Getting belt service on my Stradale - Is it time for new plugs? | FerrariChat

Getting belt service on my Stradale - Is it time for new plugs?

Discussion in '360/430' started by rzundel, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    I’m taking my Challenge Stradale into Ferrari LA for Belt Service and Fluid Changes. It only has 4900 miles. Do I need to change spark plugs? They haven’t been changed but with the low mileage I’ve been told no need to change them. Is that true?

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I had mine changed every 4 years or so despite low miles. Its cheap-ish in the scheme of ferrari ownership. When you say they haven't been changed...in "how long"? If its been over 4 years, no doubt I would change them. But your car obviously isn't really for driving (with 5k miles in 14 years, so how it drives is likely not much of a concern).

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    If the car is running well (it would run better if driven), leave them alone.

LARRYH likes this.
  4. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    #4 rzundel, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Thanks guys. I know you are both long time CS owners like myself so I appreciate the response. However different opinions and that is what has me confused. I agree that it’s a low cost maintenance item so better to lean into the wind. However at $400 I just want to make sure I’m not spending it on something totally unnecessary given my miles. Open to hear what others think.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Although the plugs have low miles on them, they have been screwed into the heads for 15 years now if they are original. It is a good idea to at least remove, inspect and either re-gap or replace them and reinstall them with anti-seize. You don't want the plugs to seize into the threads in the heads, as that is a very expensive repair.

6. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    That’s a great point to consider. And it only makes sense to replace them if you go through the labor of removing them. Thx!

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i say change them - what are you getting charged to do the belt service on the CS - curious where prices are on the other side of the country

8. rzundel

rzundel Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Southern California
    I’m being total all-in between $4-5k for the Service.

ttforcefed likes this.
  9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I thought that NGK discouraged the use of anti-seize because their plugs are already coated, not to mention that it affects the rather sensitive torque spec.

LARRYH likes this.
  10. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    they charged me $850 for the plugs replacement on a 458 (which i regretted doing now i know how to do it myself), at $400 it's a no brainer to do it just for the records of having it done. If you do it yourself it's prob just $200 and 1/2 a morning of work

ttforcefed likes this.
  11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    interesting i had the dealer quote me 400 per plug for a 12 cylinder I passed I could not imagine where he got those numbers it also only had 3500 miles on a 2011..crazy