Ethiopian 737-8 MAX down. No survivors. | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Ethiopian 737-8 MAX down. No survivors.

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by RWatters, Mar 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    F
    Find that article because it covers the dynamics of ALL the control surfaces....the software is handling the interface, and then when you kill that with the thumb wheels, you had better be heads up flying because at take off thrust the flaps and the tail can end up fighting each other?

Or at least have to be controlled sympathetically.
    They made it sound like the low experience of the last crash just "forgot" they w=ere at full take off throttle as they freaked out over fighting the nose dive....

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Apparently at some point along the way, engineers at Boeing changed the dynamics of MCAS to be more aggressive (number of inputs increased, rate of each input increased) without going through the correct approvals and review. If so, it seems like that's where the process went wrong.

-F

3. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I thought it was fascinating reading and also enjoyed the author's perspective on Airbus vs. Boeing view of "airmanship".

showme1946 likes this.
  4. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    So the special counsel report finds the FAA misled Congress regarding the qualifications of its inspectors. You couldn’t make this stuff up.
    How can they hope to have any credibility when they appear to have broken the prime commandment incumbent on all participants in any accident investigation, which is to be open and honest in establishing the root cause.
    Imagine how well that will go down with Patrick Ky and EASA. Don’t expect to see any 737 max flying in European airspace any time soon.

Best to all.
    M

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    At some point Boeing moved its headquarters to Chicago and became run by MBAs. Other than Muilenberg there isn't an engineer on the board.

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I remember when Boeing announced that they were looking to move to somewhere (eventually leading to Chicago). I wasn't the only one that thought Boeing wasn't happy that the size of their local political clout had been greatly diminished by Microsoft.

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Frank Shrontz, not an engineer, did a pretty good job of running the company through the certification of the 777. Phil Condit, his successor and an engineer, not so much.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Not saying the CEO needs to be an engineer.
    But where there other engineers in top management/board.

9. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Shrontz and Condit were both President as well, a position that has much more sway over the general operation of the company than the Board. However, in this (MCAS) instance the critical decision making was/is made at more than one level below President, and no one above that would ever have any knowledge of the decisions, nor would they be expected to. The subordination of certification tasks to the OEM by the FAA is the real culprit IMHO, and akin to the fox guarding the chickens. Also many engineers really have no knowledge of certification requirements nor understand how their particular subject matter may impact others.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    An engineering driven company became a wall MBA driven company. Took 10 years or more for the cost cutting rot to set in, but we see the results.
    Like Dieselgate no one gave the order but it happened.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Condit was an absolute disaster. McNerny wasn't too great either. My opinion. Bill Allen was a lawyer and he saved the Boeing Company during some bad times. The company could use someone like Stamper or Mulally right now.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Being French I would be completly out of my element commenting on an US legal procedure, considering the difference in our respective Laws, but I found the first phrase of the Southwest's Union argument strongly echoing what has been written here:

Boeing “abandoned sound design and engineering practices, withheld safety critical information from regulators and deliberately misled its customers, pilots and the public about the true scope of design changes to the 737 MAX.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-southwest-lawsuit/southwest-pilots-sue-boeing-for-misleading-them-on-737-max-idUSKBN1WM290

Rgds

13. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    I find that article un-readable. There is a vast amount of analysis (eg this thread) on the 737 Max debacle and there has been some really good journalism, but this guy is just using the incident as a platform for a corporate-greed tirade. The historic trajectory of aviation has been an unrelenting trend toward lower average cost travel for customers, and an incredible record of ongoing improvements in safety. All in the context of globalization and a regulatory compliance environment second only to medicine in scope.
    There is plenty to learn from the Max episode about corporate decision making, competitive pressures and role of regulators. But I don’t think this author has anything helpful to contribute to the discussion.

14. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Thanks boxerman. That’s a very lucid and interesting article - it encapsulates perfectly the sad decline in traditional engineering which has caused the current tempest of problems besetting Boeing.

M

crinoid likes this.
  15. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I said early in this thread that if this was seen as a systemic failure rather than an MCAS issue then Boeing had a big problem with the Max.
    That’s how it’s played out and it will take a long time to rebuild confidence in their aircraft.....
    Maybe unfairly but whenever I fly now I’ll think “what else did they miss”. I’d rather avoid them for a couple of years.

boxerman likes this.
  16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/22/the-year-that-changed-boeing-airplane-maker-struggles-to-regain-footing-since-first-737-max-crash.html

I found it difficult to believe, back in the spring, those analysts that were saying that the "Max" would no fly before next year...nowadays, I do indeed wonder when confidence in the plane will be enough again for it to fully reach its commercial potential.
    We should not forget that Boeing is building superlative planes with the 777 and 787, but this is a large crisis nevertheless.

Rgds

17. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    It will recover but it will take time and there aren’t a lot of options out there.

Agree on the 777. My all time favourite plane, IMO shading the 747.
    I watched 21st Century Jet on its development and loved every minute of it.

The one thing I don’t agree with catching up on this thread is the criticism of the pilots. Only walking in their shoes would we know what was going on.....Planes generally want to fly, whereas these two plainly didn’t.

Early next year is optimistic in my view, especially with the recent reports/actions.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The French "newspaper of reference", "Le Monde", had an article this morning about the dismissing of the head of commercial airplanes division which says, about the return to commercial service:

Vendredi 18 octobre, Patrick Ky, président de l’Agence européenne de la sécurité aérienne (EASA), prévoyait que l’instance de régulation pourrait autoriser un retour en vol du MAX dès janvier 2020.
    « Pour moi, cela se fera en début d’année prochaine, si tout se passe bien. En l’état de ce que l’on sait aujourd’hui, nous avons prévu que nos vols d’essai aient lieu mi-décembre, ce qui signifie des décisions sur une remise en service en janvier de notre côté », indiquait M. Ky dans un entretien à l’agence Reuters.
    Cet optimisme ne semble plus de mise après la divulgation de messages internes entre des pilotes chargés de tester le MAX, qui ont révélé que le constructeur était au courant depuis février des problèmes de son nouveau moyen-courrier.

Quick translation in English:
    "On Friday, October 18th, Patrick Ky, President of the European Aerial Security Agency, foresaw that the regulation body could authorize the "MAX" to fly again in January 2020.
    "My personal opinion is that it will happen at the beginning of next year, if everything goes well. Considering what we know as for today, we have scheduled our test flights for mid-December, which means decisions in January allowing the return of the airplane to service, from our side", said Mr Ky in an interview to Reuters.
    This optimism does not seem to be rooted now, considering the internal exchanges between the pilots in charge of testing the MAX that have surfaced, and which indicates that the builder knew about the troubles of its new mid-range airplane"

Rgds

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  20. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #575 jcurry, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    The 777 has been a fantastic aircraft. Definitely a type I look for when choosing flights. Will be on a 748i next week with Lufthansa. Looking forward to that although I don't think it has the latest interior accommodations (no lie flat).

edit: just checked updated info. No 8i, just a plane old 744 (lol). Flat seats, but not the individual cubies. I'll suffer.

Boeing is definitely in a sort of crisis engineering wise. The 787 did not go that smoothly, and besides the battery issue there were a couple structural issues that arose late in the development program (e.g. side of body joint). The new 777 is also having some issues with engines (not Boeings fault) and also more structure related things (https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/business/boeing-777x-safety-test/index.html). Details are scarce on the actual failure and how it might impact certification.