Cancelled Pista Spider Orders | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Cancelled Pista Spider Orders

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scraggy, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Nah- I think it will do better than that.

Tell you what- friendly wager- if it goes to Msrp minus 20 in the next 5 years- I owe you a bottle of blue label.. if it does better- you send me a bottle. :)

WARPSPEED and boobernackle like this.
  2. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    I generally avoid engaging in price banter in the forum environment. I don't imply that there is anything wrong with these discussions, I have simply stopped trusting what I read in these kinds of exchanges. Perhaps a short anecdote will illustrate:

I recently owned a late model Porsche GT3. Over at that Porsche forum that starts with a Renn, there were discussions ad nauseum about just how much over MSRP one had to pay to have the pleasure of owning one of these ultra rare, ultra fine machines. I enjoyed the car, but inevitably decided to get rid of it to buy the next best thing. So, I packed it off to my local Porsche dealer (Scottsdale) to see if they had an interest in it. It had very low miles, pristine, etc, blah, blah, blah. The sales manager came to me, very apologetic, and told me they had no interest in even making an offer on the car. The basic message he delivered was that he didn't want to try to catch a falling knife. Thus, the much vaunted value of the cars as verified on the internet discussion forums did not resemble truth in any way shape or form. I went away disappointed, but decided I would simply list it on the aforementioned forum. Guess what? Exactly zero legitimate offers on the car for many weeks, from the very members who were professing all sorts of assurance about the fantastic value of the exact car that I was trying to sell. The truth of the matter is that price is determined by what a willing seller will pay a willing buyer on a given day. Such data are only available in the real world where real skin is in the game. Guys who own the cars but who are not selling and guys who don't own the cars but hope to buy one are poor sources of authority on pricing.

I have a Pista coming soon. As such, I will argue that they are incredibly valuable and will hold their value indefinitely. Heck, they will probably be a fantastic investment, and I ought to pull money out of my retirement plan to buy several. As it turns out, the guy who didn't get an allocation but would like to buy one will
    have the polar opposite view; the Pista is as turd and is worth nothing and Ferrari is going into the crapper for eternity, so please sell me your Pista for a discount. I find so very little objectivity when the agendas start to rear their ugly heads.

So, while these discussion are really interesting to read, and often contain excellent points, I pity the poor guy who relies on the information for anything other than academic debate or entertainment. Having said that, I will continue to read these discussions and enjoy them for what they are worth.

arnaget, kussetimii, FutureF and 27 others like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    done!

G. Pepper and SoCal to az like this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    There could be other factors that you don't know about, for example the buyer may have a long standing relationship with the dealer. There could have been money made up on trades or any number of other factors.

5. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #105 dmark1, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019

Care to have a second bet on that? For some Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr? Just to be sure we understand the terms you are saying the average 5 year old Pista will sell for less than 360,000.00 (the price that very few 5 year old Speciales are selling for NOW). (80% of an average 450K spec Speciale is how I arrived at that number

You might want to think that over...

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    One other thing to add - just go drive your car and enjoy it. If it holds value then awesome, if it doesn't at least you got use and enjoyment out of it. I doubt anyone that is spending 450K to 500k for a Pista is worried too much about taking a $50K hit in 2 years.

stavura, Bhh, IloveGT and 6 others like this.
  7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Correctamundo....

Xrayv8 likes this.
  8. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    With so many new models produced and also with increased quantity, I predict that in the near future the supercar market will take a big hit. I guess the Pista is no exception...

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Well said. The aforementioned forum is a **** show for stuff like that. I saw all the stuff go down with the ADMs on GT3 and RS. All of it nonsense. And your local porsche dealer is, well, lets just say I'm not a fan. They used to be my dealer. More full of BS than the aforementioned forum

IPO1 and FordGTDriver like this.
  10. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Definitely resonates !

11. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    So true, all I wanted was the new GT4 Spider (and I have had a few cars) and they make it like I want to sleep with Meghan Markle. I almost hope it turns to have a laugh at how they cope with the new business environment.

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    So true (great post) and what many of my buddies have seen with 812, which is on for fantasy prices on SOR

Thecadster and FordGTDriver like this.
  13. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    There is nobody with a Pista that had thought to cancel because of the F8.

That'll keep values up for a while. I feel the 488 is stunning, but the F8 is terrible, not even factoring in the sound debacle.

812 never had a chance.

14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I had heard the same thing about difficulty getting an allocation. A friend of mine tried to get an allocation but cou
    Speaking to that point, a friend went to a dealer (last November/December) to get a Pista Spider or a coupe if he could get an allocation. He was told he could have neither so he ordered an F8 (not sure if a coupe or spider). A couple weeks later the dealer called him back and said they had a Pista coupe he could have immediately and did he want it as he was on the top of the dealer’s list of calls. Long story short he came and got the Pista and canceled his F8 order. Funny thing though, that they said they would not do the deal without his 458 Spider as trade? He had been thinking of keeping it or selling it himself as it was a pretty and well optioned car. Had I known it was available I would have been very interested.
    My guess the Pista sale fell out and the dealer had a buyer for the 458 Spider?:rolleyes:

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    let dmark know if there's one available think he's interested.

16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don’t know my friend didn’t mention any others available and this was several months ago.
    But just goes to the point - we need to all give ourselves a dope slap after we walk out of any dealership and actually believe 50% of what we were just told. The stories vary by the day, customer and dealership. It is just a story until a car and $$$ actually change hands. IMO:D:D:D

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is very true. When it’s time to buy the car is ot, the market is hot, allocations are limited.

When it’s time to sell, the market is soft, the car is not as popular. Funny how that works.

Having said that- Pista is/was a tough ticket. Not easy to get.

randkin likes this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m surprised people even associate the Pista and F8 as being comparable, they really aren’t.
    They are targeting different customers and different intended uses.

19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I just read this thread and while I did not get a PISTA anyone buying any of these new Ferraris just to flip ..I think those days are over for now . Ferrari has learned from Porsche they are now offering more models then anyone wants and building all they can sell ...

20. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    It’s called being a public company and pleasing analysts and shareholders versus car enthusiasts . I hope they go private

21. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    #121 njcycleguy, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Two of the most correct quotes on pricing and values I've read in these forums. That Porsche forum is the reason those "ADMs" exist. All hyped up non buyers created this demand that made people feel they "had to get in". I remember in 2015 walking into my local Porsche dealer asking about GT3s just because I thought it was a cool car and they had solved the engine issues with the earlier cars - the GM laughed while showing me a stack of orders accompanied by check deposits. He even showed me next 991.2 deposits (which hadn't even been announced at the time).

I will say that the GT3 market was indeed stupid hot but has fallen out from under a lot of people. New body 992 is the reason IMHO. The majority of the market doesn't want an old body style car no matter who insane the car may be (ala GT2 RS). I luckily sold my 2015 GT3 a few months back when my Pista came in. I had a wholesaler back out on my GT3 after we had a deal because he overestimated the market on them (ended up taking $8k less from Ferrari dealer and now they have it and are sitting on it ). I'm glad I'm out of the Porsche GT game. Way worse than the Ferrari game.

To that point - all this speculating here (and yes I am a Pista owner) is just that - speculation. So I'll jump in. I am one who believes the Pista values (coupe and spider) will remain strong and over MSRP. I have never said this in the past about new Ferrari's ever- but the F8 and the SF90 don't do much for me and I'm sure a lot of others. I'm sure they will be awesome cars performance wise but I don't think right now it gets much better than the Pista styling wise. And performance-wise it is absolutely incredible, hands down an entire, no compromise Ferrari experience that made us all fall in love with the marque in one package. It has renewed my love for the brand and gives me chills every time I've driven it moreso than any modern Ferrari I've owned in the past 5 years.

TJspyder, Bundy, FordGTDriver and 2 others like this.
  22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Bingo! It means the so called mutual loyalty between the dealers and buyers can easily be displaced by whoever walks in and is willing to buy 3 cars to get an allocation that is used to be only for those "select ones"

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    991.1.21.21.213.4.5???

All the same to me. Porsche played it well while they could, albeit some serious butt hurt by customers.
    The 911R was a good laugh though.

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m looking for a new daily. Tossing around the idea of a GT3 or the s coupe. One more sporty and fun, the other luxurious.

But I will tell you it’s comical to see the gt3 guys cry that their car isn’t worth msrp after a year. Omg- I lost 20k. Forget all the fun you had driving it. It’s not a freaking investment.

I’ve put out some feelers and I have s feeling I’m gonna get a great deal from some poor sap who overextended himself cause he thought his gt3 purchase was gonna make him a millionaire and now can’t afford it and has to get out ASAP.

I’ll sit patiently and wait for the right deal to come along. In zero rush.

ttforcefed likes this.
  25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont know crap about the punch buggies you guys speak of - but if the car makes you fall in love in won't matter to most people if its +/- 20 percent around sticker. as long as the buyers are excited the money shldnt matter too much. by all accounts from people i trust, the pista is amazing and carries the torch from the speciale. back to the original post, i cant see people canceling spider orders. those will most likely carry a premium and will be tradeable for the person who wants the liquidity.

Bhh likes this.