355 - Wooden Shift Ball | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Wooden Shift Ball

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, Sep 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Could just be the angle the photo was taken from. Notice the Ferrari text on the opposing curve of the included label is also skewed.

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well guys, the stunning conclusion is here now that I have my money back. It took a while! Good thing I payed via PayPal and documented everything from the beginning. I had to file a dispute with them to get my money back as the seller didn't appear to be motivated to do anything. I draw the line at outright fraud which is what we have here.
    These photos were taken immediately when received and opened the package. When you compare the photos of when I first posted this and these, you can clearly see the seller had torn part of the receipt to omit the part number which would prove this is not genuine Ferrari.
    The thing is these are very close in size to the normal knob and I know back then Ferrari's OEM aftermarket was not as homogeneous as it was now. Back then they had Ferrari Idea and there was also something with Scaglietti if I am not mistaken. The knobs did look period correct and I can't figure out why someone would go through the trouble making these. Given that there was fraud here and there are no independent verification to say they did make these its clear they are fake. However it can't be too far away from the factory.

I now want to take up wood working and make a some in black to match my car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Glad you recouped your money, fraudsters suck indeed.

All the same, it seems an oddball item to attempt to knock off, plus the seller went to the effort of "backing it up" with a torn parts receipt and bag (never mind producing them in the first place). Not having removed my shift ball before, is it threaded? If so, was the thread size correct?

A polished ebony shift knob with the correct font for the pattern could be pretty sweet. Speaking of bespoke customization, around 25 years ago I met a dentist who made a custom cavallino for the rear of his TR; he used the original cavallino to make a mold, then cast it in gold with rubies for eyes and diamonds in the mane. I understand he didn't leave it unattended on the car, haha. Have a pic of it somewhere.

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My 1952 MGTD knob split in my hand.

Because of the grain, they are so easy to split.

Matt