 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    or a mechanic "test driving" the car.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Every group has their own set if butt heads. Be it Corvette guys, mustang guys, honda guys or lambo guys. There are butt heads in all of them.
    IMHO the Audi guys are the worst..

ralfabco and daytona355 like this.
  3. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    I’ve run across more than a few Lambo owners whose only apparent level of success is having wealthy parents.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The most uncomfortable car l ever sat in was a Countach. The pedals don’t line up with the seat so you sit at an awkward angle. There is no visibility out the back. Saw a guy open the gullwing door and hang out to see backing up. Looked like a contortionist.

Then l really like to listen to Lambo owners talk about how many races their marque has won. Don’t plan to stay long.

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In my personal experience, I have to wholeheartedly DISAGREE with this! I have owned 3 Porsches. My first one was bought when I was much younger back in 1988, and I've always had one all the way up to approximately 3 years ago.
    I joined the PCA back then, and I only did one or two events. The members were a bunch of pretentious, stuck up snobs!! I've never owned an air cooled Porsche, so apparently, that excluded me from owning a "real Porsche". The guys wouldn't even want to give a "non aircooled guy" the time of day. I have no room in my life for that type of person.
    Once I purchased my first Ferrari in 2012, I was pleasantly surprised at the people that I've met! I have met some of the nicest, non showy, down to earth, and friendly guys that I have met (ever), bar none!
    I have to say that the Ferrari was the BEST car I have ever purchased. Not because of the beauty, performance, sound, fun etc, and all the other obvious perks. It was the best because of all the phenomenal people/fellow owners that I've come across. These people not only became close friends, but I would put them on a family level at this point. There is so much more to a Ferrari than ANY other car that I've owned. BEST PURCHASE EVER!

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would like to add one more thing, just to clarify my experience:
    To be fair, Since that time when I gave up on Porsche club events back in 2001-2002, I have definitely met some really cool Porsche guys, they are not ALL douches by any means. I think the GT series cars changed the type of owner that I have met, from elitist to enthusiast. I get along with any enthusiast, no matter which brand. I also want to add that I really do love Porsches. I still bought them back when I didn't care for the other owners, and will still buy in the future since they are truly great cars. Thankfully, the "typical" buyer/owner seems to be changing nowadays.

daytona355 likes this.
  7. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    I have a 79 911 and I joined PCA for a year. I have to say the people I met seemed decent enough but it seemed like a total lifestyle club. Ive had a few Harleys (back in my single days, no room for girls on one seat Ducati sportbikes) and the PCA crowd seemed very Harley like as far as the club went. Nothing wrong with that but just not my thing.

As far as the Ferrari crowd goes I too could not be more impressed. Im most assuredly on the lower end of the food chain with my nice driver quality 328 but it doesn't seem to deter those with the high dollar cars striking up conversations and sharing their passion for all things Ferrari.

daytona355 and up4speed like this.
  8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Two types of Porsche owners from what I've seen. The type who wave when you drive by and those who don't. The wavers are more likely to drive a classic model and actually know something about the car, the non-wavers are usually in a modern or new car and only know "It's a Porsche!". Agree with above that the Ferrari owners I've met are a good bunch of peeps.

LARRYH and daytona355 like this.
  9. vegasoul

vegasoul Rookie

Apr 26, 2016
    Some of the lambos now will hold the status of Classic Ferrari in the future, I will be buying them now.

Some of the modern Ferrari’s has evolved to suit the aesthetic of the elderly.

Everyone have their own take on the design...we live in a world where Basquiat can be 40m and who am I to tell people what they should like. Objectively I guess if Aliens came to earth and look at a Basquiat vs a lambo, they will argue the civilisation content of the later is much higher.

10. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #285 I'm 360 Canuck, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    One of the differences I think doesn’t get mentioned, is Lambo owners seem to be more open minded to the direction the company takes and are more forward thinking in terms of technology and new market segments.

While many Ferrari owners lament with change and appear sour that Ferrari no longer make only glorified red soap box racers as they did in the 50’s and 60’s, Lambo owners do not seem as hung up on their roots or wish their cars never evolved from decades ago.

there may be many d.bag Lambo owners, but there’s also many grumpy old “hey you kids get away from my car company” Ferrari owners. sometimes our passion and loyalty can lead to tunnel vision. We become like emotionally insecure parents of kindergarteners who never want to see them grow up.

11. Airbus driver

Airbus driver Rookie

Jul 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Timothy D DeZutti
    In reference to your comment on the kids not checking out the car I say that's because of what most of the millennial generation considers to be success; there was a poll done in Playboy a few years ago that showed about 90% of millennials would rather have 1000 friends on social media than an exotic supercar. This thread is very entertaining lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

kes7u likes this.
  12. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes. I believe I read that article. I have ONLY ever read that magazine for the articles..... :D

Kevin

daytona355 and Airbus driver like this.
  13. Airbus driver

Airbus driver Rookie

Jul 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Timothy D DeZutti
    Funny thing is I was reading this article from the beginning and didn't realize it started in the early 2000's so therefore my comment does not apply. That would have been like me ignoring the car. Amazing how long this has been talked about, but entertaining nonetheless.
    Sent from my SM-G965U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think in general, the car scene is just terrible now. It's just a small dong waving contest. Who can get the most attention at cars and coffee from young boys. Maybe I'm just getting old and tired of everyone's ****.

Bullfighter and Viperjoe like this.
  15. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think it depends where - From my lens the "car culture" in Colorado is the best it has ever been. The various "Cars & Coffee's" are usually well-attended with great comradery across marques and genres - quite common to see "exotic" people chatting with hot-rodders and minimal if any friction between exotic marques - larger events like Automezzi and the recent Toy Run and annual Fall Foliage Tour have grown year over year and the mix grows as well. I have been part of the Colorado car culture for most of my life as a dreamer then Corvette owner then Porsche owner then multiple Ferrari and Porsche owner as well as tapped into the muscle car sub-culture via owning a Hellcat - From my lens it has always been quite healthy and very accepting as well as philanthropic.

Maybe it has to do with the great driving options and perhaps made better by the friendly competitiveness and proximity of the two primary exotic car dealers but from my lens it is great.

In response to the OP/initial scope of the thread, here is what I hear from my non-car aficionado friends as far as stereotypes <obviously some humor and not in agreement but in response to the thread> :D:D:eek:
    • Porsche ==> Successful, old and boring - Doesn't like a lot of attention - Usually decent drivers
    • Ferrari ==> Successful, middle age and exciting - Loves attention - Usually marginal drivers
    • Lambo ==> Thug rap star or newly-signed athlete - Knows nothing about the car - terrible drivers - will be modified to the point of nausea and then repossessed
    • McLaren ==> Snobby and elitist - probably on a 10-year lease - loves attention - loves the doors - decent drivers
    Cheers :cool:

Mmckee and Eric C like this.
  16. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Wow, old thread, but cool anyway. I would never want to compare Ferrari owners to Lambo owners as stereotypes, because the Lambo stereotype is way too accurate to debate. Once we get past the Ed Hardy/Affliction shirt collection, gold chains on top of the shirt, open shirts to the navel, mullet haircuts, and the rest of the absolutely factual parts of the image, then we have to start to get into the racing heritage between the two brands and it gets really quiet and awkward. The Lambo guy usually just makes a physical threat and storms off with his stripper girlfriend in tow, causing her giant fake lashes to come loose. I'd never want to get into that debate. It's like making fun of the entire Corvette Club and their jean shorts and white sneakers. Low hanging fruit. <laughing and waiting to see if they take the bait>

Eric C likes this.
  17. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hahahahahaha

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I personally think the two groups are more alike than they used to be because of cross ownership and competition.

When I joined here in 2005 to get some information on a possible 355 purchase, there was a lot of the elitist, nasty old guys who didn’t understand why a Ferrari would be compared with ANY car. And the Lamborghini guys were so welcoming and willing to help a new guy in any way they could, even inviting me over to drive their cars.

That is definitely not the case these days, cars are cross shopped all the time, with people realizing all the brands have pluses and minuses.

ralfabco and Shorn355 like this.
  19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #294 ralfabco, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    The general stereotype tagged to the marques are a joke.

Some of y'all are not in touch with reality.

Never had any Lamborghini t-shirts, shoes, and towels. A Lamborghini club member from another state gave me a hat from his club. The hat was used a few times while I was overseas. The last time I wore a necklace was during middle school and I also was experimenting with cologne. No use for a wrist watch either. My Nikes are less than $30.00 from the Las Vegas Premium outlet. Never had interest in any race car and none of my F cars would be appropriate to use on a track.

The freeway and back-roads are a lot of fun. Glad to know a few of you are using a car on the track and competing and winning races.